SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Topic change: Ditching an HK91A3 for just about anything else “black rifle” at this point. SCAR?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topic change: Ditching an HK91A3 for just about anything else “black rifle” at this point. SCAR? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
Say maybe you had a really nice FAL or maybe an HK91 type. Did you switch to a SCAR 17S? Are you happy with the switch? Would you do it again or recommend it to others? Are expensive glass and a Geissele trigger pretty much a must?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I owned a DSA FAL but sold it several years before the SCAR 17 was purchased.

Expensive glass isn't needed if you want to use it as a battle rifle, I'm going to use mine this fall like that with an Aimpoint M4S.

SCAR triggers are serviceable and if you are going to use it like that, you can do without a Super Scar but it is a great trigger and prices have come down a bit, I've seen them on sale for the mid to high $200s this year.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I didn't replace a classic battle rifle, but I did enough homework to know the 17S is a better choice for what I do with it. I always wanted a FAL and looked mighty hard at the PTR-91 before deciding to spend the extra money for a SCAR deal that fell into my lap. The Geissele trigger is better than stock, and a cranked recharge handle is an option you'll want if you run an optic. While an expensive optic will almost always be better at most things than a less-expensive one, in my case it's not required because I'm not jumping out of planes, kicking down doors or taking sniper-range shots with it.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I don't plan to. I have an FAL with remarkably functional iron sights, and an M1A Scout Squad with 2-7 glass. Between the two, my fun desires are fully funded, and any "need" I may have is covered as well.

I recognize that the SCAR is a better rifle than either of them, but I'm not willing to sell two rifles that I enjoy to buy one SCAR, and still need to contribute cash to the deal to have decent glass on it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't replace any of my .308 battle rifles with a SCAR 17s.I added the SCAR to the group as a modernized evolution of the breed.I saved up and put a Geiselle trigger and an Elcan DR scope on her too.Because she is at this point the finest battle rifle ever built in my opinion.

Posts: 75 | Registered: August 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I didn't replace any rifles. For me, the SCAR 17 was my entry to .308/7.62 battle rifles. I wanted a modern rifle that had been met with wide acceptance and has parts and aftermarket support, that could accept modern, short to medium range optics. I did not put a premium on accuracy, but considered it a secondary concern. My research indicated that the SCAR 17 checked all of those boxes, while being lighter weight than many competing offerings.

I put a Geissele trigger in right out of the box. A few pulls of the stock trigger told me that it wasn't awful, but it was long, creepy, and heavy.

I've now had my 17 for about 4 months, and have had it out to the range a few times. So far, I'm happy with my choice. .308 firepower in a rifle that I find handles more like a carbine than a full sized battle rifle. Sure, a 16" AR-15 is more svelte, but the SCAR 17 gets surprisingly close. At ranges of 100 yards, I shoot 2.5" groups with m80 ball, and i wager that will tighten up with match ammo and a better trigger finger than mine.

The SCAR-17 isn't a precision rifle, but it's definitely got good enough accuracy for my needs. I think you can expect 1.5ish moa with good ammo, and that is plenty fine for a 16" barrel battle rifle. There are plenty of folks taking their 17s out to 400, 500 yards or even longer with good results.

Is good glass required? Well, how far are you looking to shoot? I put a 1-6x lpv optic on mine because I feel that maximizes my rifle's potential within 300 yards and closer.

But, a 17 would be just as good wearing an Aimpoint red dot if you wanted to set up for shorter distance.

Also, my 17 has been totally reliable and it stays amazingly clean. I was rather stunned at the lack of carbon or fouling in the weapon, even after 300 rounds of m80 ball.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I've been an HK91 "purist" for decades. I have all the bells and whistles, claw mounted Hendsoldt glass, bi-pod, etc, it's chuck full of HK goodness.

Then I picked up a 17s, and that was that. It is much lighter, more accurate, better trigger options, better rail real-estate. There really is no comparison.

I'll never get rid of the HK91, but it has been relegated to safe queen duty.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a H&K 91, a couple of FAL’s, a M1a Scout, and a LMT MWS. IMHO the SCAR 17 is superior to all of them for various reasons. Both of my 17’s have been sub-MOA to 300yds on paper and to 600yds on steel with the right ammo. They have been near perfectly reliable (I had 1 bad 10rd mag). They are a couple pounds lighter than some of the others.

One of mine sent a Swarovski Z-6 back to Austria. I suggest a solid optic in a stiff mount like a Spur.

Some don’t care for The Buttstock which is replaceable. I haven’t broken one yet so the jury is out for me.

All in all the biggest negative is simply the cost. It’s the best if you can afford it but there are also some very fine weapons available for less money.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Had FALs. Love ‘em.

Bought SCAR 17.

Enjoyed SCAR 17 for several years.

Sold SCAR 17.

Still have and love my FALs.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
My first .308s were HK91s, then a Belgian FAL, then came my SCAR 17s and an HK762A1. My SCARs are additions to my collection. I like them all for different reasons and doubt I'd sell any of them.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I own everything you would call a classic battle rifle. I still have them but I prefer to shoot the SCAR if there is no other reason to pick something else (like showing someone what a classic battle rifle is and letting them shoot one).
I find the SCAR better in an overall way over everything else modern or classic for how I use it. If its the right gun for you and what changes you need to make to one depends on how you intend to use it. I would recommend the Geissle trigger but I shot it with the stock trigger for quite awhile and my scores didn't take some noticeable jump when I switched. My SHTF fan version has a simple aimpoint setup which is modest in price. My competition one has a NF on it, but there are many cheaper options so is expensive glass needed, no.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot a buddies buddy Fal really liked it.

A year later shot my buddies Scar 17. Loved it !

Had my very own FDE Scar 17 6 months later. Big Grin

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Replace, no. Have both, yes.

Bought my HK91 in 1985, and bought a Springfield Armory SAR-4800 and Armscorp M14 in the next few years. Still have them all after getting my SCAR 17S.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Nope, just added to the stable.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
FAL here. Like the SCAR, but no need for it.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
No.

I like my roller lock battle rifles.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I didn't sell my battle rifles either. Just added the SCAR 17H to the collection.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I laughed at this. The only .308 gun I hate to shoot is a roller locked one. I'm not sure if stock matters, but in any case this is the only HK I own that truly sucks to shoot. You are tougher than me. Just sayin'.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
I have a StG58, HK91, M1A, BM59E, Saiga 308 and a couple of AR10's. I cannot see spending that much for the SCAR since any of the aformentioned rifles would work for me in a pinch. It would be nice to have a SCAR 17S but not at the price they want for it.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:

I laughed at this. The only .308 gun I hate to shoot is a roller locked one. I'm not sure if stock matters, but in any case this is the only HK I own that truly sucks to shoot. You are tougher than me. Just sayin'.

There are several different recoil buffers available for the HK91. I put a G3SG1 stock which included a heavy buffer on one of mine and it made a noticeable difference.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post