SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My 300blk AR upper has problems.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 300blk AR upper has problems. Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
I bought a used upper from a local classifieds. The trouble with that is there is no way to function check in a parking lot. When I got it home I installed it on a lower that I know functions properly. When I chambered the first round, it did not go fully into battery. I forward assisted it in. Uh oh.... Took it apart, inspected and re-lubed. Chambered again and it went fully in but slower than it should. Uh oh again.

Took it out shooting today and I could only fire on round at a time. I had to manually cycle with the charging handle. Not only that, but it had a hard time stripping the next round from the mag. I had to sling shot twice per round. Put the lower on another 300blk upper and it functioned as it should with the same mag.I did not swap BCGs though. Probably should have to eliminate the possibility.

So my theory is that the chamber is out of spec and possibly the buffer spring that came with the upper is not strong enough to strip the next round for some reason. It did better as the mag emptied.

What say you?

Edit: Just swapped buffer springs and it strips off fine. Chamber is still tight though.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
The trouble with that is there is no way to function check in a parking lot.

Sure you can, but wear hearing pro, they're way loud in parking lots. And it's very surprising. When I bought a Draco mini and tested it in the driveway, the guy was surprised as shit!

just kidding, don't do that.

Was it an assembled upper, or did the guy build it himself? Pistol length gas I assume?

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Sounds like buffer/recoil spring. Buy another and start there. I’ll bet the seller just grabbed a 556 spring and threw it in with the package.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I will swap in a new spring. Would that also have to do with the bolt being unable to fully extract a spent casing?

I think the seller said he bought it built. Pistol length on my SBR lower.

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of thoughts:

1. The buffer spring is in the lower. If the lower works with your other uppers.... it wouldn't be high on my list of suspects.

2. The first thing that I would do is to be absolutely sure that the chamber is clean . Make sure there is no residue from shooting a bunch of Wolf or Tula lacquered cases. Is the area where the locking lugs clear of debris?

3. If you've done the above with no luck.... I'd see how a different bolt control fits. Do the bolts look the same dimensions ?

4> Please let us know how you eventually fix this issue....so we can all learn !

Thanks, mike

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Sometime this weekend I'll do a side x side comparison with one of my 300 blk uppers that does work well.

"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I bought a used, no name, home built, 300blk carbine from my local LGS.
Couldn’t get more than two or three rounds down range w/o a double feed. I swapped the BCG out with one of my other AR’s and it worked fine. The troublesome BCG worked fine in my 223/5.56 rifles.
And I had tried different mags, buffer spring, etc.
I know you don’t really have this option, but my LGS made good on the BCG.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Who makes the barrel? Will a cartridge freely drop in the chamber by hand? How long is the barrel? What length gas system?

Scrub the heck out of the chamber when cleaning it.

If all else fails, check the gas tube. Blackout is dirty.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree....especially if a suppressor was used !! Smile

quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
Who makes the barrel? Will a cartridge freely drop in the chamber by hand? How long is the barrel? What length gas system?

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:

A round does not slip easily into the chamber. In fact, I had to morter it out. My other ARs don't do that.

posted Hide Post
Sounds like either a small chamber or a rough chamber or a dirty chamber.

Don't waste your money on parts until you're sure that barrel and chamber is clean ..really clean ! Soak that baby in your favorite solvent ! Smile mike

They make a bronze chamber brush for 556. I don't know about 300 BO , but a 556 chamber brush wouldn't do any harm,...it seems to me.

posted Hide Post
Status report ??

posted Hide Post
First off I did not see rather you posted on the type of ammunition, sub - supersonic ammunition, reloads or factory. Second buy a case check gauge and check your ammunition first. If you are rolling your own, odds are that the length and shoulder are too long. Second are you shooting blkout ammo or did you get a box of variant ammo. Remember that you will most likely have to re-spring and buffer to get the blackout to run on your lower. and you may also have to do it again to run sub verses supersonic ammunition. Just my two cents, Big

Posts: 254 | Registered: October 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I can almost guarantee that you need to O ring the BCG. This happened to my 300 blackout build. It would fire one shot, and not go to battery fully.

I O ringed the BCG and 0 failures since.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd start by cleaning the upper, especially the chamber. Then I'd visually inspect every part for wear, tear and tightness.

Given your complaint of a tight chamber, I would concur with the above recommendation to gauge the chamber and bolt combo. I assume the bolt came with the upper. Also check that the gas tube is properly aligned, the gas key is tight, and the extractor claw is in good condition. I'd also check and see what spring and insert the extractor has in it.

What buffer is in the lower you are using?
What do the barrel markings say?

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Model 1 sales "300 Fireball" barrels have REALLY short throats, shorter than any of the 8 or 10 rifles and pistols I've owned in various branded 300/221's.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post