SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger American Rimfire (a review in budget priced 22s)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger American Rimfire (a review in budget priced 22s) Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
Since Nen and I started our newfound hobby of rat blasting, we find ourselves in need of room for improvement in equipment.

I have been using a Ruger 77/22 and a CZ452FS, both equipped with lasers, lights and NV. They are both spectacular rifles in their own way, but are way too pretty to be delegated to the filthy conditions.

Nen is using a Marlin XT-22. The first gun he has ever bought as an American citizen. He is very proud of his rifle. It's equipped out like mine as I set it up for him. His NV consists of a red/green led flashlight, t-20 lamp, viperwolf dual laser and a nightshot handicam. The same one in the guncam videos.

We have discovered a serious flaw in our choice of weapons.

Capacity. The Marlin holds 7 and magazine availability is scarce, plus there are no mags over 10 rounds available. Only for the auto version.

The CZ holds 5 rounds. 5 fucking rounds. I am spending more time loading mags than shooting.

The 77 is spectacular, but VERY heavy when rigged out. The 10 round rotary mags are lightning quick and easy to change. Being they are 10/22 mags, you can get them anywhere for cheap. 25 round mags and even 100 round drums are available for this popular weapon.

The heavy complex receiver/bolt, wooden stock and proprietary rail makes this a mediocre choice. This rifle is WAY to expensive to be beating around.

This brings us back to the search for a budget rifle with all the features we want for the task at hand.

We want 77/22 features at 1/4 the cost like the Marlin with high ammo capacity and rugged enough to handle the beating its going to take.

After looking them ALL over, I came to the conclusion the Ruger American Rimfire base model fits close to 90% of those demands.

Base price at Cabella's is $309. I picked one up with a BSA sweet22 scope for $250 used. So the price is right. Not under $200 like the Marlin, but with the features we demand, I am willing to expand the cost a bit.

At first glance, it looks on par with all the other budget rimfire rifles, meaning single lug bolt, tube type receiver, simple stock.

Ruger has taken their wonderful Mauser bolt and reduced it down to only the necessary parts to make a cock on open bolt action rifle and still be smooth and reliable. Looks like they started off with the typical Glenfield receiver that has been the standard for a century now and re-engineered it up to modern styling.

The bolt shares no similarities to the 10/22 or 77 in parts. The extractors that are shared in the other rimfires don't fit this bolt. It actually looks more like the Marlin bolt in parts layout albeit sans the cocked striker indicator.

The bolt is removed by a Mauser style lever on the side of the receiver, giving it a hint of a higher quality rifle. Most other 22s, you pull the trigger to release the bolt for cleaning.

HUGE plus is it uses 10/22 mags. We are picking up 25 round mags and a Butler Creek mag loader.

With the reduction in receiver weight and the polymer stock, it weighs less than the Marlin and a full 1/2 the weight of the 77. Major advantage here.

The trigger looks like the Marlin, meaning it is a modern two piece safety type trigger. Adjustable from 5 to 3 lbs of pull. I have to admit I did not expect such a nice feeling trigger from a budget rifle.

So far, it has not balked at ANY ammo I have run through it. It feeds the Aguila Calibri 20gr with no problem, no matter how much I beat the rifle around to make them shift around in the magazine. BOTH the 77 and 452 jammed every time on these.

I got the occasional hangup with the CB longs in the 77 and 452, but the RAR cycles them flawlessly. The bolt uses a formed flat spring type extractor/ejector that positively holds the shells in place.

Good job Ruger!

I am going to see if I can use a standard tube receiver Weaver rail on it instead of the $40 Ruger rail to mount the gear on this morning. I don't want to spend $40 on a rail for close in shooting. Pix and video later as I continue testing.

Off to the fun store for accessories!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
very good write up,

looking forward to more vids etc from the rat blasting

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
OK I got to play with it today.
All I can say is WOW.
It is a very smooth action and trigger. The bolt feels awesome and not cheap.
The trigger is very crisp and predictable.
Ruger his a home run with this rifle.
Video coming...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
OK, here's a short video.

Nen has his with the Butler Creek speed loader and 25 round mags at the chicken farm trying them out.

I had to order the Weaver rails at $40 apiece.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/jwmL1kONd5Y

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Marzy...if you haven't ordered the weaver bases...Brownell's has the #12 Weaver bases for $5.04 each...

https://shop.brownells.com/opt...1de75c09b05d5338a594

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just about everybody has those bases for $5, Bass Pro, Cabelas, the local entrepreneurs.
The rails do give you better options but I adapted.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It already has those on it. None of my lights, lasers, cameras or night vision will attach to them.

I ordered a pair of Evolution Gun Works rails for them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Paid $279 for mine when they first came out. It’s been running strong. No hiccups. Smooth trigger. It’s stupid quiet suppressed with subsonics.

It’s my son’s favorite rifle. Just wish it came in a left handed version for him.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The Evolution Gun Works 0 MOA rail arrived.

It is American made, top quality and fits perfect.

It came with a bit for your bit handle that fits the screws perfect.

Well worth the $40 I spent to get my quick release options on and off the rifle.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i bought one as a suppressor host, but the barrel's threads were wonky and my MASK suppressor wouldn't thread onto it. I sold it to a guy who tried his Sparrow on it, and it worked better - worked enough for him. I'd have loved to keep it, but without the suppressor, it didnt' fit my intended role.

I'm glad it worked out for you!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that they're continuing to put out good product. Sounds like a fine implement to help control the PEST population

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll probably buy a stainless one so I can keep my 77/22 nice.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
Bought one of these for my daughter for her birthday and I/we LOVE it. It's her first gun. I have a blast with it. Really like the barrel finish too, it looks & feels more expensive than it is.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
Been happy with mine. Only complaint really is I wish it had a larger and textured bolt handle. But now I see Ruger is releasing the precision rifle in rimfire and it takes the 10/22 mags as well...I want it.

Posts: 2653 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I picked up one with an 18" threaded barrel today.

It feels like it will be really handy in the tight quarters of a chicken house.

Now I can take a friend!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thats a neat little rifle. That LV ammo is a first for me. Geez my .38 cal wadcutters were faster and on a sunny day could be seen zooming to the target.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post