SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    COLT CR6920
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COLT CR6920 Login/Join 
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted
What is a CR6920? I'm hearing rumors that they aren't make by Colt but are licensed under them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Oof Frown

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just skip to 38:30

it's all just parts nowadays...

buyer beware

I'm a personal fan of the Windham story

-----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be missing something, but a quick look at Colt’s website, it appears that all the M4 series bear the “LE6920” nomenclature. Are the actual guns still bearing the actual CR marking and the parts as described in the video? Slightly off topic what other ARs get close to or comply with true Mil-Spec/technical data package configuration?

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not super up to date on the latest ...

but possibly here:

https://www.tactical-life.com/...ector-m16-m4-rifles/

subject to availability of course

when I was AD Army in the early 90s my issued AR in the 25th Infantry Division was an FN fwiw. everyone thinks Colt when they think 'military issue' but the fact is FN has been supplying the US military with ARs and machine guns for decades.

---------------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
just skip to 38:30

it's all just parts nowadays...

buyer beware

I'm a personal fan of the Windham story

-----------------------------------------------

So, skipping to 38:30, all you get is that it’s different, but probably OK and of decent quality. Not really helpful, unless you slog through the entire video.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
Slightly off topic what other ARs get close to or comply with true Mil-Spec/technical data package configuration?

FN. They're considerably expensive given what they are and the market (pre-covid), they don't pop up for sale too often, but they are the current contract mil-spec rifle and that model is available at retail similar to the LE6920.

The cheaper guns like S&W M&P, Ruger AR556, etc that look very similar are made to fit a lower price point and do not have a third party mandating quality checks like a "true" mil-spec/TDP gun.

That said, there are many fine rifles being made that do no conform to the mil-spec/TDP and are better for it. Tighter thread class, better features, stocks and grips you'd actually use, free float rails, etc.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
There’s got to be a better comparison than that video. I lost interest about 5 times trying to watch it.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
That said, there are many fine rifles being made that do no conform to the mil-spec/TDP and are better for it. Tighter thread class, better features, stocks and grips you'd actually use, free float rails, etc.

Bingo.
Mil-spec is the floor level that is required for a government-issued AR. It's a good requirement system, and helps to produce a quality AR. But mil-spec isn't the pinnacle of rifle quality, function, or accuracy.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
There’s got to be a better comparison than that video. I lost interest about 5 times trying to watch it.
If you find someone other than Chris Bartocci on youtube who knows more about AR-15 production by Colt, you let us know.

In the video I posted, Bartocci methodically goes through the rifle and details the changes Colt has made. If you have a problem with his deivery, turn off the sound and turn on closed captioning. Either way, you're not going to find more detailed information on the subject at hand.

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I miss my earlyish 6920LE,
I did acquire a Aero/Anderson clone that seems solid. But do miss the Colt of yesteryear.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
I still have 7 Colt ARs but none of this CR stuff..all earlier, all Colt and ive never had one issue

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you find someone other than Chris Bartocci on youtube who knows more about AR-15 production by Colt, you let us know.

If you do, they probably work for Colt. Dude knows his stuff. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

In the video I posted, Bartocci methodically goes through the rifle and details the changes Colt has made. If you have a problem with his deivery, turn off the sound and turn on closed captioning. Either way, you're not going to find more detailed information on the subject at hand.

You are spot on as usual Para. I personally know Chris, having had him examine firearms for me as a firearms and tool mark examiner in my capacity as a LEO. That was about when he wrote “Black Rifle 2,” as I recall. Simply put, I don’t know that there is anyone with a more thorough knowledge of modern Colt firearms. Some may equal him, but I’m not aware of anyone with more knowledge. I’ll concede that his presentations are not flashy and lack the production quality of some others out there on YouTube, but his knowledge is as good as it gets.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I'm a bit confused (no surprise); what about post-2011 carbines with serial numbers starting with the 'LE' prefix? Those were marketed to the commercial market as LE6920s, not CR6920s. Are those also a hodgepodge of Colt and outsourced parts?

FWIW, at the shop we only started to see the CR6920-marked rifles in the past nine months or so, once Colt decided it was financially advantageous for them to jump back into the commercial AR market fray after they tucked tail a couple of years ago. Those CRs also came with a spike in price as well; about $300 over what we last sold the last LE6920s for. The bump for doing business during Rona, I suppose.

Rewinding back to that time before Colt so publicly announced that they were leaving the commercial marketplace, we were having a tough time moving their LE6920s since free float M-Lok AR configurations had become all the rage, and oftentimes for less money. So were those LE6920s just a mashup of parts from a variety of sources? The video never definitively says yes. Mr. Bartocci instead continually cited the CR6920 model, which as I stated above we as a gun shop had never seen prior to this past nine months. But given his numerous referencing in the video of the FN takeover of the military contract in 2011 and his reasoning as to why Colt would start cutting corners to save on costs once their exclusive contract went away, it does seem like post-2011 LE 6920s are very much suspect in terms of their Colt-sourced parts originality.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I'm a bit confused (no surprise); what about post-2011 carbines with serial numbers starting with the 'LE' prefix? Those were marketed to the commercial market as LE6920s, not CR6920s. Are those also a hodgepodge of Colt and outsourced parts?

Very informative video.

FWIW my 2013 configuration(May 13 bag date, Rodgers stock)is all properly marked Colt. I broke it down watching the video.

I think it was a crapshoot for authentic parts after 2011 depending on parts availability.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the video it was really informative. I had no idea there were so many marking on a 6920.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted Hide Post
That is a great video for anyone considering a Colt CR purchase. The prices have increased two-fold over what I spent three years ago and the product is now made from COTS parts.

As Chris states, it probably is a good product and it probably would shoot well but, there are less expensive rifles that would give you the same thing. He was always a proponent of Colt because you knew that you were getting the same standards as GI-issue; nowadays not so much.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hadn't looked at Colts recently...Chris's video was very informative and thorough. He laid out solid reasons for why Colt has gotten away from the intensive QA they used to have on their rifles. I was issued a new Colt M4 in 2011 and trusted it completely. I have owned a Colt 6933 SBR for about 10 years, and it has run flawlessly for me. My older LE6920 is also a solid carbine. It's a shame to see the new CR6920s aren't built with the same materials and QA. Bravo Company is now my go-to source for AR components - I have several of their uppers that exhibit the same build quality as older Colts, and bought an AR pistol from them a couple years ago that was also built to a high standard. It's nice to know that if you properly maintain a carbine, you can count on it to be reliable. I completely trust my older Colts and newer BCMs. It sounds like the new CR6920s might be fine recreational shooters, but maybe not suitable for duty or defensive use.

Posts: 154 | Registered: December 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post