Picture of dwd1985
posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4455 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
1) you meena Beretta 1301....benelli is another story
2) beretta just announced a slightly upgraded 1301 hence the low price on the current in stock one you quoted.
3)I have never shot the 1301 but if you google you will find there was one small problem that was fixable. I have owned a SPX, it was great and did just what I wanted it to for the money.
4) I would guess the beretta is slightly nicer if you do your research and are comfortable making a small tweak to fix the current issue you might consider the nice discounted price on the current gen a steal. Other wise the SPX is a solid value. The next gen 1301 is going run more like 800-1k I believe.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I have no personal experience but a well known trainer told me mossberg autos rarely finish his course.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
1) you meena Beretta 1301....benelli is another story
2) beretta just announced a slightly upgraded 1301 hence the low price on the current in stock one you quoted.
3)I have never shot the 1301 but if you google you will find there was one small problem that was fixable. I have owned a SPX, it was great and did just what I wanted it to for the money.
4) I would guess the beretta is slightly nicer if you do your research and are comfortable making a small tweak to fix the current issue you might consider the nice discounted price on the current gen a steal. Other wise the SPX is a solid value. The next gen 1301 is going run more like 800-1k I believe.

Oh wait....was just thinking about getting a 1301 Tactical, very interested in getting some info on the mentioned slight upgrade...that way I can decide current model or wait for upgraded model. Eek

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks SRO25, yes I did see the LG links with mention regarding the shroud, MP stock adapter, shell carrier, optic mount, but a new Gen2 I did not. I'd be surprised if they addressed all of the above...that would be awesome...including somewhere to mount a light.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Beretta and it ain't even a contest.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Beretta also makes a bolt release shroud for the 1301 and it’s only $9.50. http://www.berettausa.com/en-u...-shroud-kit/eu00074/

I have a 1301 and it’s great. Even shoots low recoil loads without issue.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A friend who is a talented machinist had a 930 for a brief period of time. He told me that in his opinion it was a pretty junky shotgun.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:

Beretta also makes a bolt release shroud for the 1301 and it’s only $9.50. http://www.berettausa.com/en-u...-shroud-kit/eu00074/

I have a 1301 and it’s great. Even shoots low recoil loads without issue.

Just asking, do you have a light mounted, if so, pressure switch or ?

Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I had an 930 SPX, had about 1k rounds of all sorts of rounds thru it with no problems what so ever... I did upgrade to a Benelli M2 thou because I found a good price on one.The early 930s had issues which were corrected on later gens. Have no clue on the 1301 thou.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:

Just asking, do you have a light mounted, if so, pressure switch or ?

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
This is the mag extension, that comes with the rail for a light and QD swivel.

https://nordiccomp.com/categor...l-mxt-extension-kit/

Also I would recommend any Beretta or Benelli over any other shotgun.

Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I have the 930 JM Pro in the 24” version. I really enjoy it and those who shoot it do as well. I’ve been running weak 2 3/4” weak field loads and do experience a failure to load occasionally as in once every hundred shells. I’ve only got 300 rounds through it and when I run out of the existing shells I have I’ll up the power load and see if it resolves the issue. Even though it hasn’t been 100% I still recommend the 930 as I believe my issue is due to ammo selection.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
A friend who is a talented machinist had a 930 for a brief period of time. He told me that in his opinion it was a pretty junky shotgun.

I had one and that's my opinion of it as well. Mine would not run on reduced load anything no matter what I tried. I finally just gave up and sold it.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
I have one of the first generation 930's, had to send it back to Mossberg twice for failure to feed and mag tube issues. It has been fine since but honestly I do not trust it at this point. It sits at the back of my safe taking up room.

Posts: 672 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Interesting to hear about the problems with the 930; I've two buddies that have them; one has owned his for years. The only hiccup he's had is with the commonly known forearm retainer breakage issue, which Mossberg considers a wear item. He's got several thousand rounds through his 930 and other than the retainer regularly crumbling to little pieces after every few hundred shells when he takes his shotgun down for cleaning, it continues to run and run and run. I've shot it on several occasions and while I like the balance and smoothness of my Vinci more, his Mossberg's no slouch. The other 930 is one that I sold from our shop inventory. Its owner (whose been a longtime friend) has put 600 to 700 rounds through it by now (just over three months time plus through a training course down in Arizona back in November), and has nothing but glowing things to say about it. He too knows about the relatively fragile retainer but his original has yet to start the inevitable cracking. However to mitigate the issue he called Mossberg CS and ask for them to send a few of those retainer rings...and they actually did without asking for payment in return.

As for the 1301: I like this little fellow. We've sold quite a few over the years and our customers who've bought them generally have great things to say about the gun. I've shot it on a couple of occasions and both times it did fine without any hint of underlying problems. One was a relatively new customer gun, the other was a sample with an unknown number of shells already through it. Hadn't heard of the bolt release mag dump issue before, but it might explain a problem reported by another customer regarding his 1301 that he bought NIB online and transferred in through our shop. He was vague on the details but he did say he was having "feeding issues" with his Beretta.

As for Benellis; the owner of the first 930 I wrote about above also owns an M2. More than once the goddamned shell elevator on his gun has taken a chunk of flesh out of my thumb. And like all Benellis of that generation of design, that elevator has that peculiar tendency of locking in the up position if the bolt is charged too slow or weird or whatever. When this happens the stupid gun can't send the bolt into battery. Even the new SBE III still does this, where the only way to clear the elevator is to hang on to the charging handle with one hand and use the other and reach into the ejection port and push the stupid elevator out of the way. At least Benelli fixed it on the Vinci series, even if my shotgun can't cycle to save itself with light target loads.

All of them have their quirks and foibles and annoyances. It just comes down to which ones you can tolerate the most.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The entire “problem” on the Beretta 1301 is overrated IMHO and can be solved with a simple $10 part from Beretta. I think if people are letting having to maybe buy a cheap part preventing them from getting a 1301, then they’re missing out.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
And like all Benellis of that generation of design, that elevator has that peculiar tendency of locking in the up position if the bolt is charged too slow or weird or whatever. When this happens the stupid gun can't send the bolt into battery. Even the new SBE III still does this, where the only way to clear the elevator is to hang on to the charging handle with one hand and use the other and reach into the ejection port and push the stupid elevator out of the way. At least Benelli fixed it on the Vinci series, even if my shotgun can't cycle to save itself with light target loads.

All of them have their quirks and foibles and annoyances. It just comes down to which ones you can tolerate the most.

I've never heard of this issue. I'm gonna grab my M2 and some dummy rounds and see if I can get mine to do it.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
And like all Benellis of that generation of design, that elevator has that peculiar tendency of locking in the up position if the bolt is charged too slow or weird or whatever. When this happens the stupid gun can't send the bolt into battery. Even the new SBE III still does this, where the only way to clear the elevator is to hang on to the charging handle with one hand and use the other and reach into the ejection port and push the stupid elevator out of the way. At least Benelli fixed it on the Vinci series, even if my shotgun can't cycle to save itself with light target loads.

I've never heard of this issue. I'm gonna grab my M2 and some dummy rounds and see if I can get mine to do it.

Cycled at is slowly as possible. Both empty and with dummy rounds.

Couldn't get the lifter to stay stuck in the up position.

I've never heard of this issue either, and I know a bunch of guys using M2s with very high round counts.