SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any experience w/CMP 'Special' grade M1?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience w/CMP 'Special' grade M1? Login/Join 
posted
I have an opportunity to scratch an old itch. A local private seller has a CMP 'Special' grade H&R M1 Garand with new wood and barrel, all metal either refinished or new, unfired and with all the CMP stuff and a bandoleer of HXP in en blocs. Certainly not cheap at $1500 asking price. IIRC the CMP was selling H&R 'Special' grade for $1250 when I was at the North Store last July, so the price isn't out of line with the added ammo. From the description and pictures there doesn't appear to be any pitting on the receiver or op rod.

I have owned a couple of Garands for years, a Winchester and a 4 digit SA. Neither are collectors, being mismatched and the 4 digit having been rebarreled. I have always wanted a 'like new' M1 Garand and this seems to fit the bill. However it isn't cheap, my Garand match shooting days are probably behind me and the aging eyes aren't getting any better, as was evident while trying to shoot my then new M1a last summer! Therefore I want to make sure as best I can that CMP Special grades are intrinsically worth the freight. Anyone had any first hand experience with them?

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mason's Rifle Room

I'd say go for it. I built my own "Like-new" M1 and it still cost me $1,550 in parts not counting the barrel. The barrel was given to me by Lothar-Walther and it retails for $450. So with the price of the barrel and the custom Les Tam heavy sling, this one would cost about $2,150. The only non-GI parts are the barrel, stock and sling. Everything is SA correct built on a 4.7M series SA receiver. It's got NM/2A rear sights and a NM thin front sight as well.

So if yours looks like-new, I'd say $1,500 is a fair price.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Before the panic began, I would’ve said that was a fair price. Now I’d say that’s a good price.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge hit it on the head
I have been studying/monitoring the prices on them so I could get one for my father and they keep continue to rise.

I think that is a very good deal especially with the ammo and clips.

I still kick myself in the rear when I think about all those times strolling through the local Woolco's with my grandfather and seeing drums of them for about 50-75 bucks.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The CMP Special grade rifles are rebuilds from the CMP that feature brand new Criterion barrels, brand new stocks from DuPage (I think) and with either all new metal or reparked metal in select condition. As such, they are as close to a 'new' M1 Garand as can be found, although not all matching or collectible. Nor do they have the 'mystique' of being a 'battle rifle' as carried by Grandpa on Saipan. Comparable Fulton Armory rifles would run almost $1000 additional.

If it is as advertised, this rifle is a bit more desirable because there is no evident pitting in the metal, the receiver and op rod in particular.

Still mulling it over. Would love to own it, but I already have a couple M1s, albeit not as pristine as this, and I justified buying a new M1a last year because my Garands are getting so old and parts so expensive Wink.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Have one and love it.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I have one. It’s like a brand new gun. Nowadays, I think that’s a good price. You likely won’t find another anytime soon for less.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I’ve had one for years from CMP. Bought it for a similar price.

Springfield receiver from roughly Oct 1944.

New barrel.

New wood.

Other parts are genuine but sourced from other rifles (e.g., sights).

Thus, not collectible but it is a great shooter.

Actually, mine may indeed have battle mystic or experience. Which is why it was rebuilt from receiver up.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made an appointment to check out the rifle last evening. What I found was a pristine M1 Garand that looks like it just left the factory at H&R in 1955! There was absolutely no pitting on any of the metal, including the receiver. It is very tight and clean, and now is mine!

The seller was a very nice, older gentleman, very polite, patient and knowledgeable. He is still shooting competition, just for fun, and is very well versed on American military surplus firearms.

Although I may have paid a premium for a non collectible mixmaster M1 Garand, I am very happy with the rifle. Taking it to the range tomorrow!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sprg03-A3,

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I love the old worn out Garands, but I enjoy the nice clean ones as well!

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
I’ve had one for years from CMP. Bought it for a similar price.

Springfield receiver from roughly Oct 1944.

New barrel.

New wood.

Other parts are genuine but sourced from other rifles (e.g., sights).

Thus, not collectible but it is a great shooter.

Actually, mine may indeed have battle mystic or experience. Which is why it was rebuilt from receiver up.

I agree with your notion about battle mystique. That is something big in parts of the milsurp community, but I don’t subscribe to it personally. I have all bases covered with my M1s though as my Winchester shows lots of character. Not so much with my 1938 era Garand. New stock when purchased, and I rebarreled it.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Nice score! It looks great and I think you were smart to snatch it up.

Congrats!

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Nice score! It looks great and I think you were smart to snatch it up.

Congrats!

Tony.

Thank you! I am very happy with it. I always pause a little when dropping $1500 though Wink, and have bought several guns as of late so that doesn’t help!

You have a beautiful rifle BTW! Very clean and sharp. Near correct is an added bonus. All three of mine are mix-masters, but shoot great. I really like the NM sights on my 1938 era rifle, but find as I get older the thicker front sight works better for me.

posted Hide Post
Just returned from the range, an indoor range with only a 50 yard range. Sorry...It’s Michigan in January!!

