SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Steyr Aug A3 USA
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr Aug A3 USA Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Still have not been able to drink the kool-aid on a A3. When I figure the cost of the rifle 17+ and a decent red dot, $400, I just can't justify spending $2100 and the cost of original mags which might place me in the $2300 range.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blasto:
Still have not been able to drink the kool-aid on a A3.

Why are people who own AUGs "drinking kool-aid?"

I'd ask that such derision be reserved for people who insist that only <insert gun model/brand here> is the best, and nothing else can measure up. Such people also cannot stomach any criticism of their chosen weapon. See also "Fanboi."

I don't think anyone here has "drank the kool-aid" as to Steyr or the AUG. But let's be honest, it is a well proven weapon here in 2018.

We all know where "drinking the kool-aid" comes from, right? It is a reference to a doomsday cult and mass suicide.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, what rail is on top of that AUG? I’ve seen longer top rails, but haven’t seen one with the lightening cutouts over the part the overhangs the barrel.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an A3 at home, lacking optics at the moment. There are a few nuances that stand to be improved about them, but it's a fine carbine. The trigger isn't great, and the op handle really needs aftermarket to offset to keep from cracking knuckles on optics. It's very well designed, though.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I apologize if I offended anyone with what might have been a poor choice of words. What I meant to say is with today's markets, 2K+ can buy you several items instead of just one.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
OP, what rail is on top of that AUG? I’ve seen longer top rails, but haven’t seen one with the lightening cutouts over the part the overhangs the barrel.

The rail is a 2020 Precision Inc. TR-35A. The guy who had it before me put everything on it. The BUIS and Flasher hider/QD suppressor mount are Yankee Hill's. The scope is a Burris M-TAC 1-4 power plus mount.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The price of the AUG has stayed pretty static over time. Even now with US made ones, they cost about what they always have, time and ban-era taken into consideration.

Due mainly to Steyrs overall quality, and the general share of the market that any bullpup is likely to enjoy.

I still have the Scout that I bought years ago, before it was cool, and if you find a Cooper package, those are about the same price as well.

Of course there are cheaper options, but it's hard to argue they are of the same quality.

There are also choices that are even more expensive.

It is nice that the AR is so ubiquitous that it is so cheap. It's cheap because so many companies can build them and market them. Once the patents run out on the AUG.... Mmmm we probably won't see cheaper AUG copies.

I wouldn't consider other bullpup options particularly "inexpensive," while they are indeed cheaper than the AUG. I'm very happy with the RFB myself.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They tried a cheaper AUG copy called the MSAR. It didn’t work out.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Took the Aug A3 out this last weekend for some informal familiarizing/ plinking session. Used the issued Steyr mag and 9 bought Magpul made Aug mags. Went out to the Sycamore Creek area in Tonto National Forest. Shot at 50 to 75 yards using steel challange targets and paper bullseye targets. M-TAC scope was spot on. Trigger was heavy but broke crisp and clean. The AUG ate everything I fed it from 55gr to 62 gr until I got to some Colt branded 62gr zinc plated cartridges made by Barnual, Russia. With the Zinc plated rounds the Aug became a jamamatic, constant stove pipes, failure to eject and short stroking. Once I got back to brass cases everything smoothed out and became reliable again. Loved the smooth handling and compactness of the Aug. Comparing it with the Tavor I'd say it was neck to neck with handling and manuverability. As for trigger Pull the stock Tavor has it all over the Aug. Over all I like the Aug. Steyr needs to get off their ass and get on board with a 300 Blkout conversion. What would it take? Just another barrel, maybe a modified gas plug head and heavier recoil springs I would believe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SFCUSARET,

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still have not been able to drink the kool-aid on a A3. When I figure the cost of the rifle 17+ and a decent red dot, $400, I just can't justify spending $2100 and the cost of original mags which might place me in the $2300 range.

Did not drink the Kool-Aid. Got a real good deal on the Aug. Bought it with everything on it via a consignment estate sale through Bear Arms in Scottsdale for a grand total of $1,400. Only extra was approx $180 for the nine Mapul mags. The deals are out there if you buy pre-owned and know what you are looking at.

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
they're just weird looking guns to me. But I am really, really liking the look of the OP's gun. Something about it seems just different enough...

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
Did not drink the Kool-Aid. Got a real good deal on the Aug. Bought it with everything on it via a consignment estate sale through Bear Arms in Scottsdale for a grand total of $1,400. Only extra was approx $180 for the nine Mapul mags. The deals are out there if you buy pre-owned and know what you are looking at.

That's a heck of a deal.

quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
they're just weird looking guns to me. But I am really, really liking the look of the OP's gun. Something about it seems just different enough...

They are weird looking, but really comfortable.

The bullpup idea has been around a while. Here is one designed by Mr. Garand in 1945:

Arc.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
The really appealing thing with the AUG is the SBR handling characteristics with the ballistics of a full length barrel.

It would be awesome to have a 16" barreled AUG as a host for my suppressor.

AUGs have a well earned reputation for incredible durability too.

I could deal with the mag changes methinks. Sure it might take an extra second or two, but it isn't that big of a difference.

I would want a NATO stock just because of the pile of AR mags I am sitting on.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
They tried a cheaper AUG copy called the MSAR. It didn’t work out.

The TPD AXR was a super high quality copy of the AUG. Steyr coming back to market pretty much put them under. But it was a very fine Aug Clone, superior to the original in several ways........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I apologize if I offended anyone with what might have been a poor choice of words. What I meant to say is with today's markets, 2K+ can buy you several items instead of just one.

I didn't pay close to two grand for mine.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
If I had the money, I’d drink the shit out of the AUG koolaid.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah I've come close to drinking the AUG koolaid, but it just hasn't worked out (yet). Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post