SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Piston upper manufacturers - who are they?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piston upper manufacturers - who are they? Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted
Other than Sig and Adams Arms, who else makes and sells piston uppers?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7059 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1069 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
off the top of my head..

barret
stag
lwrc

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 867 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
PWS or LWRC would be my choice.

Posts: 4455 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16472 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
I was going to say Rock River Arms.

But a check of their site and it appears they no longer make any piston driven rifles or uppers.

I know they did in the past.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/...isplay&category_id=6

Posts: 1044 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike S:

Same here.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 6901 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike S:

Same here.

Ditto. Plus LMT.

Posts: 7218 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, those all are great suggestions. Does anyone know if Colt offers them? My Google-fu isn't too sharp tonight and all I see is a 6920 variation.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7059 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
HK

--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard

Posts: 19649 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Colt DID offer a piston AR but discontinued it. Hence a decent number of Colt lowers marked “PISTON AR” on the market.

I think that the 5.56 piston AR market is a dead end, except for niche weapons (HK416) and purpose built weapons.

Posts: 40000 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
S&W also made a piston AR for a short time,

www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Posts: 7047 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I think that the 5.56 piston AR market is a dead end, except for niche weapons (HK416) and purpose built weapons.

Uncertain with this, but I think there is a much bigger market for DI AR-15s.

I have one piston upper, an LWRC that I won in competition. I strongly considered selling it, but decided to keep it. My thoughts were to use it as a high-volume training upper, for close-ish distance drills while suppressed. After a lot of ammo accuracy testing, that's exactly what this upper will be good at. The piston system is great for keeping the BCG clean.

The LWRC piston system produces a little sharper recoil than my DI rifles. Not a huge difference, but enough that I notice it in accuracy from barriers and unsupported positions. At first I found it bit more challenging to keep sights exactly on target all the way through the recoil cycle. I'm pretty certain my AR shooting technique has improved -- in order to shoot the piston system as well as my DI systems.

LWRC has a reputation for accuracy, but in all honesty my 14.5" 1/7 twist fluted barrel is way more finicky with ammo than any of my three 16" barrels from Wilson combat. The retired Wilson had a 1/9 twist, the current ones are 1/8 twist. I never did find a 73-77 grain factory load that shot up to my standards in the LWRC. I really only obtained great accuracy from loads with 69 grain SMK bullets -- Federal, Aussie Outback, and Copper Creek. However, once I realized the 69 SMK was good to go, I have a high-volume beater upper that shoots well to 500 yards. FGMM 69 has produced 5-round 100-yard groups from .65" to 1.15", with six of those groups under .95". Copper Creek's range from .53" to 1.52", with four groups .96" or less. This is from a 2-10x scope, not an uber-powered Hubble-class optic.

I can't see myself buying another piston AR-15 upper. I just don't think they're in the accuracy league of my DI uppers. While the piston uppers certainly require less cleaning and lube, I have never had my DI uppers malfunction in practice, training, or competition.

For most shooters, I think a piston upper should work just fine. Cleaning is definitely a plus. Downsides include a little more weight to the upper (for most models) and generally a proprietary operating system. Probably a little higher cost, too. Marginally more difficult to shoot with precision & accuracy.

Posts: 5569 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Sig's MCX but finding one as an upper is difficult if not impossible.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 4939 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 808:
I was going to say Rock River Arms.

But a check of their site and it appears they no longer make any piston driven rifles or uppers.

I know they did in the past.

They still do.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/...splay&category_ID=19

Posts: 16472 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have had a CMMG piston (CMMG M4LEP PISTON AR-15 QUAD RAIL) for 9.5 years. I don't see piston uppers or complete guns on CMMG's site today.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 16657 | Location: N. Houston, TX | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

A bit off the subject of piston uppers only, who makes a good 6.8 SPC II SBR upper (8"-12") that will work with my LMT CQB Defender registered lower? I find most of the 6.8 uppers to be in 16" (or longer) bbl length. LMT has one in the CQB line, I know, but it is pricey.

all your sig are belong to us

Posts: 8330 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
PWS would be my choice.

Posts: 15825 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
PWS would be my choice.

Do you have a link? I don't see a single upper (or complete rifle) in 6.8 SPC on their site.

all your sig are belong to us

Posts: 8330 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Wolf

Posts: 4960 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post