SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benelli SBE experts please step inside.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benelli SBE experts please step inside. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I’ve always been a Browning man but I have the opportunity to buy a NIB SBE I (the original) at around $900. Any pros or cons? Is the SBE III really that much better than a SBEI or an A5?
Thanks!

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BB - We have two (my son and I) and I would guess that I have 3000 + rounds thru mine without a single issue....I have had to wash mine SBE off at the local car wash several times after duck hunting because of the mud....but it was still cycling when I left the slews....

I prefer the SBE 1 because it allows you to utilize the extra “ghost” round...This is a method that will allow you to actually carry an extra round in the shotgun over the planned capacity. Not having owned or shot a SBE2 I cannot tell you which I prefer but our two shotguns have been flawless....I think I bought mine about 20 years ago....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about the SBE3. I researched the differences between the SBE and SBE2 a couple years ago when I was shopping for one. Honestly I can't remember what the difference is. lol One was they changed the rib on the 2 so it pointed better for most people? (something like that)

Other changes may have been similar to the changes between the M1 and M2, made a few parts easier to manufacture, added the comfortech stock etc.

I bought a well used SBE for $700 or $750 as a result of my searching. I decided I didn't need the "extras" that came with a lot of extra price.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got an original SBE, SBE 2, had a SBE 3.
Also have 3 M2's and an original Nova.

My original SBE is the one I grab when I know conditions are going to suck. It just keeps on ticking. It was factory Advantage Timber pattern.
The SBE 2 I bought just to have a backup to the SBE and it was in Bottomland and I just freaking wanted it.
Differences between the SBE and SBE 2 are mainly the stock (SBE 2 has comfort tech) and they changed the chokes to Crio plus.

The choke change really doesn't mean diddly. The original SBE has the same choke type as the Beretta 300 series. So there are a shit ton of aftermarket as well as the very nice Beretta competition type extended chokes to choose from.

The originals's stock has always been fine for me. Yeah, the comfort plus is nice, but it isn't a game changer.

I won the SBE 3 at a DU dinner. I never even shot it. It is supposed to have some refined features, but my buddies teenage son was drooling over it so he and I traded some stuff so he could give the kid the SBE 3 for his upcoming birthday. I really couldn't tell all that much difference between the 3 and my 2 other than the stock and a fancy bolt knob.

Long story short, you can't go wrong with the original SBE. Mine has had some pretty tough Arkansas duck hunts and dragged around on a ton of turkey hunts and the finish is still going strong and it doesn't miss a beat.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I think I’ll move on it. A NIB SBE seems like a no brainer (Even if I’m a Browning fanboy). This one also comes with an original plus 2 Benelli magazine extension and spring - not sure what I’ll do with them.

To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I'd jump on the SBE. I have a SBE2, a M1 (sbs), and a M2 field. The m2 is a back up for hunting and usually use it for clays since its still all black. The SBE got spray bombed.

As its been said, the stock and choke system were the 2 big changes. Muller and Briley do chokes for both thread patterns so its a wash. I can't tell much of a difference in felt recoil between with or without the comfortech stock.

I love the A5, but given the choice the benelli gets the win everyday in my book.

I do recommend you get the lifter welded up though. Not sure if taran is selling them to fit the sbe series or not (have it on the m2), but c rums did my sbe and m1. Basically stops you're fingers from getting pinched while loading. I don't think any of the first sbe's have the extra notch so you could ghost load, but if you cant the notch on the carrier can be ground flat. Outside of that, I do recommend a bigger safety if you're wearing gloves (again not sure if that was factory on the original sbe's, it wasnt on the m1 but was on my m2). If you want a larger charging handle any of the m2 ones should fit as well. All of those parts are easy to change or remove as well.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
...comes with an original plus 2 Benelli magazine extension and spring - not sure what I’ll do with them.

My SBE Wink

Theory was it would be a lighter turkey gun (lighter than my single 10) and a backup gun to my M2 for matches. Seemed like a viable excuse. Smile

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
...comes with an original plus 2 Benelli magazine extension and spring - not sure what I’ll do with them.

My SBE Wink

Theory was it would be a lighter turkey gun (lighter than my single 10) and a backup gun to my M2 for matches. Seemed like a viable excuse. Smile

^^^^^^^^^
Very nice!!!

posted Hide Post
I have an original sbe by H&K. It has been to Argentina a dozen times and has well over 20000 rounds. Never had an issue, it is truely the energizer bunny. After about 1000 rounds I will notice it slowing down a bit, but just pull out the bolt, wipe it down and good to go.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Great deal at 1k.
I paid 1400 for mine in the early 2000's.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
I’m certainly no expert but I have several thousand rounds through my SBE3. I love it and it’s a machine. I have duck hunted with it in murky swamps and shot geese with ice hanging off the barrel.

Be warned, the SBE shoots high. I think the spec is +6” and -0” at 20 yards. That’s a foot at 40 yards. Once you know this it’s no issue but if not you tend to shoot over everything

Posts: 396 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Mostly doing upland hunting, my Dad's SBE is usually our backup gun on trips for Pheasant. It is his duck/goose gun all the time (He uses a Beneli Ultralight, I go for a Beretta A400 Lite for upland duties). I've killed pheasants and clays with it several times (not due to my Beretta choking however, just for a change of pace) and it is a fine machine. If I had to have one gun for upland, waterfowl, and clays - it would be on my list. That being said, last year I bought a Miroku built Browning A5 Light 12 with screw in chokes - a grail gun for me and my new do everything gun. Long recoil and
designed by the master - JMB.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
That being said, last year I bought a Miroku built Browning A5 Light 12 with screw in chokes - a grail gun for me and my new do everything gun. Long recoil and
designed by the master - JMB.

^^^^^^^^
I still think the original A5 is the most reliable and durable A5.

posted Hide Post
Had my SBE for 18 years and will not part with it. The newer ones could not entice me to upgrade.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post