SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M4 Problem-- Solved--- Still Open For Q&A
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M4 Problem-- Solved--- Still Open For Q&A Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by awa762:
I'm reading between the lines here that it probably isn't a good idea to keep an AR chambered with a round for the long term? I.e., in general, is this a problem or issue?

I can’t see why it would be a problem just by itself.

One thing to be concerned about is exposure of the round to solvents or lubes that are in the chamber or on the bolt face, but that’s a separate issue. The safety aspect of the practice is also a separate issue, but it’s the reason I don’t keep rifles with rounds chambered. There are ways to minimize the dangers of doing that, but it’s one of those things that can be dangerous and there is seldom a good reason to do it.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47343 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by awa762:
I'm reading between the lines here that it probably isn't a good idea to keep an AR chambered with a round for the long term? I.e., in general, is this a problem or issue?

I can’t see why it would be a problem just by itself.

I would agree with this. I leave at least one pistol chambered for months at a time and have yet to have an issue, and it shouldn't be any different in a rifle. The only issue i see is if the weapon isn't in a fairly stable climate. The gun under my bed is in a far different environment than a truck gun would be. Fairly large changes in temp and humidity will cause condensation in the chamber, and it's the moisture that causes the problems.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I leave at least one pistol chambered for months at a time and have yet to have an issue, and it shouldn't be any different in a rifle.

Good point.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47343 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm lost on this discussion. An aftermarket bolt failed in some odd way. I've AR's with chambered rounds for YEARS and never had an issue. And of course the TM for an AR has no specific discussion about this. Buy aftermarket stuff and suffer the consequences.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10958 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm also lost. How do we know it was a result of the NiB coating and not something else? I see correlation here with both rifles, but not necessarily causation on the part of the NiB. Could the plating have been applied wrong from Day 1? You don't say how many rounds you'd shit through these rifles previously.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Were you using Froglube or Fireclean by chance? Two shit lubes that will glue up your gun if it sits for a year or longer.

If these are your go to rifles, sell off the BCG groups you have and get yourself some nice BCM BCG's for your BCM uppers. Those wont give you any problems.

Posts: 6658 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Only Slick 2000 Light and Heavy for the inside and Ballistol for the outside.

The same or our other M4s with no problems at all for over 1500 rounds each. I have switched out extractor springs in both of these. Never a failure, to repeat my self.They both have Black Rain BCGs in them.I checked the finish and they are perfect.

The two problem M4s have less than 500 rounds each with a Keis Bolt Carrier and Fail Zero bolts This failure to eject was the first problem ever for them.

As soon as I can, by Thurs. the 22nd at the latest, I will switch out the bolts and get to the range. I have yet to contact Fail Zero but that will get done this week also.
Personal life, including new rehab modality, and increased client appointments is getting in the way.
I cannot wait to hit 75 when I retire. At least partially 'cause I love the work and it is very physical.

I hope that I have answered all the qustions and thank you all for your help, interest, and beatings. Wink

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have decided, after much research, to go with WMD for my replacement bolts.

Now, I need to reach a resolution with Fail Zero.
I am certain that it will work out.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've got 3 fail zero BCG's.

I've seen two failures (broken parts) online, but this is the first I've heard of plating issues.

I'm beginning to get concerned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13937 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
AK-- we really are only guessing as to the cause. I , personally, am sticking with the cartridge in place for 4-5 months against the facing. If you have backup bolts and other spare parts, I would not be too concerned. Let's wait to hear from Fail Zero.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely eager to hear what they have to say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13937 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does your extractor have one of these?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle...-ring-prod32504.aspx

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yes. La Rue

Banned
posted Hide Post
Spoke with Fail Zero today. Told them the entire problem with all details included.
1- They are sending return info.
2- Will either fix or exchange for new bolts and return to me USPS priority Mail.
That simple.

Tara, the CS person was a delight and suggested the return as opposed to trying to repair with a tech on the phone.

Banned
posted Hide Post
As soon as I get them back, I will test them if they have been repaired or refurbished. I do nor think there is a need to test them if they are new exchanges, but I will.

Banned
posted Hide Post
Got two brand new in packaging Fail Zero Bolts. They are now wearing a Logo of FZ.

I wrote them back and thanked tem CS people profusely.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
I do nor think there is a need to test them if they are new exchanges, but I will.

I would.

But good on them for the good service.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

posted Hide Post
Galvanic corrosion of the nickel and brass, maybe? A year is a long time to sit, and if there's moisture it can act as a bridge.

After this, the extractor could have buildup on it.

Posts: 795 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Put 100 rounds through each M4 and both were flawless in every respect. Maybe it was psychsematic but, they both also seemed to run smoother.