SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    30-30 lever action recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 lever action recommendations Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
^^^ While I'm not a proponent of banning most things, I could make an exception for the above due to "criminal ugliness"! Eek

I do think Mossburg makes a "regular" levergun, though, too. Has anybody here had any experience with one? Are they any good?

Posts: 8538 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dusting this thread off as I am still on the hunt for a 30-30, the market around here just hasn't produced yet.

For those that suggested the Winchester 94, any truth that they can launch brass into your face?

My Dad thought that as a lefty the top eject offered by the 94 versus the Marlin 336 would be better for me but not sure I want to put up with that if that is the norm with those rifles, thoughts?

Posts: 339 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Henry has a new side loading 30/30, looks fantastic. Can be loaded from the front or side.
If I was in the market its the one I would check out.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Interesting..... I'll have to check this out^^^^^^^^

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another good source for used lever actions can be local auctions and estate sales. You just need to have cash ready in hand to buy.
And dont overlook the Ted Williams brand of levers
as they are Winchester made but sold under Sears brand name. I have one and it is amazingly accurate.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
You just need to have cash ready in hand to buy.

Guess it needs to be said again. Gun show rules apply. Every year or two I hear someone ask if I or someone else take plastic. Its not how private sales work. If you can't afford the gun, you can't afford it. None of this instant time sales thing. You pays up front. Not having the cash seriously limits your ability to negotiate. If you lack the self control not to spend it on something else, maybe you don't need a gun.

I know the title is 30-30, but maybe as a few others have said, try some of the healthier calibers. I have a 1940 production m94 in 32 Winchester special. Its a big boys caliber, delivering power in the .30-06 range. Plenty.

Ammo can be a problem until you realize you need some. Then you go on a regional search. You find it in the oddest places. It wasn't even subject to the 2008 Obama scare. Sometimes semi-odd calibers have their advantages. Walk the gun shows at a slower pace and look.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
You just need to have cash ready in hand to buy.

Guess it needs to be said again. Gun show rules apply. Every year or two I hear someone ask if I or someone else take plastic. Its not how private sales work. If you can't afford the gun, you can't afford it. None of this instant time sales thing. You pays up front. Not having the cash seriously limits your ability to negotiate. If you lack the self control not to spend it on something else, maybe you don't need a gun.

I know the title is 30-30, but maybe as a few others have said, try some of the healthier calibers. I have a 1940 production m94 in 32 Winchester special. Its a big boys caliber, delivering power in the .30-06 range. Plenty.

Ammo can be a problem until you realize you need some. Then you go on a regional search. You find it in the oddest places. It wasn't even subject to the 2008 Obama scare. Sometimes semi-odd calibers have their advantages. Walk the gun shows at a slower pace and look.

Sorry to drift, but 32 Special has power in the 30-06 range? Just looking for explanation, and I think the rest of your post is spot on.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ My 1906 made 94 is in .32WS and it was my understanding it was just marginally more powerful than 30-30.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:

but 32 Special has power in the 30-06 range? Just looking for explanation, and I think the rest of your post is spot on.

It was why they introduced it. They were losing sales to the hotter calibers. Fire one and you'll feel the recoil. It sure is a step up from the 30-30 and I equate it to 8mm or .30-06. Its not flat shooting, but its a healthy woods caliber. For almost all purposes, it handles and carries just like a 30-30. Same size action and frame, just a little bigger bullet.

If I had an old ammo catalog, I'd post specs.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
32 Winchester special

Factory 32 Winchester gets under a hundred feet per second on 30-30 with a 170gr bullet and falls short of 30-06 by nearly 500fps with a projectile of the same weight when the 06 is throwing a 180 gr pill.

The factory Winchester load was a 170 grain bullet that clocked 2283 fps at the muzzle.

Given the similar ballistics, the availability of ammo, and the better sectional density and advancements made in .30 caliber projectiles in recent years I'd stick with the old .30wcf all day every day. Your mileage may of course vary.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Every American should have a 30-30 lever gun. Winchester or Marlin. It's like the Ford/Chevy debate. My first centerfire rifle was a Marlin 336 and my current deer rifle (if I ever go deer hunting again) would be my pre 64 Winchester 94. Both have their strong points and weak points, but both are excellent firearms that are classics for a reason. New production Marlins are iffy, but that's ok. There are literally millions of lever guns out there, most of which are still in great shape.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post