SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New Remington 700 BDL in .270 Winchester
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
New Remington 700 BDL in .270 Winchester Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
Found a place with some new 700 BDL Custom Deluxes for sale and that wasn't price gouging. This one is in .270 Winchester. I would have preferred .30-06 but .270 is just fine.

I gave up my black rifles some time ago to buy back some of the guns I had in my youth that I always regretted selling. I never had a BDL in .270. I had Weatherby Vanguard.

This Remington seems flawless. Not a mark on it and cycles great. I can slide a dollar bill between the stock and barrel all the way up to the receiver with no resistance.

I'll be putting a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm on this one in Warne Maxima QD rings.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice, a classic rifle in a classic cartridge. Good for almost all game in North and South America. An excellent choice.

I have a Weatherby in .270 Winchester, which seems odd, but it is from Weatherby's very early days when Roy Weatherby didn't chamber them all for Weatherby rounds. Mine is on a Mauser action, even, not a Weatherby action. Mine has a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40. It had a 60 or 70 year old scope on it, but even the cheapest of scopes now is better than that one, which was a good scope in its day.

It is an easy shooting, capable hunting round.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I'd put this scope on it.

https://ammoandarmsstore.com/170678gb/

I actually thought about that but it's Cerakoted and not Leupold's own gloss finish. Not that there's anything wrong with it. I just want a factory finish, even if its matte.

And that's where I got this rifle. Elk County Arms is awesome to deal with.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
That rifle looks like it’s in beautiful shape, congratulations.

I hunted with the 270 for about 15 years and it was an extremely effective cartridge, very nice combo you have there.

Once you choose the scope and get it finished off please post some more pictures.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Report This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:

I actually thought about that but it's Cerakoted and not Leupold's own gloss finish. Not that there's anything wrong with it. I just want a factory finish, even if its matte.

And that's where I got this rifle. Elk County Arms is awesome to deal with.

That is one beautiful rifle...a true classic Cool
The reason for that scope being Cerokoated in gloss black is probably due to the lack of old style gloss being produced today... I haven’t seen a gloss finish Leupold scope (except used in a long time...same for other brands) which makes no sense to me...Leupold might do an old school gloss finish as a special option...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com...-a-thing-of-the-past

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I wish they would do a gloss scope, too. The cerakoted version looks okay, but it's not the same. I think you can still get their rimfire scopes in gloss, however.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Did you date the SN? I’d rather an older gun, 40++ years than anything new today. The 270 is the 6.5 Creedmoor of yesteryear.

It’s like the 870 shotgun. I’d much rather have a 70’s(or earlier) Wingmaster than a new one.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
She is a beauty for sure.
I like the .270 round very much. I have a Sig SHR 970 in .270 and it is quite the treat.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty, congrats!
Exactly the same as mine from years ago, and that was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever had.
With a 6x Redfield I got at least one 3 shot 100 yard group that I literally covered with a dime. Federal classic 130gr. by the way, nothing fancy or tailored.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
This is a new production rifle, right? Or at least never previously owned...

I'm not a huge fan of Remington rifles in general but that is a pretty one.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's new production.

Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Really lovely rifle, have one in 6.5 Creedmoore very accurate. Mine intended use is Whitetail.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I swear, if I could find one of those '70s Redfield scopes, mint condition, gloss finish, with the TV-screen shaped objective lens, I'd be tempted to mount that bad boy on this rifle in some see through mounts. '70s deer hunting goodness.

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
That is really beautiful. It makes me wish I never sold my Remington 721 in .270.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It's beautiful.

But it points to all the downfall of Remington threads. "700 BDL Custom Deluxe", once upon a time that was just a 700.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Once, there were only a couple of 700s. As of Remington's most recent demise, there were two dozen.

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Also need to mention that the 700BDL stock was always the most comfortable to me. It was as if they were either custom made for me, or I was genetically engineered to fit them.

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. I have the same thing from 1978, in 30-06. First big game rifle I ever purchased. I put a sweet Leupold 3x9 on it, and had the trigger done. It'll shoot under an inch at a 100yds, with hand-loads. It loves 165 grain Noslers. Good luck with yours.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Report This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I swear, if I could find one of those '70s Redfield scopes, mint condition, gloss finish, with the TV-screen shaped objective lens, I'd be tempted to mount that bad boy on this rifle in some see through mounts. '70s deer hunting goodness.

Growing up, my dad deer hunted with a Remington 700 .270 with a Redfield Widefield scope. He kept the scope when he traded the rifle and later put in on a 10/22. Last year gave my kids that 10/22 with the Widefield scope. That thing is the bees knees!

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 583 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Report This Post