SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Topic change: Ditching an HK91A3 for just about anything else “black rifle” at this point. SCAR?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Topic change: Ditching an HK91A3 for just about anything else “black rifle” at this point. SCAR? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, gives me plenty to think about.
 
Posts: 9715 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
I like my roller lock battle rifles.

I laughed at this. The only .308 gun I hate to shoot is a roller locked one. I'm not sure if stock matters, but in any case this is the only HK I own that truly sucks to shoot. You are tougher than me. Just sayin'.


There are several different recoil buffers available for the HK91. I put a G3SG1 stock which included a heavy buffer on one of mine and it made a noticeable difference.

The clubfoot stock with the HK21 pad and buffer and really tames the beast ... this is just a PTR-91 Pistol, and it is a fire-breather!



To the OP's question, even before I found out about my osteoporosis I wouldn't have bought one, and while I've never had a StG58, blfuller sums it up nicely

quote:
Originally posted by blfuller:
I have a StG58, HK91, M1A, BM59E, Saiga 308 and a couple of AR10's. I cannot see spending that much for the SCAR since any of the aforementioned rifles would work for me in a pinch. It would be nice to have a SCAR 17S but not at the price they want for it.

IMHO, they are abusing the free market by creating an imaginary supply and demand shortage ... but that's their prerogative, and I can't blame them for wanting to squeeze every dollar they can from every rifle they sell ... it is the American way!


If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
 
Posts: 4812 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Did not replace, added to the battle rifle line up.
 
Posts: 265 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
Point blank, the HK91A3 I hate shooting that my old man threatened to shoot my dog with and leveled at my chest when I was about nine years old might turn into a SCAR 16S FDE with Vltor forend and stock tomorrow. Something about Surefire and pressure switches also. Couldn’t find another one locally and I’m not going to wait months and months. My screwed up shoulder can’t take the abuse so I don’t shoot it and I’ve got a better battle rifle, to my mind, with the M1 that I can operate faster and more accurately.

Thoughts?

Note that there’s no email address in my profile, so this isn’t a thread seeking to subvert the classifieds.
 
Posts: 9715 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
If your changing the topic to the 16 its about as light recoiling as you can ask in a rifle. I wouldn't do anything like change the stock personally. I've tried a few different ones including the Vltor and the KDG and its simply not an improvement. Before I swapped the forend I'd change the panels on the bottom and left side(I use the Parker Mountain Machine ones).
I've shot this setup lots and lots and its just about perfect.


“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
 
Posts: 7297 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
I’ve been trying to run down a 17s for weeks locally and nobody has them. Since I have to pay a 10% tax on anything I have transferred in from out of state, buying anything I need to throw better than a tax stamp on isn’t affordable at the moment. I’ve seen some for sale on the local board, but I don’t have $5k for someone’s fully-“upgraded” custom project and guys selling stock versions don’t wanna trade (can’t fault them).

I could honestly be happy with replacing it with a .556 rifle that feeds from USGI mags and keep the fun stuff feeding from the same pool.
 
Posts: 9715 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a SCAR locally to me. But they can be found online. I'm not sure and have never heard of the idea there is an out of state tax that doesn't apply instate, but I'm sure you know your laws. Your HK should sell easily if in good condition on an HK specific site. I'd never buy someone's upgraded scar that's silly. In any case I'd guess that you'd get 2K for the HK (I did when I sold my last one) but I don't follow this market anymore.


“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
 
Posts: 7297 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
Yeah, any firearm transfer into Washington state, we pay a 10% “usage fee” tax on the current market value of. It’s working exactly as designed, dissuading us from “importing” more guns from out of state. I hate it.
 
Posts: 9715 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
It took me over a year to acquire a SCAR-17, and I managed to get one only because I broke down and ordered one from an online gunshop that happened to have a black one in stock.

I'm glad to have it, though, as I very much enjoy the 17. If the 17 is really what you're after, then you'll probably have to order online.


-ShneaSIG


Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"
 
Posts: 10630 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I still have an STG58 along with a Scar 17. Yes, the Scar is a better tool for my use but I saw no reason to let go of the FAL.


