SIGforum
New Remington 700 BDL in .270 Winchester

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4900084674

November 13, 2020, 09:37 PM
DansSIGs
New Remington 700 BDL in .270 Winchester
OP,
Your newly acquired 700BDL current production RR prefix serial numbered receiver is of "short cam" bolt handle design which will NOT extract smokeless primer modules from said breech plugs.

Since Rem blues the Bbl'd action since Dthru current RR receivers-
I'd suggest that you clean the chamber & bore by hand lapping or it will be a copper streaking carbon fouling tent state of a BBL.

Favor Center,Mass.
November 14, 2020, 07:42 AM
Micropterus
quote:

OP,
Your newly acquired 700BDL current production RR prefix serial numbered receiver is of "short cam" bolt handle design which will NOT extract smokeless primer modules from said breech plugs.

Since Rem blues the Bbl'd action since Dthru current RR receivers-
I'd suggest that you clean the chamber & bore by hand lapping or it will be a copper streaking carbon fouling tent state of a BBL.

Favor Center,Mass.

Well, I'm glad we got that cleared up.

November 14, 2020, 09:37 AM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Well, I'm glad we got that cleared up.

Big Grin

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
November 14, 2020, 10:22 AM
cas
Note to the OP, don't rebarrel your new .270 into a muzzle loader. Check.

November 14, 2020, 12:31 PM
MNSIG
quote:
Originally posted by Turbo216:
quote:
I swear, if I could find one of those '70s Redfield scopes, mint condition, gloss finish, with the TV-screen shaped objective lens, I'd be tempted to mount that bad boy on this rifle in some see through mounts. '70s deer hunting goodness.

Growing up, my dad deer hunted with a Remington 700 .270 with a Redfield Widefield scope. He kept the scope when he traded the rifle and later put in on a 10/22. Last year gave my kids that 10/22 with the Widefield scope. That thing is the bees knees!

I had a 2-7 Widefield on a 700BDL in 300WM back in the late 70s. By today's standards, the clarity wasn't all that great and the adjustments not as precise. Still, once you got them locked in, they were very nice. I appreciated the ability to keep the scope mounted low while still retaining a bit more field of view.
November 14, 2020, 01:01 PM
DansSIGs
Op & the other 700 Guru's w/o a clue

When your 700 will NOT extract fired brass from the chamber,do not induce harmonics/vibration w/ a 2x4 or a hammer since the bolt handle is silver brazed to the body. DUH!!

Have either of the guru's ever repaired one-NO

Would you have the slightest clue what's involved-NO

Favor Center,Mass.
November 14, 2020, 01:26 PM
apprentice

November 14, 2020, 01:28 PM
MNSIG
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
It's beautiful.

But it points to all the downfall of Remington threads. "700 BDL Custom Deluxe", once upon a time that was just a 700.

That's what mine was called back in 1977, so it's a fairly old model designation.
November 14, 2020, 01:28 PM
MNSIG
quote:
Originally posted by DansSIGs:
Op & the other 700 Guru's w/o a clue

When your 700 will NOT extract fired brass from the chamber,do not induce harmonics/vibration w/ a 2x4 or a hammer since the bolt handle is silver brazed to the body. DUH!!

Have either of the guru's ever repaired one-NO

Would you have the slightest clue what's involved-NO

You're right, I have no F'n clue what you're talking about. "Primer modules?"
November 14, 2020, 01:31 PM
sigfreund
Tony Zak, is that you?
I was offered some Old Overholt rye whiskey when I woke up outside Fairbanks at 6:00 A.M. one time, but I thought that was the exception rather than the rule even there.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
November 14, 2020, 01:46 PM
Micropterus
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Tony Zak, is that you?
I was offered some Old Overholt rye whiskey when I woke up outside Fairbanks at 6:00 A.M. one time, but I thought that was the exception rather than the rule even there.

Sigfreund, this is the same guy that, on another sig forum, claims he was sold a select fire Mini-14 made for the prison and "penile" industry by a guy who didn't know what he had. When DansSIGs discovered what he had, he "cut it up to get it out of circulation."