I was only able to shoot for a half hour. Rifle ran 100%, absolutely no problems with it. Ammo was 24 rounds of S&B 150 gr M2 ball purchased from the CMP last summer. Trigger was very nice for an M1 Garand. Empties all landed at 2 o’clock about 6-8 feet from the rifle. Clips popped out at about 3 o’clock about a foot or so from the rifle. Empty brass looked very good as well. I was able to dial it in to shoot about an inch above the bull after some fiddling around with the sights, about as accurately as I am able to shoot anymore!

Very happy with the rifle. Only regrets are the seller informed me he has a similar H&R Special in .308 Roll Eyes , another long standing itch.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
Just returned from the range, an indoor range with only a 50 yard range. Sorry...It’s Michigan in January!!

I was only able to shoot for a half hour. Rifle ran 100%, absolutely no problems with it. Ammo was 24 rounds of S&B 150 gr M2 ball purchased from the CMP last summer. Trigger was very nice for an M1 Garand. Empties all landed at 2 o’clock about 6-8 feet from the rifle. Clips popped out at about 3 o’clock about a foot or so from the rifle. Empty brass looked very good as well. I was able to dial it in to shoot about an inch above the bull after some fiddling around with the sights, about as accurately as I am able to shoot anymore!

Very happy with the rifle. Only regrets are the seller informed me he has a similar H&R Special in .308 Roll Eyes , another long standing itch.

Very nice! Good to see that it's all good.

If you ever want to change calibers, mine is in 308 and I'd be happy to do it. I can get criterions and Lothar-Walther 308 Garand barrels.

Tony

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice Garand! That thing does indeed look like new...I'd say you did alright. It's not like you can go pick one up at the factory these days.

I have a CMP Special Rack Grade that I got a little over a year ago. It's not as nice as yours...there's some pitting under the refinishing on the receiver and a few of the small parts show some discoloration, but overall I'm thrilled for what I paid. My brothers each bought one around the same time, and while all three are good shooters, mine is the nicest cosmetically of the three. My receiver is a 6 digit Springfield from 11/42...and while I know it's a refinished mutt, I still think that's kinda cool.

The walnut CMP stocks are really quite nice...I know they lack the mystique of authenticity, but it's a quality part. The new criterion barrel makes them great shooters, too...the limiting factor for me is definitely the nut behind the trigger. Before this rifle, though, I'd have never believed I could get those kinds of results with iron sights.

I sent in for a service grade a couple of weeks ago...hoping for something a little more "original" this time to balance out the collection...but I'm still gonna shoot it!

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:

Very nice! Good to see that it's all good.

If you ever want to change calibers, mine is in 308 and I'd be happy to do it. I can get criterions and Lothar-Walther 308 Garand barrels.

Tony

Thank you! That is very kind of you. The seller offered to set aside the .308 H&R for me so I can recoup my cash stash. I asked him to do so. As an added bonus that rifle has national match sights installed!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Very nice Garand! That thing does indeed look like new...I'd say you did alright. It's not like you can go pick one up at the factory these days.

I have a CMP Special Rack Grade that I got a little over a year ago. It's not as nice as yours...there's some pitting under the refinishing on the receiver and a few of the small parts show some discoloration, but overall I'm thrilled for what I paid. My brothers each bought one around the same time, and while all three are good shooters, mine is the nicest cosmetically of the three. My receiver is a 6 digit Springfield from 11/42...and while I know it's a refinished mutt, I still think that's kinda cool.

The walnut CMP stocks are really quite nice...I know they lack the mystique of authenticity, but it's a quality part. The new criterion barrel makes them great shooters, too...the limiting factor for me is definitely the nut behind the trigger. Before this rifle, though, I'd have never believed I could get those kinds of results with iron sights.

I sent in for a service grade a couple of weeks ago...hoping for something a little more "original" this time to balance out the collection...but I'm still gonna shoot it!

It is so cool that you have such ready access to so much research on these rifles! I have told my sons that their Grandfather probably carried one of these things in the Pacific in WWII! My Winchester is mutt like yours, a WWII beat up mixmaster, but it is loaded with character. When my eyes were younger I was able to use these sights very well, but not so much anymore. Still about the best sights I am able to use. And, yes, the stock is very nice. I tried installing a new stock years ago. Being totally clueless it never worked out.

Good luck with your service grade. Please post some photos when you get it.

BTW..... I think almost all M1s are refinished mutts Razz

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yep, researching them is half the fun. It's pretty awesome to be able to own and shoot and authentic piece of history that may have been used to fight the Nazis, the Japanese, or even the North Koreans. And even without the historical element, it's a very capable platform. I'll definitely be sure to post some pics up when I get it...they're saying up to 12 weeks now, so it may be a while.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Yep, researching them is half the fun. It's pretty awesome to be able to own and shoot and authentic piece of history that may have been used to fight the Nazis, the Japanese, or even the North Koreans. And even without the historical element, it's a very capable platform. I'll definitely be sure to post some pics up when I get it...they're saying up to 12 weeks now, so it may be a while.

Unfortunate that you will have such a long wait. I guess it could be worse though. I had almost a year wait for my Brig Tac!! I am sure it will be worth it though. Until recently I hadn't shot one of my Garands for quite a long time, mostly shooting pistols lately, and I forgot what great shooting rifles they actually are! In fact, until I bought a loaded M1a last year, it had been years since I shot a Garand style rifle. I pick up the .308 H&R M1 Special this evening, and hope to make it to the range tomorrow.