SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    BCM charging handles dragging in Aero Precision M4E1 upper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BCM charging handles dragging in Aero Precision M4E1 upper Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Just what the title says...put a new ambi BCM charging handle in my new upper, it was a tight, tight fit. Catch doesn't disengage smoothly and sounds like it drags horribly. Swapped the new CH out for a used on from another AR. This was one of those medium latch Gunfighter non-ambi ones. Same thing. BCG moves freely, so I'm hoping the receiver isn't somehow out of spec.

Any ideas before I go shopping for another CH?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
One of the first things I did with the many ARs I've owned is replaced the standard charging handle with a BCM. In fact, I only used BCM. In many cases they were a bit tight and gritty. I put a light coat of TW25B grease in the charging handle channel and that smoothed it out.

None of the BCM handles were ever problematic. All functioned perfectly.

If it bothers you, you may want to put some light oil on it and work it back an forth in the upper until it smooths out a little.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
If it bothers you, you may want to put some light oil on it and work it back an forth in the upper until it smooths out a little.

This. I've had a couple uppers whose charging handles dragged. Slap some oil on it. Work the charging handle a few dozen times. Roll on.

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
This is the first one I've had that does it. Feels almost like I have to push forward on the handle to get the catch to disengage.

I'll give the grease a shot though, thanks!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
One of the first things I did with the many ARs I've owned is replaced the standard charging handle with a BCM. In fact, I only used BCM. In many cases they were a bit tight and gritty. I put a light coat of TW25B grease in the charging handle channel and that smoothed it out.

None of the BCM handles were ever problematic. All functioned perfectly.

This right here.

I've always used Slide Glide, but regardless, lubricate the CH. Work it back and forth. Wipe it, lube it again. Repeat as needed.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Radian Raptors and Raptor LT's fit all 4 Aero uppers I have (two M4E1 thereaded, one mil spec, one mil spec without forward assist), as do Geissele Super Charings Handles. Haven't tried BCM.

Interestingly, some Geissele SSA triggers I planned to use in two Aero M4E1 lowers had drag on the hammers - you could feel them binding up somehow and if thumbed down they would not travel all the way. Newer SSA-E and SSP worked fine, so I converted over to SSA-E's.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post