He's our very own Gecko45.

November 14, 2020, 02:04 PM
sigfreund
Thanks, I will remember that.

6.4/93.6

— Plato
November 14, 2020, 03:14 PM
DansSIGs
quote:

Sigfreund, this is the same guy that, on another sig forum, claims he was sold a select fire Mini-14 made for the prison and "penile" industry by a guy who didn't know what he had. When DansSIGs discovered what he had, he "cut it up to get it out of circulation."
He's our very own Gecko45.

Micro & Sig F-Up,
Your reading & comprehension is AFU.
I purchased a select fire Mini from an idiot that hadn't a clue what he had.
I cut the POS Ruger into pieces to take it out of circulation.

The BP module was a reference to the inability of current Rem's extraction issues-
DUH

And GFY's

Favor Center,Mass.
November 14, 2020, 04:01 PM
Micropterus
I'll take note. Thanks.

I have to admit, your Walter Mitty ramblings have made for some entertaining reading.

November 14, 2020, 04:28 PM
MNSIG
quote:
OP,

Fill us in with your expertise. Where is the "breech plug" located in a centerfire rifle (270 Win) chamber? Is "primer module" the cool new name for brass cases?
November 14, 2020, 04:45 PM
DansSIGs
Fill us in with your expertise. Where is the "breech plug" located in a centerfire rifle (270 Win) chamber? Is "primer module" the cool new name for brass cases?[/QUOTE]

Read,Heed,Comprehend Einstein-
The BP module was a reference to the inability of current Rem's extraction issues-
DUH

I've repaired TIMING issue(s) on over 10,000 Rem/Clone actions for the best in the world since the late 80's.

Pull your head out prior to typing your ignorance.

Favor Center,Mass.
November 14, 2020, 04:54 PM
Micropterus
quote:
I've repaired TIMING issue(s) on over 10,000 Rem/Clone actions for the best in the world since the late 80's.

Pull your head out prior to typing your ignorance.

Oh, I believe you. Roll Eyes

November 14, 2020, 09:07 PM
fritz
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DansSIGs:
I've repaired TIMING issue(s) on over 10,000 Rem/Clone actions for the best in the world since the late 80's./QUOTE]
Oh, I believe you. Roll Eyes

Enquiring minds want to know..... Just for grins, 1987 to 2020 is 33 years. 10,000 divided by 33 is 303 actions per year. Assuming vacations & holidays, maybe 48 weeks of work per year. Which means 6.3 actions per week, or an average of 1-1/4 actions every day. Every single frickin' day for 33 frickin' years. Ab-so-frickin'-lutely. As my staff says... Well..That's..Fantastic....
November 15, 2020, 05:28 AM
Micropterus
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Enquiring minds want to know..... Just for grins, 1987 to 2020 is 33 years. 10,000 divided by 33 is 303 actions per year. Assuming vacations & holidays, maybe 48 weeks of work per year. Which means 6.3 actions per week, or an average of 1-1/4 actions every day. Every single frickin' day for 33 frickin' years. Ab-so-frickin'-lutely. As my staff says... Well..That's..Fantastic....

Thanks for extrapolating this out. It's a valid observation. One person, 10,000 action jobs for just timing. Roll Eyes

But it was posted well past his bedtime. When mom gives him computer time today, maybe he'll gives us an answer. Smile

November 15, 2020, 05:37 AM
MNSIG
quote:

Thanks for extrapolating this out. It's a valid observation. One person, 10,000 action jobs for just timing. Roll Eyes

But it was posted well past his bedtime. When mom gives him computer time today, maybe he'll gives us an answer. Smile

Hey! I'm still looking for an explanation of where the breech plug is located on my centerfire 700s. I want to make sure I buy some mil-spec breech plug grease to properly maintain it. Razz

Remember also, the "best in the world" are sending their rifles to Alaska to have them worked on. Surely one of you guys that shoots competition has heard of his shop that is so highly regarded.