SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The woes of (sort of) long range shooting in the mountains. (Photos)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The woes of (sort of) long range shooting in the mountains. (Photos) Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
There's still snow on the ground! Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The woes of seeing all sorts of stuff you CAN'T hit because it's too far away!

Sweet terrain!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is the spotting scope so far from the rifle? It should be right next to you so you can read the conditions with it.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
Why is the spotting scope so far from the rifle? It should be right next to you so you can read the conditions with it.

That was just during the setup. And my spotter hadn't arrived yet. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Beautiful day. How was the shooting?

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cardio, man. Cardio.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like it was a massive day.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The shooting was good as well. The course is not particularly difficult as compared with the ones I read about here, but involves shooting from different positions at various distances and sometimes the results have been less than satisfactory with this rifle. Several little things seemed to all come together this time to make a perfect run seem almost easy.

I’ve had the Tikka (308) for several years, but just married it with a KRG chassis, and precision seems to be better than with the original polymer stock. Leupold replaced the windage and elevation mechanism of the scope after my complaint that the adjustments were mushy. I had also spent time confirming zero and trajectory data, but perhaps the most important factor was remembering and applying changes in my technique that I had learned from members here and elsewhere. Even my wind calls in 9-12 mph breezes were accurate.

Beautiful location + good shooting = happy day. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Oh, boo! Wink

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

That was just during the setup. And my spotter hadn't arrived yet. Smile

Wink

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I see what you did there!

Posts: 374 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:

Cardio, man. Cardio.

That's too funny.

I would be exhausted getting up and down for every shot. Especially at 10,150 feet ASL. I would probably be passed out after the second shot.

Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's still snow on the ground! Wink

looks familiar,where is that?

Posts: 2301 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Let me tell ya, I feel really bad for you!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it makes me gasp for air , just looking at it.

tried to live in Dever /littleton for 18 months,
never had a single day that i felt great.

I am one serious flat lander

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
looks familiar, where is that?

quote:

Mount Massive, south of Leadville. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
The woes of long range shooting in the mountains....I was expecting something about the wind!

Private or public land?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
The woes of long range shooting in the mountains....I was expecting something about the wind!

Private or public land?

Yeah, I think it's so high up the wind has no effect on the bullet, which if flying at muzzle velocity all the way to the target.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Private or public land?

Sorry I missed that question earlier:
County property.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
looks familiar, where is that?

quote:

Mount Massive, south of Leadville. Smile
Smile

Posts: 2301 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post