SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    H E L P Needed , drop in quar rail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H E L P Needed , drop in quar rail Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
I have a 14.5” pinned & welded upper that has a triangle handguard cup.
I’m wanting to put a drop in quad rail (or M-Lok / Keymod) handguard onto this rifle.
Does anyone know off hand if there is anything available for this set up?
It’s carbine length BTW.

I ordered this handguard without checking and had to alter it to fit.
While it had been solid for over two years, it’s this rifles turn to be accessorized.
A Vltor Emod is in route and I’d like to get a railed option for the handguard that doesn’t require un-pinning the comp.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I really like the Troy Delta drop-in rail. It not only allows you to attach accessories, but also extends the length of the handguard by about 50%. This allows you to get your support hand further out than a standard carbine handguard. More like a 13" free-float handguard.

Install is simple. It clamps directly to the standard AR barrel nut, and doesn't require the delta ring, muzzle device, or FSB to be removed. The only thing you have to remove is the front sling swivel, which is a 2 second job using punch to drive out a pin.

I think they're the best option for a drop-in handguard for a carbine with a fixed front sight base.

The only thing is, it isn't Keymod or MLOK. It comes in versions with either Troy's circular mounts, or VTAC slots. There are accessory mounts available for either, but they're obviously not as common as Keymod/MLOK. (Some folks reports that certain MOE/MLOK accessories will work with VTAC slots, but there's no guarantee.)

However, it has a rail on top, a short rail on bottom for a VFG/AFG, and sling swivels built in to the sides. So there aren't many other accessory mounts that would be needed.

https://troyind.com/rail-syste...ies/rails/drop/delta
(The prices on Troy's website are MSRP... You can find them cheaper online.)

Here's a VTAC version on my 14.5" carbine:

This is the standard Troy version:

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like that Troy fail is only for carbine length and not mid length though. I've been looking for rail for my middy with a front right post also.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
Looks like that Troy fail is only for carbine length and not mid length though. I've been looking for rail for my middy with a front right post also.

You're in luck!

It's discontinued, but Troy did offer a mid-length Delta rail up until last year. It was called the Troy Delta MX. (The standard carbine version is the Delta CX.)

SRAI-DLT-MXBT-00

There may be some MXs left out there, especially on the secondary market.

(For example, here's a used MX for sale on Reddit for $140: https://www.reddit.com/r/GunAc...pe_dropin_rail_misc/ )

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The Daniel Defense Omega Rail is one of, if not the, original free-floating drop-in quad rails and comes in carbine and midlength versions.

https://danieldefense.com/rail...tems/omega-rail.html

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:

You're in luck!

It's discontinued, but Troy did offer a mid-length Delta rail up until last year. It was called the Troy Delta MX. (The standard carbine version is the Delta CX.)

SRAI-DLT-MXBT-00

There may be some MXs left out there, especially on the secondary market.

(For example, here's a used MX for sale on Reddit for $140: https://www.reddit.com/r/GunAc...pe_dropin_rail_misc/ )

Thanks for the info, guess I will be looking for one of those today.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Bbbbutt....he wanted an M-Lock or KeyMod.
None of the suggested are those.

I thought of the ARMs Sir rails.
But that’s not Mlock or keymod.
They are drop in tho!

I can only ad a quick trip to Adco would solve it all.
With the low prices of good non-clone rails these days it maybe worth the pro
time to have it set up.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah I think the era of the drop in rail is nearing its end as more people want free-float rails.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Cutting your front sight base down into a low-pro gas block and adding a folding front sight to the top of your new handguard would open up a BUNCH more options.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post