SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My new Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I've been reacquiring some guns I had when I was younger that I've come to regret selling. My very first firearm of my very own was an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight my dad bought for me when I was 14 or 15. It had a 26" vent rib barrel with a fixed Improved Cylinder choke. I guess in my mid 20s I sold it to buy something "cooler" which has also been sold off. It didn't take me long to regret parting with my Ithaca.

I've toyed with the idea of buying another Ithaca since them. Ithaca has changed hands a few times since those days. But the newest owners and the newest plant in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, are turning out the best Model 37s yet. I was so impressed with them, I bought two. And Ithaca was kind enough to give me guns with sequential serial numbers. One has a 26" vent rib barrel with with choke tubes, the other has a rifled Deerslayer barrel. They have Pachmayr recoil pads. Everything is steel, including the trigger guard.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Nice! I've got several but all older ones

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Wow, those do look nice! I have a few as well, including the very old 16 gauge I carried as a kid. Kicked like a mule without a pad, but I loved every shot!

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been kicking around the idea of buying a full tube magazine riot gun and one of their o/u models.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Here are two of mine...a full 8 shot mag "Home Defender" from the late 70's and a Featherlight from 1952 that Bubba tried to solder a bayo lug to and tapped the receiver for a scope. I cut and faced the barrel after getting a tax stamp for it.

Both slam-fire which makes for a totally new way of shooting for me (tried it for the first time a few weeks ago).

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the 37's, and after handling one of the new Featherlights I've been looking at the 20 gauge as my next bird gun.

Did you order directly from Ithaca? I was thinking about doing a wood upgrade and assume calling Ithaca directly would be the way to set that up.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I ordered these directly from Ithaca and had them shipped to my FFL. It was very fast shipping.

From talking to Ithaca, apparently they want to sell directly to the end owner. The guy I spoke to told me about some pricing abuses when they sold to distributors so they stopped doing it. I didn't quite understand their issues but they were dissatisfied with what distributors were charging for the guns.

If you go on Ithaca's website, you can order a wood upgrade. Mine has the lowest A grade they offer. You can order them up to AAA grade, but the price goes up substantially.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Those are beautiful looking guns. I'm glad to hear that Ithaca is back in business with what sounds like competent management, and a business plan.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful 37s. As others, I had two in the '70s-'80s and let go of both for something else (like a Rem. 1100). I still have the 87 Turkey Gun from the early '90s. Would love a 20 gauge one day.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Here are two of mine...a full 8 shot mag "Home Defender" from the late 70's and a Featherlight from 1952 that Bubba tried to solder a bayo lug to and tapped the receiver for a scope. I cut and faced the barrel after getting a tax stamp for it.

Both slam-fire which makes for a totally new way of shooting for me (tried it for the first time a few weeks ago).

Nice. I think I may get one of Ithaca's long magazine security shotguns in 20 gauge with the walnut stock.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Those are beautiful. I’m glad to hear the company survives with a team that wants to produce a quality product at a good value to the customer. I’ve kind of always wanted an Ithaca and don’t currently own any sporting shotguns. Might be time to start taking a look at them.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

I remember reading books about SEAL teams in Vietnam, and the Ithaca pump shotgun was always highly regarded. Always wanted one after reading their reviews.

I settled (for now) with a Remington 870.

And I bet slam-firing a 12G is...entertaining. Big Grin

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
It's a John Browning design that's survived a century of duty. Several companies have made the M37, Ithaca being the main one.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
And I bet slam-firing a 12G is...entertaining. Big Grin

I’ve done it with a Winchester Model 12. It’s definitely something else. Big Grin

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Those are beautiful shotguns. I'm not sure I dig the gold triggers but otherwise they're VERY nice.

I have my dad's old model 37 FL Deer Slayer (smooth bore with fixed full choke) with an additional bird barrel. The serial number seems to be in the range where you can't change the barrel yet I have a barrel. I never fired the gun or fooled with it so I'm not sure what the story is yet. I'll get to it eventually Smile

Enjoy them!

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always thought of the Model 37 with the straight English stock to be especially elegant looking. Some were made in the 80s but it would be great if more were manufactured. My feeling is that they would be outstanding sellers.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
I've always thought of the Model 37 with the straight English stock to be especially elegant looking. Some were made in the 80s but it would be great if more were manufactured. My feeling is that they would be outstanding sellers.

They offer them:

https://i0.wp.com/ithacagun.co...end.jpg?w=1875&ssl=1

posted Hide Post
Wow thanks! Now I can upgrade my stock with pistol grip in 20 gauge with a nice stock set like that. It will be cheaper than a whole new shotgun!

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post