SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington 870 forearm replacement
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 870 forearm replacement Login/Join 
Picture of Rawny
posted
I want to swap my Ergo forearm to the Hogue to match the Hogue stock, but couldn't loosen the nut. I used a bit of loctite when I installed the Ergo, so that makes it even harder for me to remove now. Mad

Any ideas for a make-shift tool? I understand MagPul includes a tool to remove that nut with their forearm. Any of you have that tool lying around I can borrow?

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I eventually had to craft one out of a cut up section of angle iron and some vise grips. Yeah, I’m sure there’s a dedicated tool for it, but this was in the dark days before 56k dialup. After the fits I had trying to get it off in the first place, I can’t imagine using loctite on that nut! Good luck.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm confused. An 870 forearm is held in place by a magazine cap that is hand tightened. This is removed and the forearm comes off and from there you can break the gun down for cleaning or repair. Are you saying you loctited the magazine cap.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:
Are you saying you loctited the magazine cap.

I am pretty sure he is talking about removing the forend part from the forend tube assembly. There is a special tool that makes removing the retention nut much easier than other methods, especially if one has used thread locker on the nut for some (odd) reason.

https://www.brownells.com/guns...-wrench-prod968.aspx

As such tools go, it’s fairly inexpensive and useful to have to completely disassemble the forend for cleaning, maintenance, or switching parts.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If and when you get it off, I advise not using loctite when you reinstall it. It really isn’t necessary, and as you’ve discovered, makes removal a challenge.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's the screw ring at the end of the forearm to keep it in place.

It unscrewed easily when I installed the Ergo, so I put in a bit of blue loctite in case it backs out after so many pumps.

I should have at least made sure I like the new setup first. Live and learn.

I might try heating it up with a match and see if it loosen up the loctite.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Brownells does make a tool. About $30 bucks. I've never used one though.

Brownells 870 Forearm Wrench

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
heat.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
A small mallet and a flathead screwdriver (or a brass punch if you're worried about leaving marks) has always worked just fine for me.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bdavis
posted Hide Post
I can get you measurements from my tool if you want to make one. Alternately, I could loan mine to you.

Good luck

Posts: 4128 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
Try needle nose pliers.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greyeyezz:
Try needle nose pliers.

This works, especially one with the curved tongs....make sure you have a mallet ready as well

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Heat up a tool to Tansfer heat to ring. Not open flame.
Good luck

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Proper tool for a proper job. I have an ATI wrench, but it's discontinued. I've used it many times and never had a spanner nut that I couldn't remove.

The one Sigfreund posed is good.

This one should work well too...
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...006990931?pid=723227

I have a spare Magpul one if you need it. Send me your address and I'l get it out to you.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I found last week that a regular QD sling swivel fits that screw slot just about perfectly. It may not give you enough leverage if you've Loctited the screw, but in a pinch it fits.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every one I tried to swap out was a bitch to get off. When I went thru the Remington Armorer course, I tried to get them to fess up with a tool. No joy! I eventually bought a tool from Brownells.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:
Guess I'm confused. An 870 forearm is held in place by a magazine cap that is hand tightened. This is removed and the forearm comes off and from there you can break the gun down for cleaning or repair. Are you saying you loctited the magazine cap.

The forend tube, which is attached to the left and right action bars, uses a forend tube nut that takes a special tool. If you want to remove the wooden (or plastic forend), you have to loosen the forend tube nut with the special nut. Has nothing to do with the magazine cap.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I used a big flat washer and turned it with a crescent wrench.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Always used the tool from brownells. Once in a blue moon I'd come across one that was so butchered up from using needle nose pliers or something that just wasn't made for it that it was easier to just replace the nut and action bars vs spending hours trying to save parts that weren't that much.

If you get the tool from brownells you won't even have to bother with loctite, just grease the threads for the future, and tighten down. It'll never back off itself on you.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I have used a nail cut to length. Insert into slot, use pliers to twist.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post