SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Piston upper manufacturers - who are they?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piston upper manufacturers - who are they? Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted
Other than Sig and Adams Arms, who else makes and sells piston uppers?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
off the top of my head..

barret
stag
lwrc

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
PWS or LWRC would be my choice.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
POF
LMT

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
I was going to say Rock River Arms.

But a check of their site and it appears they no longer make any piston driven rifles or uppers.

I know they did in the past.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/...isplay&category_id=6

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike S:

Same here.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike S:

Same here.

Ditto. Plus LMT.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, those all are great suggestions. Does anyone know if Colt offers them? My Google-fu isn't too sharp tonight and all I see is a 6920 variation.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
HK

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Colt DID offer a piston AR but discontinued it. Hence a decent number of Colt lowers marked “PISTON AR” on the market.

I think that the 5.56 piston AR market is a dead end, except for niche weapons (HK416) and purpose built weapons.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
S&W also made a piston AR for a short time,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I think that the 5.56 piston AR market is a dead end, except for niche weapons (HK416) and purpose built weapons.

Uncertain with this, but I think there is a much bigger market for DI AR-15s.

I have one piston upper, an LWRC that I won in competition. I strongly considered selling it, but decided to keep it. My thoughts were to use it as a high-volume training upper, for close-ish distance drills while suppressed. After a lot of ammo accuracy testing, that's exactly what this upper will be good at. The piston system is great for keeping the BCG clean.

The LWRC piston system produces a little sharper recoil than my DI rifles. Not a huge difference, but enough that I notice it in accuracy from barriers and unsupported positions. At first I found it bit more challenging to keep sights exactly on target all the way through the recoil cycle. I'm pretty certain my AR shooting technique has improved -- in order to shoot the piston system as well as my DI systems.

LWRC has a reputation for accuracy, but in all honesty my 14.5" 1/7 twist fluted barrel is way more finicky with ammo than any of my three 16" barrels from Wilson combat. The retired Wilson had a 1/9 twist, the current ones are 1/8 twist. I never did find a 73-77 grain factory load that shot up to my standards in the LWRC. I really only obtained great accuracy from loads with 69 grain SMK bullets -- Federal, Aussie Outback, and Copper Creek. However, once I realized the 69 SMK was good to go, I have a high-volume beater upper that shoots well to 500 yards. FGMM 69 has produced 5-round 100-yard groups from .65" to 1.15", with six of those groups under .95". Copper Creek's range from .53" to 1.52", with four groups .96" or less. This is from a 2-10x scope, not an uber-powered Hubble-class optic.

I can't see myself buying another piston AR-15 upper. I just don't think they're in the accuracy league of my DI uppers. While the piston uppers certainly require less cleaning and lube, I have never had my DI uppers malfunction in practice, training, or competition.

For most shooters, I think a piston upper should work just fine. Cleaning is definitely a plus. Downsides include a little more weight to the upper (for most models) and generally a proprietary operating system. Probably a little higher cost, too. Marginally more difficult to shoot with precision & accuracy.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Sig's MCX but finding one as an upper is difficult if not impossible.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 808:
I was going to say Rock River Arms.

But a check of their site and it appears they no longer make any piston driven rifles or uppers.

I know they did in the past.

They still do.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/...splay&category_ID=19

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have had a CMMG piston (CMMG M4LEP PISTON AR-15 QUAD RAIL) for 9.5 years. I don't see piston uppers or complete guns on CMMG's site today.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

A bit off the subject of piston uppers only, who makes a good 6.8 SPC II SBR upper (8"-12") that will work with my LMT CQB Defender registered lower? I find most of the 6.8 uppers to be in 16" (or longer) bbl length. LMT has one in the CQB line, I know, but it is pricey.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
PWS would be my choice.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
PWS would be my choice.

Do you have a link? I don't see a single upper (or complete rifle) in 6.8 SPC on their site.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Wolf

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post