SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any experience w/CMP 'Special' grade M1?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience w/CMP 'Special' grade M1? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
I pick up the .308 H&R M1 Special this evening, and hope to make it to the range tomorrow.

That didn't take long Big Grin. Make sure you post up some pics of that one when you get it, and let us know how it shoots!

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
I pick up the .308 H&R M1 Special this evening, and hope to make it to the range tomorrow.

That didn't take long Big Grin. Make sure you post up some pics of that one when you get it, and let us know how it shoots!

After being told the seller also had a .308 H&R, I told the story to my wife after she returned home from work. She immediately became kind of excited for me, asking if I was going to get that one too. My thoughts, not my words, were 'who are you, and what have you done with my wife??' I had already asked the seller to give me a month or so to put together the cash. With that endorsement, I decided to pick it up much sooner Wink. Amazing what you can get away with when you buy the wife a new Jeep Wrangler Islander Razz. To be fair, she doesn't give me a hard time as long as business is taken care of, but her reaction was unexpected.

Will do!

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
You sir, have made good choices in life, and are now reaping the rewards! Razz Smile

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
You sir, have made good choices in life, and are now reaping the rewards! Razz Smile

So very true. I may look dumb, may in fact be dumb, but I ain't THAT dumb Cool! I over achieved, that's for sure.

Just returned home with the new(est) H&R in .308, and I have to say it is as nice as the first one! Absolutely no pitting anywhere, beautiful new wood, nicely parked, and with a brand new barrel that the seller lapped in for me! As an added bonus he installed a national match rear sight. Hope to shoot it tomorrow! Will try to take some pictures while there is some natural sunlight, and give a range report.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up the .308 H&R M1 Garand Monday evening and planned on sharing some pictures the next day. Before I snapped a couple of pictures though I took it to the range where I ended up having some problems. It is understood that .308 M1s can be a bit more temperamental that 30.06 M1s, and this one seems to be one of those cases. At times the rifle would extract an empty but not feed a live cartridge, closing the bolt on an empty chamber, one time I had a misfeed where the tip of the round was stuck at 11 o’clock, and the clip never ejected. It seemed the rifle was short stroking on the Aguila 147gr for ammo for some reason.

I took it home, cleaned it up and lubed it real well, checked the diameter of the gas piston and made sure the op rod wasn’t coming into contact with the stock. Another trip to the range today, where I first tried Black Hills 168gr reman and it was a disaster! Either it wouldn’t eject, wouldn’t feed the next round or would spit a live round onto the floor!! Needless to say I was starting to get concerned!

Then I tried some PMC 147gr fmj .308 that I happened to buy at the range and it was the difference between night and day. First, the recoil was noticeably more stout. The rifle fed, ejected and popped the empty clip 100%!! I guess this thing just need some more stout ammo than the lethargic Aguila and Black Hills 7.62X51 that would run in my M1a.

The rifle is an absolute beauty, with no pitting to be found and a beautiful stock. The trigger is a bit heavier than on my other M1s, so that may require attention in the future. It is very accurate, as I can’t recall shooting any other center fire rifle through open sights any better in years. I am sure the national match rear sight has something to do with that. I am very happy with this new M1 as I think it has all kinds of potential.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sprg03-A3,

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is very tight and clean, and now is mine!

Wow. That is pristine!

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Before the panic began, I would’ve said that was a fair price. Now I’d say that’s a good price.

I'll go ahead and amend this to say that's an amazing price for that rifle. I wouldn't have even thought twice.

*Edit- And now I see you not only scored one, but TWO nice M1's! Whatever happened last year, you're starting off 2021 sitting pretty.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
She's a beaut! Glad you got your cycling issues figured out. You've had a good month!

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Make sure the gas plug is tight if you haven't already.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Make sure the gas plug is tight if you haven't already.

I have, & it was. Checked for cracked poppet also.