SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking at Colt LE 6920 AR 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at Colt LE 6920 AR 15 Login/Join 
posted
I am somewhat confused by the 8 versions of this model. I am looking for 30 round capacity and do not fully understand the differences between the various models. Primarily looking at this for recreational and target shooting. Any thoughts? Thanks

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
The rifles are all the same sans window dressing... What kind of shooting are you looking to do ? Is weight a factor ? And do you prefer a particular style (look) ?

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Quick breakdown

• M4 Carbine- Basic model, pinned front sight base with carbine length gas, GI stock, A2 grip, oval double heatshield handguards
  • M4 Trooper- the front sight base is replaced with a low profile gas block, and the rifle has a Centurion MLOK rail/handguard
  • Enhanced Patrol Rifle- Trooper with folding iron sights, and a B5 Bravo SOPMOD stock
  • OEM1- basic model with pinned front sight base, no stock, no handguard, for you to add your own drop-in system
  • OEM2- same as OEM1, but with a low-profile gas block to add a free float rail
  • M4 Monolithic- has a pinned gas block/folding front sight, and the quad rail handguard is part of the upper receiver to maximize rigidity of the rail and provide an uninterrupted top rail.

My pick would be the Trooper or EPR, the Centurion rail is high quality and adding a free float rail is a great upgrade for using scopes, accessories, and maximizing accuracy potential.

I thought Colt had begun introducing mid-length gas systems to their rifles, but I don't see any of the 6920 models with anything other than carbine-length gas.
  •  
    Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have the carbine. It's a basic model but I don't compete and it's basically just a rifle to have fun with and shoot.
    Never a problem and accuracy has been good.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Go ahead punk, make my day
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rustpot:
    I thought Colt had begun introducing mid-length gas systems to their rifles, but I don't see any of the 6920 models with anything other than carbine-length gas.
    It is the LE6960 CCU version, currently out of stock everywhere. Midlength gas, cut down FSB, and a Centurion rail with QD attachments (similar but a step up from the Trooper rail).

https://www.taloinc.com/colt-f...cu-combat-unit-rifle

I have a LE6920 Trooper and it's awesome.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    The rifles are all the same sans window dressing... What kind of shooting are you looking to do ? Is weight a factor ? And do you prefer a particular style (look) ?

^^^^^^^
    Weight is somewhat of a factor. I know some are considerably heavier than others.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Glorious SPAM!
    Picture of mbinky
    posted Hide Post
    The 6920 in any of its forms is a great rifle. If you want to shed a bit more weight the 6720 has the pencil barrel, otherwise it's the same as the 6920.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Military Arms Collector
    Picture of darkest2000
    posted Hide Post
    There are some variations on the rollmarks, some are stamped the later ones are laser engraved, some say M4 Carbine and some say M4A1 Carbine, some have UID etched...the latest ones are U.S. property marked, etc.

The SOCOM models also have SOCOM heavy profile barrels and KAC Rails.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Quick breakdown

• M4 Carbine- Basic model, pinned front sight base with carbine length gas, GI stock, A2 grip, oval double heatshield handguards
  • M4 Trooper- the front sight base is replaced with a low profile gas block, and the rifle has a Centurion MLOK rail/handguard
  • Enhanced Patrol Rifle- Trooper with folding iron sights, and a B5 Bravo SOPMOD stock
  • OEM1- basic model with pinned front sight base, no stock, no handguard, for you to add your own drop-in system
  • M4 Monolithic- has a pinned gas block/folding front sight, and the quad rail handguard is part of the upper receiver to maximize rigidity of the rail and provide an uninterrupted top rail.

My pick would be the Trooper or EPR, the Centurion rail is high quality and adding a free float rail is a great upgrade for using scopes, accessories, and maximizing accuracy potential.

• What about the Magpul version? How does that compare?

LE6920MPS

https://www.colt.com/series/M4_MAGPUL_SERIES

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rustpot
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:
    quote:
    Quick breakdown

• What about the Magpul version? How does that compare?

LE6920MPS

https://www.colt.com/series/M4_MAGPUL_SERIES

It's the same as the M4 Carbine or OEM1, but it has Magpul SL-series components, Buttstock, grip, handguard. MBUS Gen2 rear sight, MOE trigger guard, and a MVG vertical grip.

Other than those parts, it is identical.

Prices of those individual components (roughly speaking, sales prices or individual vendors vary)
    -Stock $38
    -Grip $19
    -Trigger guard $8.50
    -Handguard $33
    -Rear sight $55
    -Vertical grip $21
    ---Total approx $175

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    california
    tumbles into the sea
    posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Lookout! Once you get into shooting carbines they tend to multiply.. I started out with a basic Colt M4gery... Then a classic A1 Carbine showed up then I bought parts and built one [or my gunsmith friend did]. Optics, etc.
    My basic 14.5 SOCOM barrel, iron sights carbine is my favorite. The Colt SOCOM barrel has a good accuracy reputation.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I bought myself a 6920 Trooper last Xmas as a present - my first complete AR purchase and I really like it. The Centurion Rail is great and at the time Troopers were only $800, which made them a deal compared to the EPR which run about $1250-1300.

I've seen 16" 6920 EPRs for sale again recently, but not Troopers or OEM2s - someone said the Trooper variant was made to move more OEM2s last year. I wish I had bought 2 of them when they could be found for $675 last summer (yes, $675 for a Trooper).

posted Hide Post
    [quote]The 6920 in any of its forms is a great rifle. If you want to shed a bit more weight the 6720 has the pencil barrel, otherwise it's the same as the 6920.[/quote

This is what I went with. Picked it up this week. Like the lighter weight.

Glorious SPAM!
    Picture of mbinky
    posted Hide Post
    Congrats on the 6720! It's an excellent carbine. Although I also have a 6920 the 6720 is my "goto, do anything" choice. I have no plans to mount a 203 and every ounce helps lol. Mine stays box stock with the exception of a TA31H-G and a KAC micro rear. I even use the cheap sling that came with it Smile

A fun carbine I have the utmost confidence in. Yours will serve you well.

posted Hide Post
    Yeah, the time of cheaper Colt ARs has passed.

It may return again, but not anytime soon.

posted Hide Post
    To my knowledge, Colt has generally included 20 round magazines with these guns, but magazines, but obviously mags are cheap and plentiful.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by DaBigBR:
    To my knowledge, Colt has generally included 20 round magazines with these guns, but magazines, but obviously mags are cheap and plentiful.

They seem to put 30rd Okays in some and 30rd Gen 2 PMAGs in others.

My 6920 Trooper came with a PMAG.

Glorious SPAM!
    Picture of mbinky
    posted Hide Post
    The last factory Colts I bought were in 2013. My SP6920 had the carry handle and the two 20 round mags in the package with the bore brush and the sling. My 6720 also had the 2 twenty round mags (and the Rodgers stock, which I like). And I use the sling. My 6940P had the Rodgers stock and two Magpul mags, the 7.62 kind. Sold them. I did buy an OEM2 a few years ago. Sold the upper, kept the lower. No accessories were in the box.