SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SKS Magazine Feeding Problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SKS Magazine Feeding Problems Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
I have an older Chinese SKS that's probably 20 years old, and the 30-round magazines I was using (both metal and plastic) have one by one started experiencing feeding problems (shoot two, next round doesn't feed, etc.). When I gave up and re-installed the factory 10-rounder, everything fed fine.

All of the magazines looked okay (lips, springs, mount, etc.), and it doesn't appear that anything is wrong with the magazine catch on the rifle itself.

Does anyone have a good reliable brand of aftermarket magazine to recommend?

Posts: 4489 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Bottom line, no.

Sorry...

Posts: 4176 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The truth is that SKSs work great with their original fixed 10 round magazines, and poorly with anything else.

The only exception is that, if you really, really want a 30 round SKS, you can try to find one of the Norinco SKS-M or SKS-D rifles, which were designed from the get-go to accept AK magazines. But those are uncommon these days, and tend to command a steep premium. ($800-$1000) They're collectibles now.

If an SKS is your only rifle and you're worried about capacity, get some stripper clips, and practice reloading with those. There are a few manufacturers who offer buttstock pouches for the SKS that hold loaded stripper clips, like https://www.strikehardgear.com/sks-buttstock-pouch/

You might be surprised how quickly you can crank off 30 rounds with a little practice.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:
Bottom line, no.

Sorry...

I agree with this^. Best to stick with the original, and use stripper clips.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those Tapco extended magazines were junk. Throw it away and just except the SKS for what it was designed to be. The Chinese continued to use the SKS well after the AK came along because they determined you could reload the fixed magazine faster with the stripper clips than it took to handload an AK mag.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of SKS's
Stick with the factory mag or find a fixed 20rnd Chinese mag and pay a lot for it.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post