_________________________
"You can't fix stupid" - Ron White
 
Posts: 1605 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Cold War era battle rifles are rad, and still useable. The premium for the SCAR just doesn't work out for me. Funny that I spent much more on my SIG AMT impulse buy, that 10% sales tax hurt! If I want a combat rifle I have a well sorted AR-15. For lightweight 30 cal I have been looking at Kimber bolt actions. If I had local access to big pig hunting I would Have reason for the SCAR.
 
Posts: 8267 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I took a Greek SAR 8 and had it modified to a 91k by T. Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems with the paddle magazine release. I then added a Spuhr forearm, a Spuhr collapsible stock, and a B&T optic mount with an Aimpoint CompM2. While it's not the latest and greatest, I retain magazine commonality with my other H&K types, can collapse the stock to use with armor, mount an appropriate optic, and put a laser on if required. It's also the only 7.62x51 rifle approved by my agency absent SWAT precision rifles.


What, me worry?
 
Posts: 1968 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
I had that shop put a 24 hour hold on the 16S for me. I'm debating actually taking the drive or just having them text me a few pics and use a card to put a down payment on it. Listed my HK on a local board and got an offer for $2k that I haven't replied to yet. I'd have to move a few other things to make up the difference, but I think I might just go for it. Only SCAR I could find within a few hour's drive.
 
Posts: 9715 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I love my PTR's but I must say (and I am cringing as I say this) I much prefer my DPMS G2's. I can't believe I have anything good to say about DPMS, but I own two G2's and think they're great.

the quad rail that came on mine where heavy as hell and garbage, but otherwise mine are awesome. I had ADCO spin down the SS heavy barrels on mine to shed some weight too.

Trigger is very nice out of the box and both have been 100% reliable even when suppressed.


E.S. Dunbar
________________________________
I'm confused...wait, maybe I'm not.
 
Posts: 6511 | Location: Toledo, Ohio | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K.O.A.M.:
I took a Greek SAR 8 and had it modified to a 91k by T. Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems with the paddle magazine release. I then added a Spuhr forearm, a Spuhr collapsible stock, and a B&T optic mount with an Aimpoint CompM2. While it's not the latest and greatest, I retain magazine commonality with my other H&K types, can collapse the stock to use with armor, mount an appropriate optic, and put a laser on if required. It's also the only 7.62x51 rifle approved by my agency absent SWAT precision rifles.

I'm thinking, without pictures it doesn't exist!
Pictures man!


If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
 
Posts: 4812 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Hunterex
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I had that shop put a 24 hour hold on the 16S for me. I'm debating actually taking the drive or just having them text me a few pics and use a card to put a down payment on it. Listed my HK on a local board and got an offer for $2k that I haven't replied to yet. I'd have to move a few other things to make up the difference, but I think I might just go for it. Only SCAR I could find within a few hour's drive.


Not that my opinion means a thing, but I think you should do it. You've been wanting one for ages. With the current political situations in play, there's no time like the present.

Is your PayPal address still the same ?
 
Posts: 99 | Registered: November 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
Originally posted by K.O.A.M.:
I took a Greek SAR 8 and had it modified to a 91k by T. Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems with the paddle magazine release. I then added a Spuhr forearm, a Spuhr collapsible stock, and a B&T optic mount with an Aimpoint CompM2. While it's not the latest and greatest, I retain magazine commonality with my other H&K types, can collapse the stock to use with armor, mount an appropriate optic, and put a laser on if required. It's also the only 7.62x51 rifle approved by my agency absent SWAT precision rifles.

I'm thinking, without pictures it doesn't exist!
Pictures man!


Exactly my thoughts. I have a SAR 8, built two months before the 922R cut off date, and have been looking at the Spurh stock. Trying to get a line on a heavy buffer too, but they seem to be out of stock.



NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"
 
Posts: 6545 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
Originally posted by K.O.A.M.:
I took a Greek SAR 8 and had it modified to a 91k by T. Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems with the paddle magazine release. I then added a Spuhr forearm, a Spuhr collapsible stock, and a B&T optic mount with an Aimpoint CompM2. While it's not the latest and greatest, I retain magazine commonality with my other H&K types, can collapse the stock to use with armor, mount an appropriate optic, and put a laser on if required. It's also the only 7.62x51 rifle approved by my agency absent SWAT precision rifles.

