SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger 10/22 takedown back packer or Thompson center ctr22?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 10/22 takedown back packer or Thompson center ctr22? Login/Join 
posted
Which would you get and why? I’m not too worried about after market parts since the Thompson center uses all the ruger parts that really matter.

I just sold my regular 10/22 that I’ve had for 20 years and had a bull barrel and heavy laminated wood thumb hole stock and wanted something a little lighter and different. I like how both rifles have a threaded barrel and iron sights but I still want really good accuracy, what kind of groups can I expect from the back packer at 50-100 yards with good ammo?

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I was really looking to get a TCR22 until I read some reviews that were not favorable. Poor finish on the barrel leading to early surface rust, canted sights/barrel, proprietary last round hold open to their magazines. The stock is probably pretty nice, but it has every other Magpul feature stripped away other than 2 Mlok sections on the bottom.

I think they went too cheap on it to try and compete directly with the 10/22, instead of keeping a bit of a premium. If it's exactly what you're looking for it's still a great option, but I think the backpacker is going to be the more versatile, more enjoyable, more configurable one of the two.

This is the review that made me pass on the TCR22.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com...ompson-center-tcr22/

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a Thompson so I can't speak to them, but I own a number of Rugers and I wouldn't think twice about picking up a takedown 10/22. If nothing else, Ruger supports their products pretty solidly and if anything goes wrong with it, they'll take care of you. Not that I hear of many people having problems with their 10/22's. It's also been on the market so long, I would consider it a known quantity kind of thing by now.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Takedown 10/22 and a Takedown Charger. Not as precise as my rimfire CZs but perfect for what I wanted - collapsible semi rimfires for backpacking trips. The Charger is especially compact with a folding brace, MRDS, and suppressor.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m looking for at least a fist size group at 100 yards with premium ammo, my old ruger kept it at 2 or 3 moa with cci ammo

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have a Thompson CR22. It has been great! Nicely built and finished. Mags have last round bolt hold open the accuracy has been for an open sight rifle.
I need to order a rimfire scope. For the cheaper gun i am happy with its performance so far.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m very torn between the two. Just concerned about accuracy with the takedown but I’m sure I’m just over thinking things

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Can't speak about the Thompson, but I just built a 10/22 TD Backpacker. I haven't shot any more than 35 yards or so, but I am really liking it so far.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, I just picked up the back packer and I’m glad I did. I already ordered the magpul sight mount for the barrel and auto bolt release/ nylon buffer pin. What kind of sling/sling mounts are you running ?

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Key to Ruger 10/22 Takedown accuracy is ensuring the lock up ring is (to tighten down the barrel) is really, really snug.

It should take a tad bit of effort to unlock and take the rifle apart.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Nice, I just picked up the back packer and I’m glad I did. I already ordered the magpul sight mount for the barrel and auto bolt release/ nylon buffer pin. What kind of sling/sling mounts are you running ?

Eagle Rock Gear 550 Paracord 2 Point Gun Sling

Magpul QD Swivels

GrovTec GTHM289 HD Push Button Bases

I used this tap to thread the holes for the bases:
Vermont American 9/16-Inch 18 Tap

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger 10/22 without a doubt. Not only for the versatility of the aftermarket support for it, but I have a 10/22 for over 10 years and it has been flawless and eats anything you put in the magazine. It's accurate, balances well, and is a nice gun. Rugers support is also solid.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend the 10/22 takedown.

Love mine. My setup is just about like that of xantom, but with a different mount of the optic. Also I added a can.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Can't speak about the Thompson, but I just built a 10/22 TD Backpacker. I haven't shot any more than 35 yards or so, but I am really liking it so far.

what kind of optics mount is that? that looks neat

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
what kind of optics mount is that? that looks neat

Magpul X-22 Backpacker Optic Mount Black

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The Thompson is set up exactly how I wanted a 10/22, so I went ahead and bought one. I’m not a fan of the stock lacking side sling mounts. Not sure how I’m going to address that yet.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
@xantom: thanks!