SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    WTB: Full Size AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTB: Full Size AR Login/Join 
posted
Anyone building a Full Size AR?

I am talking about triangle hand guard version. Not the retro stuff colt is pumping out.

Recommendations for purchasing one are appreciated..

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Off the top of my head, the answer is no. Most manufacturers are building standard A2/A3 configurations for full size rifles. You can always look for a Colt SP1, or the early second gen of that rifle (which still used the triangle handguard). But, for either of those expect to pay a premium.

Best bet would be to build your own the way you want it.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The more I have looked into it. The more I realize that is what I am going to do. I will post photos once it is done.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Up until a few years ago, you used to be able to find M16A1 parts kits for $300-$500. (They'd come with everything you need, except the lower receiver and pencil barrel.)

Looks like there are a few places that still have them, but they've nearly doubled in price.

http://whatacountry.com/colt-m16a1-parts-kit.aspx

quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
Not the retro stuff colt is pumping out.

Yeah, Colt's retro M16A1s are cool, but are hilariously overpriced at ~$2500.

Posts: 32487 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Take a look at http://www.fulton-armory.com. The do make an A2 version but also sell A1 triangular hand guards. You can also give them a call. I have found that they will do whatever you want.

There are other options if you want to build one yourself but that would be on a reproduction receiver set. As Rogue said, I haven't see an M16A1 parts kit in over a year now.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Shooting an A1 will make you realize how much they got wrong with the A2.

20 inch barrel and lighter than a 14.5 M4 carbine.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

Truth.

I used to have a M16A4 clone, with government profile barrel and M5 RAS, and really disliked the excess weight out front. I ended up trading it off several years ago.

My buddy's A1 with pencil barrel and plastic handguards is noticeably better balanced, and nearly 2 pounds lighter than my A4.

Posts: 32487 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

Truth.

I used to have a M16A4 clone, with government profile barrel and M5 RAS, and really disliked the excess weight out front. I ended up trading it off several years ago.

My buddy's A1 with pencil barrel and plastic handguards is noticeably better balanced, and nearly 2 pounds lighter than my A4.

I forget where I found it, but there was a report somewhere that made some assertions about some of the wrongheaded stuff that got the A2 made like it was.

For example the straightness gauges that they used to test barrels were getting caught on a bur of copper that would develop at gas port in the barrel.

The barrel was actually straight, but the straightness gauge would not drop through.

Solution? Make the barrel a lot heavier!

Then there was the extra long stock that was suitable for High-Power shooting stance but not much else, and the target style sights.

The only thing that they got right was the improved material used in the stock and handguards, and the large/small aperture rear sight.

They should have made A1 dimension furniture from the new material, left the barrels and ergonomics alone, and added a large/small aperture sight where the small aperture would be drilled for proper zero at ~400 yards when the large aperture was zeroed at 200.

Moot point now, with a huge array of civilian choices for barrel profiles, and optics largely supplanting iron sights.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Side note:

I can't believe how much the old Colt kits cost now.

I had half a notion to snap up 3 or 4 of them back then they were ~$250. Wish I had. I would like to build a few more. I'm glad I snagged one at least.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Green Mountain barrels offer a close reproduction barrel M16A1 20" pencil barrel with 1/12 twist.
You would have to get the front sight pinned on for extra cost.
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/g...-12-twist-20-barrel/

Posts: 183 | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post