SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who has the Savage hog hunter 308?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has the Savage hog hunter 308? Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have experience with it? I'm looking a for a replacement for the trusty 22. It seems to have everything I'm looking for: Compact, iron sights, threaded bbl, and flush mag. I considered the ruger ranch in. 300blk, but think I prefer a larger cartridge, and the ruger didn't have iron sights.

Experiences or alternative recommendations?

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't own one but I actually shot one today at a local turkey shoot and I really liked it. I just shot it 3 times with irons at 100yds and now I want to buy one.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I bought a used one about a month ago. I always wanted a handy 308 with open sights. The green stock grows on you. I like it.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I have one and bought it for all the reasons you are looking at, tho after adding a heavy aftermarket stock and scope, I decided I no longer needed a muzzle brake as the extra weight soaked up enough of the recoil to satisfy me. It’s hard hitting at 300 yards, the furthest I’ve had it out to. The scope has quick release rings so the irons are available in about 4 seconds. I’m considering another one in .223.

Here it is during one of the first times I shot it.

Here it is as she looks today.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kgray01
posted Hide Post
Bought mine last year to use as a brush/tree stand gun. It does everything I've asked, I can carry it one handed, muzzle down and doesn't drag, AND I've knocked down 3 bucks (longest range 100 yd, shortest 30).

1 Sam. 15:28

Posts: 313 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
LGS here has one on GunBroker in 223 and one in 338mag...they look like a great gun

First thing I thought when I picked one up was, WOW that's a heavy barrel, then I realized it was 223

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
My regular guy has them.

Savage Hog Hunter

I've had a few Savages, and hold them in high regard, but I haven't tried one of these yet.

ETA: No association with the linked dealer other than he's my 'local' shop.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Great no frills rifle. Blind magazine so it won't drop while hunting. If you have a suppressor it has a barrel is thick enough that it won't flex much and heavy enough to chill the .308 recoil.

It comes with a green thing that looks like a stock is where you shoulder goes...it has quite a bit of flex in the forend and is something you will talk about replacing. Despite this it shoots well.

The Ruger has feed issues with poor aftermarket support, but is almost a pound lighter and four inches shorter, the two don't compare well they are pretty different.

Mossberg MVP in .308 takes 20 round mags. Which is kewl! That might be an alternative, higher price point.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post