SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Topic change: Ditching an HK91A3 for just about anything else “black rifle” at this point. SCAR?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topic change: Ditching an HK91A3 for just about anything else “black rifle” at this point. SCAR? Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Galil 308. The 556 isn’t as good as an AR but the 308 looks to be a solid choice. The 308 ARs I’ve seen have been a bit ammo picky.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
The 308 ARs I’ve seen have been a bit ammo picky.

That may depend upon the brand of AR-10. I've shot the following AR-10s in 308 and all shot well with the match ammo used:
Larue OBR
DPMS SASS
Black Rain Ordnance
Daniel Defense
JP
KAC SR-25
GA Precision

Granted, I didn't shoot a bunch of ammo boxes through these rifles. And bullets were limited to SMK 168 & 175 from Federal, Black Hills, Fiocchi, and Corbon. Plus Hornady 155, 168, and 178 bullets from Hornady and Black Hills.

I trust feedback from buddies with AR-10s from LWRC, POF, and Wilson Combat. They state their rifles shoot a bunch factory loads quite well.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
To be honest I have no idea what make they are. I just notice feed issues at the range. Might be steel, or trying to run s oft point hunting loads. A couple of guys in particular. I want to go down there and spray some oil or something but I mind my business.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For quality-built 308 AR-10s, cycling issues are rarely due to the gun itself. The issues I've seen in matches were ammo or magazine related. Ammo issues were from loading the rounds too long or too hot. Magazine issues were the normal ones related to magazines. ARs chambered in 6.5CM run pretty much as well as 308.

The challenges increase when the AR has a 6mm bore, which few people see in the wild. Per discussions with John Paul (JP Rifles) over dinner at this year's Team Safari match, a primary issue is over-gassing and excessive bolt cycling speed. John states that 6CM pretty much demands an extended gas system -- and helped with an adjustable gas block and tuned BCG/spring/buffer.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post