SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mo' bigger caliber for F-Openers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mo' bigger caliber for F-Openers Login/Join 
posted
This past Sunday we had the annual 1000 yard rifle match and ice sculpting competition. I was out there with my trusty F-TR rifle pumping out my 210gr .308 bullets at 2650FPS. I did really well on the first match, setting a new personal best.

We had a few F-Open shooters and one of them walked over to me after seeing my score down in the book and he mentioned that we was shooting a fairly new rifle in F-Open; a .300WSM with 215gr Bergers. Before you ask, yes, he points his Bergers. He gets 300FPS more with his load. We compared the cartridges and the .308 Win is anemic compared to that .300WSM. He's a member of the USA national team, but I don't think they are moving from their 7mm this year, not just a few months before the Worlds. They still have to contend with the BC restrictions at Connaught.

I figured they would get to the heavy 30s at some point.

Posts: 2458 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certainly see the ballistic advantage to a 300wsm/215 or 230 Hybrid over the common 284/180 Hybrid. I'm not ashamed to say I shoot lower recoiling cartridges better, believe that's true for all of us. At roughly a 50% increase in recoil, can't help but wonder if or how long it would take to learn how to drive a 300WSM over a 284? And if at first scores would go up?

Posts: 2272 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are very astute observations. However, one must remember that an H-Open rifle can go up to 22 pounds including the scope. Those pounds really soak up the recoil.

When I switched from the 185 to the 210s in my F-TR rifle, I could tell the difference but the rifle is just a shade under 18 pounds with the scope and the bipod. I would hate to shoot 66 rounds prone with that load in a 10 pound rifle.

In think we're approaching the top end of BC with bullets that can be fired without brakes from the shoulder and still make weight.

Posts: 2458 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new personal best !

While I love my .284 my .300 Norma is a different animal. Slinging the big .30's at that speed is very interesting.

Ready to start pointing the Berger's but looking forward to trying the JLK's. Hope he gets his jackets in soon.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2466 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
Congrats on the new personal best !

While I love my .284 my .300 Norma is a different animal. Slinging the big .30's at that speed is very interesting.

Ready to start pointing the Berger's but looking forward to trying the JLK's. Hope he gets his jackets in soon.

Thanks, the conditions for the first match were just awesome, very little wind and the pointed bullets just held a great vertical. 12X-ring shots out of 20 total were testament to the benefit of pointing. That's holding 5 inches at 1000 yards. My first 10 rounds had 7 eXes in them. My solitary 9 was out the left about 2 inches from the 10-ring at 10 o'clock. It came on shot 14 I think. I relaxed after that (the next shot was an X) and finished off without dropping another one.

The sun came out while I was in the pits and when I returned to the line, the frost on the ground was gone and the mirage was out with a vengeance. I don't remember seeing it this bad, ever. The wind had started and it got real bad, real quick. My next two strings were horrid. We had a lot of people fall off the targets due to wind and mirage. I didn't happen to me, but it might just as well have. Yuck, from sublime to the pits in the same day. That's competition for you; you shoot what you got. Of course after I finished my last match, the conditions relaxed and the mirage lessened considerably. Oh well.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
This is what I wished I had been able to compete in. I used to have a thing with long distance, but after I quit doing it at work, my interest dropped off.

Plus, its hard to find IDPA and USPSA matches within a couple of hours. Finding one of these is probably much tougher.

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011

"There are only two reasons why a proven technique doesn't work under stress: the shooter isn't adequately trained in it's application, or he/she doesn't really believe it will work because he/she is programmed for failure to begin with." BG

Posts: 29736 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not having any idea where you are located, I can't even begin to suggest anything. But there are F-class matches all over the country, even Kalifornia.