SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SHOT 2020
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SHOT 2020 Login/Join 
posted
I will be at SHOT 2020 in the March Scopes booth, # 3263.

This year March in introducing 2 new scopes now in production and will be introducing 2 concept scopes.

First the March 5-42X56 FFP with High Master lens and a Wide Angle eyepiece is ready for production. This is the highly anticipated PRS model. That will be on heck of a scope for that domain.

Next, the Genesis 4-40X52 FFP with 86MIL of adjustment range (72 up and 14 down), is also ready for production. The is the little brother to the Genesis 6-60X56 FFP with 114MIL of elevation travel.

The first new concept scope is a March 1.5-15X42 SFP, a compact and light design. More info when I'm at the show.

The second new concept is a March 4.5-28X52 FFP with High Master Lens and a Wide Angle eyepiece. This is going to be one heck of a scope for practical shooting. Again, more info when I'm at SHOT.

If you happen to be at SHOT, swing by the booth and say hi, I'm the tall, good looking old guy.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I asked you a question in my thread about Nightforce scopes. Any insights you may have about March scopes would be welcome.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I asked you a question in my thread about Nightforce scopes. Any insights you may have about March scopes would be welcome.

I answered in your other thread. Perhaps I should have posted here so as not to pollute your thread. Let me know and I'll move it.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
No pollution of that thread is possible. I am happy for it to evolve into a discussion of different sights, and that's why I asked it there. Thank you, and I will see what you have to say there.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just looked the 5-42 reticles. I believe March is missing the boat with if they're going after the PRS shooter.

FML-TR1
-need to add 1, 3... mil holdover line
-horizontal line marks change further out, should be the same
-center also different then the rest of the horizontal line
-line thickness the same for entire reticle

FML-3
-not sure who they are targeting with this one?

FML-MT
-no need for everything numbered
-so much unnecessary stuff

Look at the Kahles SKMR2 and SKMR3 reticles. Simple, clean reticles designed by a competitive shooter. Also look at the Minox MR4.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Just looked the 5-42 reticles.

Where does one find images of the reticles you mention? They are not on the March site as far as I can determine.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Just looked the 5-42 reticles.

Where does one find images of the reticles you mention? They are not on the March site as far as I can determine.

https://forum.snipershide.com/...es-for-2020.6974857/

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just looked the 5-42 reticles. I believe March is missing the boat with if they're going after the PRS shooter.

FML-TR1
-need to add 1, 3... mil holdover line
-horizontal line marks change further out, should be the same
-center also different then the rest of the horizontal line
-line thickness the same for entire reticle

FML-3
-not sure who they are targeting with this one?

FML-MT
-no need for everything numbered
-so much unnecessary stuff

Look at the Kahles SKMR2 and SKMR3 reticles. Simple, clean reticles designed by a competitive shooter. Also look at the Minox MR4.

Thanks for the comments, I'll pass them along.

Merry Christmas. Smile

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I bought a March 3-24x42 FFP the moment they were available after participating in the discussion at Sniper's Hide during the development of the scope.

I love that scope. When it came out, to me, it was by a wide margin the best available (relatively) light and compact scope for a lightweight, short-to-long-range, hunting-to-practical-match rifle.

I got busy with life shortly after building the rifle and haven't done any competitions, but it sure makes deer and turkey hunting easy.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I bought a March 3-24x42 FFP the moment they were available after participating in the discussion at Sniper's Hide during the development of the scope.

I love that scope. When it came out, to me, it was by a wide margin the best available (relatively) light and compact scope for a lightweight, short-to-long-range, hunting-to-practical-match rifle.

I got busy with life shortly after building the rifle and haven't done any competitions, but it sure makes deer and turkey hunting easy.

The March 3-24X42 is an awesome scope. I have been toying with the idea of getting such a scope as my first foray into FFP scopes. We shall see.

In the meantime, I just learned that March will also be introducing a 1-10X24 FFP Shorty with side focus as a concept scope at SHOT. 30mm tube, 56MIL of E/W travel, focus minimum 10 yards, 8.4 inches long and 17 ounces. That should be interesting.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
If size and weight aren't important, there are a bunch of other great options, but for a rifle where size and weight are important, the 3-24x42 is (or at least was - I haven't kept up) in a league of its own.

Most of the scopes with similar features, quality, and maximum magnification were 5-25x50 or 5-25x56 scopes that were 3-4" longer and 12-16 ounces heavier.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The weight thing is one big aspect that drew me to March scopes in the first place. Coupled with a huge zoom ratio, that was a hit with me.

My current F-TR match rifle scope is the March-X 5-50X56. It has a 10X zoom ratio and it only weighs 30 ounces. It replaced my Nightforce NXS 12-42X56 with was another half pound in weight with a 30mm tube. The March has a 34mm tube because the material thickness is 4mm instead of the regular 2mm.

With that extra 8ounces in the weight budget, my rifle scould make weight with a longer heavier barrel. I'd rather have the weight in the barrel rather than the riflescope, provided I get the specs I need.

As with everything in optics, it's all about a balance of weight, specs and price. You want light weight, great optics, and durability, it's going to cost you.

posted Hide Post
March has finally published the spec sheets for the models that were introduced at SHOT Show 2020.

You can view them here:
https://marchscopes.com/news/4000/

I'm looking forward to the release of the 4.5-28X52 and the 1.5-15X42.

I had a hand in the creation of the Service Rifle reticle MTR-D3 for this 1-4.5X24.
https://marchscopes.com/scopes/d4.5v24tm/

There were a number of US Military Competition shooters stopping by during SHOT to check out the reticle. That was a lot of fun.