SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Savage Rascal Zero Distance *UPDATED* w/ short range report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Rascal Zero Distance *UPDATED* w/ short range report Login/Join 
Picture of AnimalMother88
posted
Just put the Busnell TRS25 Red Dot on my son's (let's be honest, it's mine) Rascal. It wil mostly be used plinking cans and targets but occasionally to take out pest starlings. I'm thinking a 25 yard zero would be sufficient. Thoughts?

Rascal

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AnimalMother88,

Posts: 1338 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The traditional zeroing distance for rifles like that was 50 feet (~17 yards), but that may have been because of the 50' NRA “small bore” course of fire. As I recall, it did provide a decent trajectory for close range targets.

I would say, though, that you should just experiment with that and perhaps a 25 yard zero and shoot at different distances to see what the point of impact is and how much hold-off is required. And of course different ammunition will have different trajectories.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I zero .22 at 20 yards. Just slightly low at 60 yards and about an inch low at 75. Thats for high velocity loads.
Thats what I start with, anyway.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Janq
posted Hide Post
Generally .22LR in rifle format is zeroed at 25 yds.

"Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy
Monday, March 12, 2007 -- Op Ed -- The Washington Post

Posts: 499 | Registered: September 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zeroed ours at 25 yards. It should be perfectly sufficient for the use of the rifle.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnimalMother88
posted Hide Post
Finally had a chance to get out and zero it. First three shots from 20yds, no adjustment needed.Zeroed with CCI Mini Mag 22 LR HP. The little rifle is pretty fun I must say. My fat fingers do cause a bit of a struggle when loading. One failure to eject shut us down sooner than I'd hoped, as the boy lost interest when we had to go grab a clearing rod from the house. The best part is that his fundamentals and safety awareness improves every time we go out.
Take a kid shooting, it's the best.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AnimalMother88,

Posts: 1338 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post