SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do SCARS get dirty? After 300 rounds, hardly any carbon to be found.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do SCARS get dirty? After 300 rounds, hardly any carbon to be found. Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted
Well, I'm a happy camper. I'm still getting acquainted with my SCAR-17. I figured I'd better clean it because I've put 300 rounds through it since I gave it its initial cleaning and lubing. All I shot through it thus far has been Lake City M80 surplus, and I figured by now it could use a cleaning.

Other than the bit of carbon that came out of the barrel, there was hardly any other carbon, grit, or other dirt to be found. Knowing what my AR-15's chamber and bolt carrier looks like after a similar round count, I was pleasantly surprised. I don't need a SCAR-16, do I? That would just be silly, wouldn't it?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Well, I'm a happy camper. I'm still getting acquainted with my SCAR-17. I don't need a SCAR-16, do I? That would just be silly, wouldn't it?

Nope !

Not silly at all ! Big Grin

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 300 rounds of surplus I would probably undo the gas regulator, punch out the piston, clean and inspect.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motoboy:
At 300 rounds of surplus I would probably undo the gas regulator, punch out the piston, clean and inspect.

I did! I figured if I was going to find some grime, that would be a likely place. There was hardly anything there, and it all wiped off with a clean cloth. Remarkable.

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Well, I'm a happy camper. I'm still getting acquainted with my SCAR-17. I don't need a SCAR-16, do I? That would just be silly, wouldn't it?

Nope !

Not silly at all ! Big Grin

Ohhhh, fiddlesticks! If I get a 16 in black, Mrs. ShneaSIG won't be able to tell the difference, right?

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

Unless Mrs. ShneaSIG is very firearms savvy she will not have a clue ! Roll Eyes

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^^^

Unless Mrs. ShneaSIG is very firearms savvy she will not have a clue ! Roll Eyes

Except I might then have to explain why I have 2 of the same gun...

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
quote:

This is where it does get dirty and both of mine, the 16 and the 17, have had instances when gas regulator couldn't be turned from one position to another.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
^^^^^^^^

Except I might then have to explain why I have 2 of the same gun...

Only if she sees both of them at the same time. Smile

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The SCARs, being short stroke piston guns, stay very clean when unsuppressed.

Even suppressed and dirty, they function with minimal attention.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I dearly love my RRA AR-15, but, man, this experience has proven a revelation. I've never seen my AR choke, but the SCAR system just scored some more major points with me. Are all piston guns like this?

-ShneaSIG

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
In general piston weapons are cleaner than a Direct Impingement, since gases aren't making their way directly into the BCG.

For ARs, the conventional wisdom seems to be the additional weight of the piston system isn't worth the trade off of a cleaner weapon. Plus the DI AR has been around forever.

Obviously the SCAR was designed as a piston gun and I've found them extremely reliable with minimal MX or lube. I've gone 700rds suppressed with my 17 over 6 months with maybe 1-2 lubes of the bolt and no cleaning. The weapon was so direct the gas regulator was stuck on suppressed, it took a wrench to turn it / remove it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are all piston guns like this?

The piston rifles I've shot are quite easy to clean compared to DI rifles, especially when suppressed. Heat and carbon aren't transferred to the BCG like in a DI rifle. Lube lasts a lot longer in a piston BCG.

Most people won't experience a difference in shooting DI and piston rifles of the same configuration and weight. However, when shooting from barriers and improvised positions, I find it easier to keep the sights on target throughout the recoil process with a DI gun. It's a very fine distinction here, but the DI rifles seem to recoil slightly slower and more smoothly. Again, the average shooter from a solid position on a bench or bipod will not notice this. IMO this is why the most accurate ARs used for the most demanding precision competitions are DI.

Nevertheless, it sure is nice to come back from a high-volume day of shooting and clean the BCG of a piston rifle with almost no effort.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Nevertheless, it sure is nice to come back from a high-volume day of shooting and clean the BCG of a piston rifle with almost no effort.

Bingo. I wanted a rock 'n rollin battle rifle, and, by god, that's what I've got here.

I think I'm most pleased because I wanted the SCAR in part because of it's reputation for reliability and ruggedness. Seeing and experiencing one facet of how it earns that reputation and - in this regard - seems to lives up to the hype is gratifying.

Quick! Somebody complain about the reciprocating charging handle before it's too late! Razz

-ShneaSIG

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ohhhh, fiddlesticks! If I get a 16 in black, Mrs. ShneaSIG won't be able to tell the difference, right?

That's why I have multiples of the same pistol but in different calibers. Just don't have them out at the same time. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quick! Somebody complain about the reciprocating charging handle before it's too late! Razz

For those of us who actually push our rifles and ourselves in competition, the reciprocating charging handle can be an issue. In almost every carbine/precision semi-auto match I've shot, there's an improvised shooting position from which the SCAR's reciprocating charging handle would mess with stability and position. Could be a shot from a wood barrier, a barrel, bales of hay, a tree branch, a tank trap, a fence gate, a slot between boulders, or whatever else the match director uses to play mind games.

Sure, not everyone shoots PRS-type matches, but some of us do.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
lemme borrow it for a few days....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Fritz! There's the charging handle hate I was hoping for! Wink

Kevin - not a chance. Childhood wasn't all that long ago, and I still remember that if I want to keep my nice things in nice condition, then I shouldn't let you put your grubby mitts on them. Razz

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
quote:

That's not hate, just reality. It's something you will experience on your own, should you compete in PRS-type events with a SCAR.

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

That's not hate, just reality. It's something you will experience on your own, should you compete in PRS-type events with a SCAR.

I kid, Fritz, I kid!

I understand the issue. Thus far it's been a non-factor for me.

I understand there's a foldable after-market charging handle which might mitigate the problem. I haven't had a need to try it.

I'm a righty, and I like to keep the charging handle on the left side. Short of me having to shoot left handed while laying on my left side, I have a tough time visualizing a situation where I'd run into an issue with the charging handle.

Those PRS matches look like a great bit of fun. I'd love to try one some day and embarrass myself.

-ShneaSIG