SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    One of us... One of us.... AR question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One of us... One of us.... AR question. Login/Join 
posted
After being AR less for years, I ran across a DPMS Oracle at a price I could not pass up. Since I plan to keep this a rather cheap project, I have thus far:
Bought many, many PMags.
Bought a Vortex StrikeFire II sight.
Bought a cheap single point sling and adapter.
Here's my question:
I plan to replace the DPMS furniture with MagPul stuff. I have the grip and stock figured out. But there are 2 MagPul MOE handguards listed on most sites.
Which one will replace the short M4 round handguards? There are 2 different lengths listed for this handguard. I am con-fus-ed.
Thanks in advance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
MOE Handguards are offered in three lengths: Carbine, Midlength, and Rifle. You want the Carbine length.

This is the standard MOE Carbine handguard:
https://www.magpul.com/product...rbine-length-ar15-m4

MOE Carbine handguard:

There's also the MOE-SL handguard, which sticks out a little further than the standard MOE handguard, covering the lower part of the front sight base. (This requires you to remove the sling swivel.) If you go with the SL version, you'd still use the Carbine length:
https://www.magpul.com/product...guard-carbine-length

MOE-SL Carbine Handguard:

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
^^^ Bingo.

You can order a handguard with a QD mount installed from Impact Weapons Components.

http://www.impactweaponscompon...o-flush-sling-mount/

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Guys!
Carbine length it is. I may go with the SL model, since it may do a better job of protecting my hand from a hot gas block.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
One thing to keep in mind...the Magpul MOE SL will not fit a triangle shaped end cap at the gas block...the standard MOE will fit either round or triangle cap...

I'm not sure which one the Oracle uses...just to be safe I'd take a look before ordering.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend the qd sling installed in the moe handguard from impact weapon components as with a cts stock since it has a qd hook up if you cboose to use a 2 point instead of the single point. Even my sbr's get 2 point slings cause of swinging around on a single point.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As always great information from Sig Forum. I just bought an inexpensive AR to throw in the safe ( brand new for under 400 delivered with great ratings, who wouldnt) and was trying to decide what type of handgaurd to buy myself. Is it difficult to find qd slings and parts to use the M-lok format?

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunnitt:
Is it difficult to find qd slings and parts to use the M-lok format?

No, it's very easy. M-Lok accessories are produced by a large number of companies.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you I appreciate the info, Im not an AR guy but hey couldnt pass on it.

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it a commercial receiver (buffer tube) or a MILSPEC one? Magpul makes stocks in both commercial or MILSPEC diameter.

Brownells Video explaining difference

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post