SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Simple optic for Marlin Model 60 (dovetail)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simple optic for Marlin Model 60 (dovetail) Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I'd like to get a simple red/green dot optic for my Marlin Model 60 for my son to use while plinking. He's used open sights on a bolt-action and an old Winchester pump, and I'd like this to be an option. I got it new in the 90s and have put tens of thousands of rounds through it.

I've got a BSA in my Amazon cart right now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Any other suggestions before I purchase it? Really looking for something simple and inexpensive. No magnification needed, just for plinking cans and such. But I want it to fit on the dovetail without adding rings.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Aren't you going to need a picatinny rail to install that optic on a firearm?

For a .22 rifle dovetail, you 're going to need an adapter of some kind to install an optical sight since you don't want to install rings.

Here is one option:

UTG snap-in rail adapter.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll need the above, or an optic with integral 3/8" mount, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/NcStar-...il-DP3/dp/B00150WIJ0

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Not really what you described but Tech Sights is what I put on mine.

https://www.amazon.com/Tech-SI...zo81caIcL&ref=plSrch

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simple, cheap, and works pretty dang well. I have one of these for my 795.
https://www.amazon.com/Simmons...rds=simmons+4x+scope

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
That BSA is supposed to have the correct size rail, switchable.

But I think I may go with the peep sight linked above. That will probably be a more satisfactory solution for now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chongosuerte,

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Tech Sights are an excellent addition.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vortex make some nice red dots for good prices. Also have lifetime warranty.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
It seems like all the options are much higher than the typical open sights ... he may be lucky to get a chin weld

or have you got a cheek-riser lined up too?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post