SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Received a family heirloom rifle today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Received a family heirloom rifle today Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
We don’t have much family left on my dads side.
I have 2 brothers and 1 cousin, and I’m the only one with kids.

My older cousin in retiring to the beach so he wanted to give me some of our grandparents things ( they raised him most of his life).

We loaded up grandmas old rolltop desk, and some pictures etc. He went back into the house and came out with a 22 rifle right before we left.
It’s a 1952 vintage Winchester 74.

It belonged to my great uncle Jack, who died young, before I was born.

Jack was the 14th of 14 kids, born at the height of the depression. My great-grandparents we’re struggling pretty bad, and an older childless widow woman who owned a 500 acre farm down the road offered to adopt him to help out.

As I was going through some of the old pictures, I found a picture of Jack holding this very rifle it appears. His older sister Alice, still living, is in another pic taken probably the same day.

The rolltop desk came from the widow woman, Mrs Mullen’s farm.
We tracked the maker down and it dates from 1870-1900.

Mrs Mullen’s left Jack the entire farm when she passed, my grandparents house, and my cousins current home, sit on part of that original farm.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome. Great photos as well. It was very nice of your cousin.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
That is all kinds of cool.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Priceless, especially with the photos.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Priceless - I have a Winchester 77 from an Uncle born in the 30's, it's great to have.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is incredibly cool. I have a Springfield 1903 that was sporterized some time in the 1950s that belonged to my grandpa, it was his deer rifle for the Michigan woods. I also have similar old pictures with the rifle in it.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool gun with great history!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
That is beyond awesome. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 15842 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Damn, that’s pretty awesome. Glad it went to someone who will appreciate it for what it is.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
That is such a great history and such a special rifle.

Thanks for sharing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
thanks for sharing!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story. Thanks for sharing it.

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
That rifle looks to be in great condition. Great story. Is the farm still in your family too?

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangemaster:
That rifle looks to be in great condition. Great story. Is the farm still in your family too?

It’s all been developed now, probably 100 or more homes on what was the original farm.

My cousins house sits at the highest point and looks over most of it.

The original farm house, long gone, was in the bottom below.

--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle. Any pictures of the desk?

Posts: 210 | Location: TN | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle and I really enjoyed the story.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Beyond cool!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool history.

Has the rifle been restored or is it in original condition? Sure is in great shape!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Cool history.

Has the rifle been restored or is it in original condition? Sure is in great shape!

Looks all original to me, wood and blueing show just a little wear. Pretty amazing for a 65 year old rifle.

--Riff Raff--

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Cool history.

Looks all original to me, wood and blueing show just a little wear. Pretty amazing for a 65 year old rifle.

That is great to read.

I love old .22’s.

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post