SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Precision Rifle Shooter Advice Requested on Proper Recoil Management
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Precision Rifle Shooter Advice Requested on Proper Recoil Management Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Once again, I appreciate the complex and thoughtful responses.

Thank you.

This is a fun thread.

I learned a few new things reading fritz's most recent response. "Weight" on a bipod. When I use non-F-TR bipod, I use a technique that we call "loading" in F-class circles. We load the bipod by pushing forward on the rifle or pulling the back on the rifle.

When I first started in F-Class, I used a Harris bipod that I soon discarded in favor of a Verso-Pod. The problem was the bipod hop that was plaguing the Harris. My theory is that the pedestal-style bipods, the ones where the legs are mounted directly below the rifle, are just more conducive to the hop. Further, if one leg is resting on something harder than what the other leg is standing on, you get a twist on the rifle as a bonus. The Versa Pod is of a cantilevered design and as such, both legs act on the same point, not off center on the rifle. I actually prefer the cradle types where the legs are simply not below the rifle, they come up on either side of the rifle.

In 2006, Sinclair released their first F-TR bipod but it as a big complicated affair. A year or two later, they released their second model and that's the one I bought, replacing the Versa-Pod. Of course, it took me a few matches to get rid of "loading" the bipod, these F-TR bipods are meant to be left alone and let them do their job. That bipod was a little heavy for the F-TR limitations, and when I designed my next match rifle, I bought the 3rd generation Sinclair bipod. It weighed less than the Gen2, but it also twisted more, especially under the recoil of a heavy .308 rifle. I learned to live with it, but it just was not the Gen2.

Then my friend Seb sent me a Joy pod to test and even though it is a pedestal-type design, the legs are splayed out so wide than there is not upward kick off-center. And the joystick is a lot of fun and very handy to use. There is a trick to it, but once you have it, it's great.

I sold my Gen2 Sinclair, and I know it has a good home. I use my Gen3 as backup for my Joy pod. And then last month Seb sent me a new version of his Joy pod and I sold my earlier Joy pod to a new F-TR competitor.

The F-TR bipods are also called "ski types" because they are designed to slide, but some are designed to be loaded like regular bipods, so there is variety there. I have a board with a surface that lends itself well to these ski types. As for my rear rest, it weighs over 20 pounds. I would not want to carry it around further than from the cart to the firing point. It's loaded with heavy sand, which is about twice as dense as normal play sand.

When I compete with my AR-10, I use the VLTOR ModPod that is mounted on the sides of my Armalite. The bipod is light, is legal for this discipline and does not produce the bipod hop of a regular bipod. It does create twist, but that's easily controlled on an AR-10 with a larger pistol grip. I do load that bipod when I shoot the rifle, and the manual of arms is different enough to help me not confuse shooting it versus shooting my F-TR rifle. I even use a small squishy bag as a rear rest, not my mammoth rear bag.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
This turning into a very good thread. Lots of good stuff to digest.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
By the way, I pull the buttstock back into my clavicle with my middle, ring, and pinkie fingers of my right hand. It has taken some time to learn how to do this and not affect the quality of my index finger's trigger pull.

This where fritz and I differ. I do not pull the buttstock into my shoulder. For me that has a negative effect with consistent elevation. Instead of just having tension in my hand from squeezing my rear bag, tension on my elbow, shoulder.....

I occasionally shoot PRS matches or PMS matches as a few friends call them. PRS matches are all about building position quickly, shooting in very awkward positions usually multiple targets, multiple positions in very tight times. Because of this I don't do the traditional deep breathing cycle. No way I'll be lined up on the target at the bottom of the breathing cycle or is there time. For the last several years regardless of position my breathing is short, shallow cycles.... never holding my breath. Even shooting fast I take the time to hold onto the trigger, follow through, until I see the impact.

I strongly believe there is no better training then shooting a quality 22LR or quality PCP air rifle. The dwell time of the bullet/pellet in the barrel..... fundamentals better be there to shoot consistently.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
PRS matches are all about building position quickly, shooting in very awkward positions usually multiple targets, multiple positions in very tight times. Because of this I don't do the traditional deep breathing cycle. No way I'll be lined up on the target at the bottom of the breathing cycle or is there time. For the last several years regardless of position my breathing is short, shallow cycles.... never holding my breath. Even shooting fast I take the time to hold onto the trigger, follow through, until I see the impact.

This is really an important point for shooting from barriers with time constraints.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post