SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mid vs Carbine length accessories?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mid vs Carbine length accessories? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Are parts equally available for both gas system lengths?

I have a very standard carbine already- M4 type with fixed front sight and the smaller diameter standard foreend.

For my second rifle I want something different that I can change the setup if I choose. I am considering starting with a PSA barreled upper in mid length with one of the new style free float foreends and no fixed front sight.

Will this limit me very much if I want to change the foreend to something different later? I definitely want something smaller diameter and with one of the two new attachment types.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
What accessories are you thinking of? Stuff fits on both depending on what handguard you get. There are plenty of stuff that still uses picatinny and most stuff has options for keymod and mlok.

Changing the handguard is one of the simpler things to do on the AR. Most will come with a barrel nut that is proprietary to the handguard for installation. Then they make clamp on ones that use a delta ring as well.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Really,two questions. First, are options for mid length foreends more limited? Second, will the PSA brand convert easily to something like a Midwest Industries ?

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Really,two questions. First, are options for mid length foreends more limited?

Are you asking about options for foreends themselves or options for accessories that fit on the foreends?

There are probably more options for midlength gas systems, but really, once you go low-profile, you can put any rail on that you want because even if the rail is longer than the space between the gas block and the upper receiver, the rail goes over the gas block so where the gas block is doesn't matter.

As far as accessories that go on the rail, it doesn't matter unless you're mounting some very long accessory. You get more real estate with a longer rail.

quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:Second, will the PSA brand convert easily to something like a Midwest Industries ?

Most rails come with their own proprietary mounting hardware (which includes a proprietary barrel nut in 95%+ of all foreends). You'd have to swap the barrel nut out to swap the foreend. If you are comfortable swapping bbl nuts, the rest is also easy.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, smaller diameter is all the rage these days. If a company makes such a handguard for a midlength system, it will also make one for a carbine length system.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really only matters for a fore-end/handguard that attaches to a fixed FSP. Free-float rails come in all different lengths so it doesn't matter, they go over the low profile gas block no matter where it is (if the rail is long enough). There are plenty of mid-length handguards as well, so buy a mid-length in confidence!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post