SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    5R vs 4 Groove vs 6 Groove, which is better, if any
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5R vs 4 Groove vs 6 Groove, which is better, if any Login/Join 
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted
All -- I am ordering a pre fit barrel for my Savage 10. I am a frugal plinker, but I like accuracy and precision, out to 1000 yards. Do you recommend I go with 5R or 6 groove or 4 groove rifling, or, all things being equal (quality, chambering, twist rate, steel, profile, length, etc), is there no difference as far as accuracy? Thank you. Tom

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 3 groove Pac Nor does just fine.
Overall quality is more important than the number of grooves. Unfortunately the only ready way to determine quality is by user reports, you can't look at one and say it is accurate.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot out cut rifle barrels with 4,5,6 grooves. No perceivable difference in accuracy.

Some gunsmith argue a even number of grooves, 4/6, will yield a more concentric chamber. Flutes of the reamer are always supported, not dropping into a groove. They can measure/see it with a gauge as the chamber is being cut. Once again though, no difference on target that I can shoot.

Shot out, Kreiger, Bartlien, Chanlynn, HawkHill, Rock Creek, Brux barrels. All have been good. SLIGHT edge to the HawkHills.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Thank you both! That puts my mind at ease.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience, the biggest difference I have noticed is ease of cleaning. My 5R barrels seem to come clean much quicker.

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Thank you tenmm.

posted Hide Post
I'd wait for fritz, Nikon user or some of our accuracy mavens to chime in before you dropped the cash.

I don't shoot well enough to notice a difference.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
I'd wait for fritz, Nikon user or some of our accuracy mavens to chime in before you dropped the cash.

Thanks for the thoughts, but offgrid is more qualified from personal experience in this matter. He has installed and shot out way more barrels than I; he shoots a bolt gun with a chambering that's more accurate than mine; and given similar platforms to shoot from, the smart money is on offgrid for more precise shooting. Alpine has not yet weighed in on barrels, but put him in the same category.

The best example I have is Jacob Bynum's personal rifle that he loans out at Rifles Only courses. It's an Accuracy International AW in .308. I've shot it a few times. Memory fades a bit over time, but a few years ago I recall it was on its 17th or 18th barrel, with over 100k rounds fired. Probably worn just about every major match-grade barrel on the market. Jacob states that the rifle has been really accurate with every barrel brand plumbed to the chassis.

I've only had 5R barrels on my precision bolt guns. They work fine. My AR barrels have both 4 and 6 groove barrels. They work fine, too.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Thank you fritz.