SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    308 Dewey cleaning rod
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 Dewey cleaning rod Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted
Is too big for a 6.5 Credmoor barrel. I learned this the hard way at the range this morning. Sigh. Time to go buy a new rod.

I hate making boneheaded mistakes.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
That's why I'm happy I went with a .22 Dewey rod all those years ago. Works for just about everything.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.proshotproducts.com...aning-Rods_c_80.html

Very happy with these.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought both Dewey .22 AND .30 style rods. My .22 rod is shorter, and I've found the extra stiffness of a 30 caliber rod is useful in cleaning Garands, Mausers, and the like.One size does not fit all IMHO. I believe all Dewey rods will accept any conventional size jag, brush, etc. which is in the 8/32 sized thread. Proshot types might be a little cheaper but I think they need a adapter to use readily available attachments.Dewey coated rods also require a adapter which I consider to be another weak link

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blasto:
Dewey coated rods also require a adapter which I consider to be another weak link

Dewey should have changed over to the more common attachment system for their coated rods long ago. The adapter just introduces the same hazard as using a multisegment rod like the GI type: if the segments don’t line up perfectly (and I’ve never seen any that do), it’s necessary to be careful that the offset bump doesn’t hit the rifling at the muzzle crown when drawing the rod back into the barrel. At least they could have offered coated rods with both types of threads.

And then when the coating of one of my Dewey rods started flaking off, I learned that one of my favorite cleaners, TM Solvent, would damage the coating. I just stopped using the coated Dewey rods I had and switched to Hornady and Tipton carbon fiber rods. I was a little leery about how they would hold up, but decided to chance it, and thus far after a year or so they are in like new condition.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
http://www.proshotproducts.com...aning-Rods_c_80.html

Very happy with these.

I much prefer a quality polished rod over the coated rods.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post