SIGforum
Ruger 10/22 takedown back packer or Thompson center ctr22?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/5000064664

February 10, 2020, 09:16 AM
limblessbiff
Ruger 10/22 takedown back packer or Thompson center ctr22?
Which would you get and why? I’m not too worried about after market parts since the Thompson center uses all the ruger parts that really matter.

I just sold my regular 10/22 that I’ve had for 20 years and had a bull barrel and heavy laminated wood thumb hole stock and wanted something a little lighter and different. I like how both rifles have a threaded barrel and iron sights but I still want really good accuracy, what kind of groups can I expect from the back packer at 50-100 yards with good ammo?
February 10, 2020, 10:27 AM
Rustpot
I was really looking to get a TCR22 until I read some reviews that were not favorable. Poor finish on the barrel leading to early surface rust, canted sights/barrel, proprietary last round hold open to their magazines. The stock is probably pretty nice, but it has every other Magpul feature stripped away other than 2 Mlok sections on the bottom.

I think they went too cheap on it to try and compete directly with the 10/22, instead of keeping a bit of a premium. If it's exactly what you're looking for it's still a great option, but I think the backpacker is going to be the more versatile, more enjoyable, more configurable one of the two.

This is the review that made me pass on the TCR22.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com...ompson-center-tcr22/
February 10, 2020, 11:20 AM
P220 Smudge
I've never owned a Thompson so I can't speak to them, but I own a number of Rugers and I wouldn't think twice about picking up a takedown 10/22. If nothing else, Ruger supports their products pretty solidly and if anything goes wrong with it, they'll take care of you. Not that I hear of many people having problems with their 10/22's. It's also been on the market so long, I would consider it a known quantity kind of thing by now.

February 10, 2020, 11:49 AM
kilyung
I have two Takedown 10/22 and a Takedown Charger. Not as precise as my rimfire CZs but perfect for what I wanted - collapsible semi rimfires for backpacking trips. The Charger is especially compact with a folding brace, MRDS, and suppressor.
February 10, 2020, 11:54 AM
limblessbiff
I’m looking for at least a fist size group at 100 yards with premium ammo, my old ruger kept it at 2 or 3 moa with cci ammo
February 10, 2020, 08:42 PM
gw3971
I have a Thompson CR22. It has been great! Nicely built and finished. Mags have last round bolt hold open the accuracy has been for an open sight rifle.
I need to order a rimfire scope. For the cheaper gun i am happy with its performance so far.
February 10, 2020, 10:14 PM
limblessbiff
I’m very torn between the two. Just concerned about accuracy with the takedown but I’m sure I’m just over thinking things
February 13, 2020, 06:08 PM
xantom
Can't speak about the Thompson, but I just built a 10/22 TD Backpacker. I haven't shot any more than 35 yards or so, but I am really liking it so far.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."
February 13, 2020, 09:06 PM
limblessbiff
Nice, I just picked up the back packer and I’m glad I did. I already ordered the magpul sight mount for the barrel and auto bolt release/ nylon buffer pin. What kind of sling/sling mounts are you running ?
February 13, 2020, 09:24 PM
RHINOWSO
Key to Ruger 10/22 Takedown accuracy is ensuring the lock up ring is (to tighten down the barrel) is really, really snug.

It should take a tad bit of effort to unlock and take the rifle apart.
February 14, 2020, 06:06 AM
xantom
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Nice, I just picked up the back packer and I’m glad I did. I already ordered the magpul sight mount for the barrel and auto bolt release/ nylon buffer pin. What kind of sling/sling mounts are you running ?

Eagle Rock Gear 550 Paracord 2 Point Gun Sling

Magpul QD Swivels

GrovTec GTHM289 HD Push Button Bases

I used this tap to thread the holes for the bases:
Vermont American 9/16-Inch 18 Tap

February 14, 2020, 08:53 AM
jimmy123x
Ruger 10/22 without a doubt. Not only for the versatility of the aftermarket support for it, but I have a 10/22 for over 10 years and it has been flawless and eats anything you put in the magazine. It's accurate, balances well, and is a nice gun. Rugers support is also solid.
February 15, 2020, 06:30 AM
Kampfhamster
Highly recommend the 10/22 takedown.

Love mine. My setup is just about like that of xantom, but with a different mount of the optic. Also I added a can.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.
February 15, 2020, 06:31 AM
Kampfhamster
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Can't speak about the Thompson, but I just built a 10/22 TD Backpacker. I haven't shot any more than 35 yards or so, but I am really liking it so far.

what kind of optics mount is that? that looks neat

February 15, 2020, 10:27 AM
xantom
quote:
what kind of optics mount is that? that looks neat

Magpul X-22 Backpacker Optic Mount Black

February 15, 2020, 11:34 AM
Voshterkoff
The Thompson is set up exactly how I wanted a 10/22, so I went ahead and bought one. I’m not a fan of the stock lacking side sling mounts. Not sure how I’m going to address that yet.
February 15, 2020, 01:02 PM
Kampfhamster
@xantom: thanks!