SIGforum
Is anybody here playing with the 6.5-300 weatherby yet???

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4800029534

January 09, 2018, 04:20 PM
newmexican
Is anybody here playing with the 6.5-300 weatherby yet???
Hello,

My dad is a huge Weatherby fan, I am too but nowhere near his level. I see now the 6.5-300wby is available in a few of the Vanguard models and the Vanguard Wilderness is available for around 750.00 which is ~ a thousand dollars less than a MKV.

My dad is recently retired so I'm thinking of getting him one as a gift, he still hunts elk and white tails so I think he would be thrilled with one of these, he's been talking about one a lot lately.

Has anybody here had the chance to get into this cartridge yet?

Thanks!!!
January 09, 2018, 04:23 PM
WARPIG602
Way too niche for me.....and I like the oddball calibers

January 09, 2018, 05:09 PM
rburg
Not me. I'm still "playing" with their 1950s design of the .30-378. It requires a whole bunch of slow burning powder per shot. The up side is its fun and drives anyone within earshot crazy every time you fire it. I see your experiment to be similar. Except a little less.

On the up side, my rifle came with a muzzle brake installed. It has the delightful property of increasing noise to the shooter and anyone dumb enough to be standing along side. It does reduce recoil to about .30-06 or .308 levels. Want the range all to yourself? Big Grin Fire a few warm up rounds and watch the pests around you vanish. The .300 Weatherby has a similar result. Folks around you tend to find something else to spend their time doing other than becoming deaf.

If you want to have a 2nd gift to go along with the rifle, buy him a good set of ear muffs. The very best you can find. Don't scrimp. Big Grin

Unhappy ammo seeker
January 09, 2018, 05:16 PM
newmexican
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Not me. I'm still "playing" with their 1950s design of the .30-378. It requires a whole bunch of slow burning powder per shot. The up side is its fun and drives anyone within earshot crazy every time you fire it. I see your experiment to be similar. Except a little less.

On the up side, my rifle came with a muzzle brake installed. It has the delightful property of increasing noise to the shooter and anyone dumb enough to be standing along side. It does reduce recoil to about .30-06 or .308 levels. Want the range all to yourself? Big Grin Fire a few warm up rounds and watch the pests around you vanish. The .300 Weatherby has a similar result. Folks around you tend to find something else to spend their time doing other than becoming deaf.

If you want to have a 2nd gift to go along with the rifle, buy him a good set of ear muffs. The very best you can find. Don't scrimp. Big Grin

Yup, we shoot a fair bit of weatherby stuff so we have the ear protection sorted out. Our 378wby had a muzzle brake and that thing is loud.

I've been waiting awhile for the verdict on the 6.5-300 and if its worth it for general hunting uses out west but there still isn't a ton of reports out there.

The vanguard Wilderness is a step up from the standard vanguard with a b&c stock, fluted 26" barrel, a bit lighter, good for him to carry while he hikes around NM elk hunting elevations ~6-8k thousand feet.

He has a higher end Leupold scope (I think a vx6) that he won in a gun show raffle just sitting around waiting for a good home and he has access to a private range that has steel out to 700yds which is more than adequate for him.