SIGforum
Piston upper manufacturers - who are they?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/5010033944

November 07, 2018, 02:37 PM
craigcpa
Piston upper manufacturers - who are they?
Other than Sig and Adams Arms, who else makes and sells piston uppers?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫
November 07, 2018, 03:09 PM
CandyMan.45
https://www.pewpewtactical.com...ers-conversion-kits/
November 07, 2018, 03:58 PM
creslin
off the top of my head..

barret
stag
lwrc

This is where my signature goes.
November 07, 2018, 04:11 PM
Mike S
PWS or LWRC would be my choice.
November 07, 2018, 06:07 PM
POF
LMT

Q

November 07, 2018, 06:27 PM
I was going to say Rock River Arms.

But a check of their site and it appears they no longer make any piston driven rifles or uppers.

I know they did in the past.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/...isplay&category_id=6

November 07, 2018, 08:54 PM
ARMT Guy
quote:
Originally posted by Mike S:

Same here.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

November 07, 2018, 09:17 PM
WARPIG602
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike S:

Same here.

Ditto. Plus LMT.

November 07, 2018, 09:47 PM
craigcpa
Thanks guys, those all are great suggestions. Does anyone know if Colt offers them? My Google-fu isn't too sharp tonight and all I see is a 6920 variation.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫
November 08, 2018, 11:43 AM
Black92LX
HK

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
November 08, 2018, 11:47 AM
RHINOWSO
Colt DID offer a piston AR but discontinued it. Hence a decent number of Colt lowers marked “PISTON AR” on the market.

I think that the 5.56 piston AR market is a dead end, except for niche weapons (HK416) and purpose built weapons.
November 08, 2018, 01:56 PM
lyman
S&W also made a piston AR for a short time,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

November 08, 2018, 02:47 PM
fritz
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I think that the 5.56 piston AR market is a dead end, except for niche weapons (HK416) and purpose built weapons.

Uncertain with this, but I think there is a much bigger market for DI AR-15s.

I have one piston upper, an LWRC that I won in competition. I strongly considered selling it, but decided to keep it. My thoughts were to use it as a high-volume training upper, for close-ish distance drills while suppressed. After a lot of ammo accuracy testing, that's exactly what this upper will be good at. The piston system is great for keeping the BCG clean.

The LWRC piston system produces a little sharper recoil than my DI rifles. Not a huge difference, but enough that I notice it in accuracy from barriers and unsupported positions. At first I found it bit more challenging to keep sights exactly on target all the way through the recoil cycle. I'm pretty certain my AR shooting technique has improved -- in order to shoot the piston system as well as my DI systems.

LWRC has a reputation for accuracy, but in all honesty my 14.5" 1/7 twist fluted barrel is way more finicky with ammo than any of my three 16" barrels from Wilson combat. The retired Wilson had a 1/9 twist, the current ones are 1/8 twist. I never did find a 73-77 grain factory load that shot up to my standards in the LWRC. I really only obtained great accuracy from loads with 69 grain SMK bullets -- Federal, Aussie Outback, and Copper Creek. However, once I realized the 69 SMK was good to go, I have a high-volume beater upper that shoots well to 500 yards. FGMM 69 has produced 5-round 100-yard groups from .65" to 1.15", with six of those groups under .95". Copper Creek's range from .53" to 1.52", with four groups .96" or less. This is from a 2-10x scope, not an uber-powered Hubble-class optic.

I can't see myself buying another piston AR-15 upper. I just don't think they're in the accuracy league of my DI uppers. While the piston uppers certainly require less cleaning and lube, I have never had my DI uppers malfunction in practice, training, or competition.

For most shooters, I think a piston upper should work just fine. Cleaning is definitely a plus. Downsides include a little more weight to the upper (for most models) and generally a proprietary operating system. Probably a little higher cost, too. Marginally more difficult to shoot with precision & accuracy.
November 08, 2018, 03:36 PM
rscalzo
Sig's MCX but finding one as an upper is difficult if not impossible.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net
November 08, 2018, 04:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 808:
I was going to say Rock River Arms.

But a check of their site and it appears they no longer make any piston driven rifles or uppers.

I know they did in the past.

They still do.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/...splay&category_ID=19

Q

November 08, 2018, 04:12 PM
tatortodd
I have had a CMMG piston (CMMG M4LEP PISTON AR-15 QUAD RAIL) for 9.5 years. I don't see piston uppers or complete guns on CMMG's site today.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
November 09, 2018, 08:41 AM
henryaz

A bit off the subject of piston uppers only, who makes a good 6.8 SPC II SBR upper (8"-12") that will work with my LMT CQB Defender registered lower? I find most of the 6.8 uppers to be in 16" (or longer) bbl length. LMT has one in the CQB line, I know, but it is pricey.

When in doubt, mumble
November 09, 2018, 10:29 AM
smschulz
PWS would be my choice.
November 09, 2018, 07:43 PM
henryaz
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
PWS would be my choice.

Do you have a link? I don't see a single upper (or complete rifle) in 6.8 SPC on their site.

When in doubt, mumble
November 11, 2018, 07:23 PM
10X-Shooter
Wolf