I'm thinking, without pictures it doesn't exist!
Pictures man!


Exactly my thoughts. I have a SAR 8, built two months before the 922R cut off date, and have been looking at the Spurh stock. Trying to get a line on a heavy buffer too, but they seem to be out of stock.


I'll get it out of the safe tomorrow and take some pictures. I like the Spuhr better than the factory "all or nothing" stock. I haven't felt the need for a heavy buffer yet, but I don't put more than 60-80 rounds through it at a time.


What, me worry?
 
Posts: 1968 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
It seems many that shoot the HK91 have issue with the recoil and the stock plastic butt pad (myself included). All would discover they have a new, great, pleasant shooter if they swapped the stock pad with the soft rubber one from the HK21. A simple swap, relatively cheap when considering HK hardware.
 
Posts: 1334 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
It seems many that shoot the HK91 have issue with the recoil and the stock plastic butt pad (myself included). All would discover they have a new, great, pleasant shooter if they swapped the stock pad with the soft rubber one from the HK21. A simple swap, relatively cheap when considering HK hardware.


Well, yes and no...

I have the G3SG1 stock with the factory HK21 butt pad you suggest. It's a long disappointing saga.

The story begins in the old days when 'you sucked and HK hated you'

The GOOD:

I replaced the standard plastic butt pad with the improved rubber HK21 pad and it was awesome. Larger surface area and shock absorbing properties one associates with a rubber butt pad. Combined with the heavy duty buffer in the G3SG1 stock, it made my 91 a VERY smooth shooter and that rifle is a tack driver to boot.

The BAD:

Back in the 80s, HK made their furniture out of plastic. No, not polymer, not engineered plastic, just plastic. Despite my HK91 spending 98.5% of it's time being pampered and sitting quietly in my vault, I would only occasionally shoot it and when I did, I gave it extra care in handling. Despite all that, I noticed that around the pin storage holes in the plastic stock, small hairline cracks were beginning to show. You had to look at the stock closely in sunlight or with a flashlight to see them. Over time they grew and grew.

I called HK about the issue and was told to forward the stock for their inspection. When they received it, they told me that it was my fault and I hadn't installed it properly. Bear in mind, the original butt pad was VERY tight and required quite bit of effort to remove. I promptly lubed the pins inside the stock and the clips on the new butt pad with grease to make sure it would snap on with minimal effort. Anyway, they told me they wouldn't warranty my stock and it would cost some absurd amount to replace it and have the butt pad installed "properly".

So, I told them I used an original HK OEM part, which had no instructions on how to replace the butt pad 'properly' and to go ahead and send my stock back "as is" and I would make sure to take my rifle to the range as often as possible and show everyone at the range that "Yes Indeed, HKs do in fact break."

In a week or so, they sent me a brand new stock with the rubber butt pad installed. I was elated! I didn't suck and HK didn't hate me after all!

Once agin, my HK91 lived a very pampered life of being shot maybe once or twice every 5 years or so. I was happy as could be, because HK had replaced my stock and "properly" installed the HK21 butt pad. Life was good!

Then, one day I took my beloved HK out to give it a Breakfree wipe down. Low & behold... the same tiny cracks extending from the pin storage holes were present, just like my first stock. This time, they were even longer and more obvious.

That rifle resides to this day in my vault. The stock isn't unserviceable but it's certainly inducive to making me shake my head with disgust.

It's not like it broke when I buttstroked a commie invader or singlehandedly laid waste to a legion of ground hogs. Nope, it cracked just sitting in my vault.

So, my advice to anyone with plastic HK stock is to leave it as is. I'm not sure there is a good way to remove the original plastic butt pad and replace it without inducing a goodly amount of stress in the process.

To this day, I'm convinced that the 'plastic' HK used for their butt stocks in the 80s was actually solidified licorice.
 
Posts: 4930 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Topic change: Ditching an HK91A3 for just about anything else “black rifle” at this point. SCAR?

© SIGforum 2018