SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New to AR platform - sling recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to AR platform - sling recommendations Login/Join 
posted
I just jumped into the AR arena with a PSA complete upper and lower build kit along with a stripped lower. Recommendations for a sling that wont break the bank?

Posts: 168 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Blue Force Gear VCAS

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I would start with "What do I want my sling to do?"

There are very specialized "slings" for long-range shooting and high-power competitions like the Ching-sling.

However, most folks are just looking for a way to keep their rifles from falling in the dirt when they go hands-free.

If you're in this second category you have 2.5 choices: 1 point, 2 point, and 3 point slings.

3 point slings have fallen out of favor in the last few years (due to the emphasis on ambidextrous shooting in CQB type situations). The 3 pt slings are very secure, but do not lend themselves well to weak-side shooting.

The contemporary trend seems to be moving back toward 2 point slings (like the Blueforce VCAS) and away from the 1 point slings, but both have their advantages and disadvantages.

You can also get a hybrid sling like the Magpul MS4 series which can be either depending on where you attach it to the gun. A sling like the MS4 might be your best option until you know your style well enough to commit to one camp or the other.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I'll second the VCAS.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a 2-pt is the way i would go - this is mostly a keep it outta the dirt situation. I'll look at the VCAS and Magpul... thanks

Posts: 168 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I was happy with this, bought 2, one for each AR.
Bravo Company Viking Tactics Wide Padded Sling

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I like the Magpul MS3. It can be used as a single or dual mount and comes with the clips.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
VTAC or VCAS

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was a copper I carried an AR Carbine and a handgun...whilst playing all that cops and robbers stuff I found that single point slings are really great at having that one in a million chance of running out of rifle ammo and having to transition to the handgun....

I also found that when climbing a fence a single point rifle will allow your rifle (large clublike item) to smack you in the giblets and render you incapacitated for around ten minutes or so...

I went back to the standard olive drab military two point sling like Uncle Sam meant to be on the rifle shortly thereafter.

(I shoulda stuck with that sling from the get-go, but I wanted to be really tati-cool...)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also found that when climbing a fence a single point rifle will allow your rifle (large clublike item) to smack you in the giblets and render you incapacitated for around ten minutes or so...

This. If you plan to ever move while having the rifle hang from sling. Get a 2 point. Tried a 1 point once and my junk hated me. Nothing quite like aluminum and steel banging against your crotch.

I like my Savy Sniper 2 point with QD cups. It's super quick to get in and out.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's not just about getting hit in the junk too.

With a 1 point sling, unless you're standing perfectly still, you basically have to keep a hand on the rifle at all times to control it. Otherwise it just dangles and flops around, smacks into things, gets tangled up in things, and yes... hits you in the junk. You don't have the ability to cinch it down securely against your body and let go with both hands to perform any number of tasks that require two hands.

The 1 point sling's only real benefit is that it allows for fast weak side shoulder transitions. But that comes at the cost of a number of significant drawbacks. And the modern adjustable 2 point slings like the VCAS and VTAC are nearly as fast when transitioning shoulders, without the 1 point sling's drawbacks.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just call me old fashioned. I just use the standard M1, WWII rifle slings on all my ARs. I have installed the single point attach rings where the buffer tube enters the receiver, but have only done that just so I will have it in the future if I should ever want it.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
you said not break the bank, I am hard of hearing.

advanced gunslinger HIT

These are expensive and take some setup time but I like how tightly they secure the gun in two point and how quickly and efficiently they go to single point. The MS3 is good until you need to be in single point after being in two point under duress, then they get interesting. The are replacing my MS3's.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
SOB sling or vcas.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation and high praises for Blue Force Gear Vickers two point sling.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Just ordered the Vickers 2 point.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The Savy sniper is the absolute best two point money can buy.

The Vickers and blue force gear are a close second.

None of these slings work great with the standard sling loops on an ar15.

For standard sling loops, look at a basic strap sling, like the brand new one just released by Magpul for $16.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Padded BFG Vickers.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Padded BFG Vickers.
This.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yep, padded VCAS or VTAC sling. Super comfortable, does what it needs to do. I have a VTAC on my rifle, but I think the VCAS is probably a better design.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post