SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do we like for ambi AR pistol lowers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for ambi AR pistol lowers? Login/Join 
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted
Howdy folks,

Contemplating an AR pistol build (probably 11.5"). One thing I'd like it to have is ambi controls, as my fiance shoots rifle/shotgun left handed.

Anybody have any suggestions? Pics welcome! Smile

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
LMT MARS, Sig M400 and KAC come to mind.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would consider buying any lower and getting ambi safety, mag catch and charging handle. You often pay a lot for purpose built ambi stuff and then potentially have other proprietary parts in them. All of our lefties at work use standard lowers with a variety of ambi parts (most just the safety, but a couple fully ambi.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I would consider buying any lower and getting ambi safety, mag catch and charging handle. You often pay a lot for purpose built ambi stuff and then potentially have other proprietary parts in them. All of our lefties at work use standard lowers with a variety of ambi parts (most just the safety, but a couple fully ambi.

Same here.

On long guns, I've been a lefty ever since I picked up a little plastic toy M16 almost fifty some years ago. For my first AR pistol build a little while back, I simply went with a nice set of Aero Precision receivers, then added an ambi Troy mag release and selector lever that I had laying around in the parts bin. For CH, I always use a medium latch BCM Gunfighter.

Makes for easier repairs down the road, if they're ever needed.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GataGunner
posted Hide Post
I have LWRC and LMT lowers. The bolt catch controls are essentially the same, but the mag release on the LWRC is better. LMT is probably the way to go because you can buy "stripped" lowers and put what you want on them (they come with the ambi safety, mag release, and bolt catch installed). LWRC only sells complete lowers which are very pricey.

Posts: 64 | Registered: January 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LMT MARS and KAC.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I'm a lefty, but I'd HIGHLY recommend getting your preferred 'standard lower' of choice, and adding 'Ambi-Control' accessories. Excluding those AR's that had factory 'Ambi' lowers (an LMT MWS in .308 & a KAC LPR in .556), all of my AR's are equipped as follows:

- Radian Talon Ambi-Safety Selector
- Norgon Ambi-Catch Mag Release
- POF-USA Enhanced Universal Bolt Catch. I do have a Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch on one AR, but I favor the POF which is oversized 'just enough' for my liking. Wink
- Radian Raptor Charging Handle (the 'SD' version if the rifle is shot suppressed).

Honestly I prefer the Ambi-Controls on my Std. Lowers listed above to those on the factory Ambi-Lowers, but I'm kinda' particular so YMMV.... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I have experience with LWRC, KAC, and PWS. Hard to pick a favorite, but I'm leaning towards the PWS.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I love the Radian Arms 45° ambi selector.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
Get the LMT MARS, you will not regret it.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I really like my Seekins Billet w/ Radian Arms 45 Degree Selector.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post