SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question for CZ Trainer Owners (CZ 455)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for CZ Trainer Owners (CZ 455) Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
Is it normal for CZ (or other manufacturers) to install different Serial Numbered RECEIVER, from the BARREL?

I am looking at an advertised (NOS) CZ 455, which I believe to be true. Just wondering why the Serial Numbers will be different (Receiver vs. Barrel).

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Trainer but the CZ455 American Combo which came with 2 barrels (17HMR / 22LR). All of the Serial Numbers match, with the 17HMR barrel having an "A" at the end of the SN. The 22LR came installed and is a match. I also had a CZ455 American synthetic / threaded and it's receiver and barrel matched as well.

So odds are it should have matching SNs. All the ones I look at on Gunbroker with hi res photos match as well. My guess is someone bought a trainer barrel and swapped it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Thanks RHINO. I am looking at a NOS CZ 455 with a threaded barrel. The hi-res photo showed the receiver, bolt and even the shipping box to have the SAME serial numbers. The barrel however have a different serial number. Everything looked brand new. I was just wondering why the barrel have a different serial number.

CZ came out with the new 457 Trainer. I just like the older 455 model.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I have 6 CZ 455s, including a trainer, all the serials match.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
A little off topic, but I’d take a look at the 457. They shortened the throw of the bolt and it helps with knocking your knuckles of a scope. Also, the safety is backwards from a Remington 700 and always drove me nuts on the 455. The 457 is different and is no longer “backwards.”

Otherwise basically the same great rifle.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I'd go 457 if starting from scratch. I bought my son a 457 and prefer it over the 455. Not enough to replace my 455s though.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I will start looking into the 457 then. I just don’t like how they finished the stock. It looked like there are “strands” of nylon that were bonded or glued together. On the 455, the stock finished looked like the traditional Manners Stock paint, which I prefer.

I didn’t know about the reversed safety feature on the 455. Good ti know.

Question on the barrel length. The 457 comes in 24 and 16.5 inches. I feel that 24 is too long to suppress. And the 16.5 is too short to suppress. Looking at 20.5 inch barrel.

What is the “ideal” barrel length for a suppressed 22 LR?

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’ve never tested this myself, but I’ve read numerous times that anything over 16” in .22lr is wasted. You reach max velocity at 16”...or so then internet told me.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Velocity gains really drop off past 8-10" from data I've seen, depending on the 22LR load.

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
Question on the barrel length. The 457 comes in 24 and 16.5 inches. I feel that 24 is too long to suppress. And the 16.5 is too short to suppress. Looking at 20.5 inch barrel.

What is the “ideal” barrel length for a suppressed 22 LR?

I have a 455 Scout (16.5" threaded barrel). It's delightful with a suppressor. Absolutely the only reasons I can think of to go longer are balance in a heavy target rifle or sight radius.

In what way did you think it would be too short to suppress?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I have no clue about velocity, etc. when it comes to 22LR rifles. I based that assumption on looks only. I looked at the 457 Trainer with 16.5 inch barrel and I just find it too short or unbalanced, in relation to the length of the stock. The 24 inch looked too long. Im glad that I posted my question here as I am getting educated on barrel length.

quote:
In what way did you think it would be too short to suppress?

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Ah, gotcha. Yes. A 16.5" barrel is enough shorter than usual to look very short.

Just something to think about - if the goal is primarily suppressed use, most .22 suppressors add 4-6" to the end of the barrel.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post