SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "By then I also had an 08 Maxim that I found playing around in my aunt's attic." Dolf Goldsmith, teenage MG'er interviewed by Small Arms Review.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"By then I also had an 08 Maxim that I found playing around in my aunt's attic." Dolf Goldsmith, teenage MG'er interviewed by Small Arms Review. Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted
Ummm, sez mr k to his Aunt Elaine, do you object if I clamber up into your attic? Why? Well... no real reason just to play around and maybe to tote out any old Maxim machine guns that could be cached above. This fellow Dolf and his aunt...

http://www.smallarmsreview.com...e.cfm?idarticles=125

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Great article. Dolf is one of the foremost experts on machine guns.

I have a number of his books on the Browning MGs, as well as his book on the Maxim.

I'd love to also have his book on the Vickers, but it's long out of print, and used copies are going for many hundreds of dollars.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Here is Part 2 of the above interview.

http://www.smallarmsreview.com...e.cfm?idarticles=123

I personally know Dolf and have can honestly say he is one of the most interesting people I can think of. He is extremely literate and speaks seven languages fluently. If you ever need something translated from or into Malay, he is your man. Dolf just had his 90th birthday a couple weeks ago and is still going strong. Nothing keeps him down.

The information in these two interviews is priceless, but it only scratches the surface of Dolf's life. The details are unbelievable. For example, his discovery of an extremely rare French machine gun sitting is a San Antonio warehouse. It had been sitting there after it was captured by the US Marine Corps during the Spanish American War.

Here are a few pictures I have taken of him over the years at various shooting sessions:

Dolf instructing my buddy Brad on how to shoot a Vickers.

Dolf shooting the breeze at the last Keith Allison ranch machine gun July 4th shoot.

Dolf shooting a P210.

Dolf shooting an AMT.

Dolf happy with his shooting performance with an MP5.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
He looks familiar. Years back a gentleman looking like him let me shoot his Maxim at a range in North Georgia. Surely just coincidence. Regardless he was knowledgeable, enthusiastically generous with his beautiful Maxim.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
What a great interview. Is there one of his books that might be recommended?

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Is there one of his books that might be recommended?

Depends on what you want to know. He's written several authoritative, in-depth reference tomes on the history, development, and use of various families of medium and heavy machineguns. All are excellent.

(Just keep in mind that these are reference books... They're not exactly "light reading".)

"The Devil's Paintbrush" is about the Maxim machinegun.

"The Grand Old Lady of No Man's Land" is about the Vickers machinegun.

And he has a 5 Volume set on the various Browning machineguns.

Vol. 1 is about US military rifle caliber Browning MGs.

Vol. 2 is about foreign military rifle caliber Browning MGs.

Vol. 3 is about Browning MG accessories and mounts.

Vol. 4 is about .50 caliber Browning MGs.

Vol. 5 is a guide for building/repairing/maintaining Browning MGs.

His Maxim and Browning books are still relatively readily available. His Vickers book is long out of print and in high demand, with steep prices for used copies.

I own his Maxim book and Volumes 1-4 of his Browning books. I hope to find an affordable copy of his Vickers book someday.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post