SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SIG Sauer Cross Rifle: SIG Returns to the Bolt Action Market
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Sauer Cross Rifle: SIG Returns to the Bolt Action Market Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
https://www.recoilweb.com/sig-...n-market-155231.html

Well that's a long time coming.
Sig's been out of the bolt gun game for a long while.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I'll be following this, because I've been interested in getting back into the bolt rifle game with one of these new generation guns like the Ruger RPR.

It looks a bit more substantial/less plasticky than the RPR from those photos, but that's just an impression. Especially the stock looks more durable. Same price point MSRP as the RPR too.

What do we know about this 277 Fury cartridge?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I assume the 277 fury is the non metric name for their new round.

There's "some" pics and info here:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com...ation-squad-weapons/

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
ooo it’s even on the sig site now

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-cross-rifle.html

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Proprietary bolt gun from a company has a history of dumping rifle designs and isn’t known for bolt guns. I didn’t buy a Daniel Defense bolt gun and I certainly won’t buy a Sig. Just too many amazing bolt guns from tried and true designs with massive support for me to buy something that won’t be around for too long.

I love my Sig MCX Virtuses, but I’ll stick to Bergara’s in this price range and custom builds for bigger budget bolt guns.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

Well, we know they picked a stupid caliber so they could have a different number from everybody else.

Out of all the common and semi-common calibers between .224" and .308", .277" (which is what is used in a .270 Winchester and 6.8 SPC) has the worst selection of bullets for medium and long range shooting. When I last looked maybe 5 years ago there literally was not a single good long range bullet available from any manufacturer at any cost in .277".

I think Berger makes one now, not sure if anyone else does.

To be clear, I'm not saying .270 Winchester or 6.8 SPC are stupid. .270 is a perfectly reasonable hunting cartridge and 6.8 SPC makes a certain amount of sense in a compact, close-range carbine. This is not a hunting rifle or a carbine.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What is a “bayonet firing pin”?

quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

It’s touted as having a “hybrid case,” so my guess is also that it’s what SIG came up for the proposed replacements for the M4 and M249 that’s been discussed recently.
Another article:

“As part of the NGSW effort, the Army tasked gunmakers to develop a common cartridge using the government-designed 6.8mm projectile.

“Sig engineered a ‘completely new cartridge,’ resulting in a ‘more compact round, with increased velocity and accuracy, while delivering a substantial reduction in the weight of the ammunition,’ according to a Sept. 3 company news release.

“The high-pressure, 6.8mm hybrid ammunition is a ‘significant leap forward in ammunition innovation, design and manufacturing,’ Ron Cohen, president and CEO of Sig, said in the release.”

Link

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to like this thing. Fancier than the RPR and not as spendy as The Fix, and yet it seems like buying any of the chassis systems on the market, a tried and true action, and a great barrel would be cheaper, more rewarding, and dare I say, more accurate.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Proprietary bolt gun from a company has a history of dumping rifle designs and isn’t known for bolt guns. I didn’t buy a Daniel Defense bolt gun and I certainly won’t buy a Sig. Just too many amazing bolt guns from tried and true designs with massive support for me to buy something that won’t be around for too long

^^^^^^^
This.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:

Who do you believe is building Blaser, Mauser and Sauer bolt action rifles? The SIGSauer 205, STR and 3000 ar still being made and successfuly used.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:

Who do you believe is building Blaser, Mauser and Sauer bolt action rifles? The SIGSauer 205, STR and 3000 ar still being made and successfuly used.

I think he’s referring to SigSauer USA...ie Exeter, which has earned its dumpster fire status.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig's rifle looks similar to The Fix by Q. It would be interesting to know if they are completely separate designs, or if they share parts/manufacturing/design.

Interesting move on Sig's part -- catering to the low-weight precision market. Time will tell how the 277 Fury works out.

I have no dog in this fight. I have Defiance actions -- Remy 700 footprint -- and have no desire to change.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I heard a bolt gun was coming. I was hoping for something similar to my Sig SHR 970 a more traditional hunting rifle with caliber swap barrels.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"If" they win the Army contract, the new caliber will be a big winner.

Looks like a solid rifle and even if Sig gets out of the bolt game and there is no parts support in a few years....99% of buyers won't ever shoot out a single barrel.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Anyone know?

An internet search produced several references to the term, but not an explanation or definition that I could find.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Sig's rifle looks similar to The Fix by Q. It would be interesting to know if they are completely separate designs, or if they share parts/manufacturing/design.

Interesting move on Sig's part -- catering to the low-weight precision market. Time will tell how the 277 Fury works out.

I have no dog in this fight. I have Defiance actions -- Remy 700 footprint -- and have no desire to change.

Social media posts by Q suggest that Sig ripped off the appearance. Not sure about actual design.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if it is perhaps like the design of a glock firing pin where it is a rectangular shaped pin striking the primer VS a more traditional round shape?
quote:
quote:

Anyone know?

An internet search produced several references to the term, but not an explanation or definition that I could find.

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Social media posts by Q suggest that Sig ripped off the appearance. Not sure about actual design.

This post made me wonder how the Steyr lawsuit turned out. Apparently it’s still ongoing two years later.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Anyone know?

A bayonet firing pin or firing pin assembly simply twist out of the bolt w/o tools. Bighorn, Bat Machine, Barnard.. are a few actions using a bayonet firing pin assembly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSM3CYOcGgI

At about 2:40

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

a tried and true action, and a great barrel would be cheaper, more rewarding, and dare I say, more accurate.

Exactly!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post