SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Truck Gun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck Gun Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
Considering getting a gun I can leave in the truck. Ill get an under seat lock box for it before leaving it in there all the time. I'm leaning towards an AK-47. But I'm also considering a 10" 300blk pistol. Thoughts?

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Having your SBR stolen would be a bad thing.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I never said sbr. Roll Eyes

Can we stay on topic please?

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77: But I'm also considering a 10" 300blk pistol. Thoughts?

What is the purpose of the weapon? If it's having a handy rifle in case a varmint shows up on rural property then either a lever gun, AK or AR are easy options. If needing something for protection from 2-legged varmints then a handgun might be your best bet for size and accessing the weapon. For me, my truck gun is a 7.5" 300BO pistol when I am traveling in-state. I also conceal carry on the hip when traveling.

What are your state laws for having a loaded weapon in your vehicle? This is something you should consider.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Mine is 300blk.

I already have mags and most itnthe spare parts from my primary guns. Same manual of arms etc.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I think an AR pistol is the best choice. I used to carry a mini14/30 or marlin 30/30 bit the AR Pistol is short, reliable, plenty of ammo, easy to reload and is covered by your ccw in most places.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it matters on your State law and the types of critters and distances you enjoy. I carry a Rem 7615 as its a pump, shoots .223 is mag fed etc. Its forced by law to be unloaded where I live. And it doesn't look tactical so when I carry it nobody thinks anything about it. But I also never go anywhere without a pistol.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
I never said sbr. Roll Eyes

Can we stay on topic please?

I missed the word pistol after reading the first rifle.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I would think a .300 BO pistol would be the best, followed by a 9mm AR Pistol with 10.5 barrel.

The benefit of the .300 BO is obviously, power. The benefit of the 9mm is that it isn't nearly as noisy or flashy in a pistol configuration.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
The 300 makes more sense. I have tons of mags and a stripped lower laying around. I was really wanting an AK though.

Everything I read says a 10" 300 has the same velocity as a 16" AK. This doesn't make sense to me.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
Everything I read says a 10" 300 has the same velocity as a 16" AK. This doesn't make sense to me.
Different calibers, different powders, different burn rates, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You seem set on a semi auto but if you want to consider a bolt gun, the Ruger American Ranch in 300 BLK takes AR mags and has been getting pretty good reviews. At only 36" long it should stow pretty easy and being a bolt gun, is less likely to get you in trouble if you forget it is in the truck and enter into most states (not all, but most).

Ken S.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:
You seem set on a semi auto but if you want to consider a bolt gun, the Ruger American Ranch in 300 BLK takes AR mags and has been getting pretty good reviews. At only 36" long it should stow pretty easy and being a bolt gun, is less likely to get you in trouble if you forget it is in the truck and enter into most states (not all, but most).

Ken S.

Yeah, I'm looking for a semi auto with a ton of loaded mags.

I don't care if the gun looks evil. If I have it out, things have already gone south.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
What about a Mini-14? With a traditional rifle profile it should be easier to fit in your underseat safe with extra magazines.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I like the Mini-14/Mini-30 route. However an AR pistol, Sig Rattler, or new super shorty CZ Scorpion might be a good choice for you. I’ve actually used my UZI Pro SB many times on trips as it’s 11” folded with a 32rd mag and quite accurate at self-defense distances.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't care if the gun looks evil. If I have it out, things have already gone south

I was once in this camp. I used to carry an AR in my truck. Fully equipped. PVS-14, aimpoint, etc. The best of what I would want in a defensive situation. Two events convinced me otherwise.
Some background, I live in a rural and very low crime area. First event. I left my truck parked on an isolated road and met a friend to go look at some trees. When we came back a couple of out of state drug addicts were trying to break in. Now based on the timing of our return they didn't actually accomplish a successful event, but had we been a bit later they might. Conclusion: don't store expensive stuff in your vehicle, you might lose it.
Second event. A women hit a deer with her car. Several of us stopped to assist including the deputy to make sure she's ok. But its clear the deer is badly hurt and nearby and needs to be euthanized. Being local all of us have a gun. We grab them and head off to find and shoot this wounded deer. Which really meant initially that we walked along the edge of the road looking for signs. Everyone but me has a shotgun. The deputy gets several calls relay via 911 about me, not a single call about the guys with a traditional shotgun.
Conclusion: if you want to be less noticed when you might have to have the gun out but not using it get something that isn't an AR. I can think of many similar circumstances.
Thus I've picked a mag fed, pump operated, 5.56, wood stocked, inexpensive gun. But there are many options but mostly I would counsel to not spend a bunch.
FWIW.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ In keeping with the "less noticeable" theme expressed above, I would vote for a lever action rifle. Comparable ballistics with AK /300 BO and ammo is cheap and available. I would invest in better sights and possibly a Moly coat to better resist long term storage in a vehicle in changing weather.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a best all round truck gun would be a SKS, AK, Mini 30, 30-30 Lever rifle, or 44 Magnum Lever rifle. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
food for thought:https://rifleshooter.com/2017/10/steyr-scout-rifle-review-shooting-the-best-truck-gun-ever/

I think the "check engine" light is burned out

Posts: 710 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a truck gun I tend to lean towards something made with wood and blued steel to avoid scaring the muggles and making what lawful authority that may still be around nervous. If we're talking about a breakdown in civil society such as post extreme inclement weather than walking or driving around like you’re prepared to invade a small third world country may be a little too conspicuous. A good ol' boy with his hog gun will be less obvious then a guy in FDE clothing and loaded down with mags and a three-day assault pack.

I would either suggest a pawn store rescue Marlin 336 or a Ruger Ranch Rifle.

I made the same suggestion to a buddy heading down to Houston last year for the same reason.

That and because a pawn store rescued 336 can be had locally for ~$325.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post