SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Silencerco, we have a problem. (RESOLVED)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silencerco, we have a problem. (RESOLVED) Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted

D'oh! Eek

I've read that they are replacing the Saker trifecta mount system with something better at no charge... hopefully that's the case. I have trifecta brakes and FH on about 6 rifles. PITA to swap them out but better than this situation. Pity, as I really like the mounting system. I guess the tolerances are too tight or doesn't allow for heat expansion or crud or whatever.

Contacting Silecerco today. I have confidence they'll take care of it. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1KPerDay,

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
No doubt they will take care of you.

But man those mounts have been problematic. I watched my buddy launch his Omega downrange.

Very tiny baffle strike.

They fixed it for free of course, great company.

Makes me like my much maligned 51 tooth mount. It just works.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Strap wrench. Bailed me out a few times.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3599 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
I've seen similar things happen with the AAC mounts. We had one where the flash hider unscrewed from the barrel and stuck in the can. After soaking it in oil for a few hours, we were able to get it out. Realistically, you need to clean out the end of the can and put a light coat of oil on the end of the break before putting the can on.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Looks like I put this in the wrong section, sorry

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
No doubt they will take care of you.

But man those mounts have been problematic. I watched my buddy launch his Omega downrange.

Very tiny baffle strike.

They fixed it for free of course, great company.

Makes me like my much maligned 51 tooth mount. It just works.

This is a Saker with the MAAD mount, different from the Omega mounts.

OP let us know what they say. I have several mounts that I might have to switch out. Which is a shame because I don't think I'll have enough clearance with the locking ring mounts given my handguard lengths.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've read that they are replacing the Saker trifecta mount system with something better at no charge

Would that be the ASR mounts?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
I've read that they are replacing the Saker trifecta mount system with something better at no charge

Would that be the ASR mounts?

Yes

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hamfisted
posted Hide Post
Make sure the MAAD mount is securely tightened in the Saker and don't over tighten it onto the host. I only had that happen once a few years ago when I got my first Saker/MAAD can. Hasn't happened again in about a hundred on/off cycles. When removing the Saker from the host, grab the MAAD and not the Saker body itself. It's a good mount system, just takes some getting use to.

-Mike

Posts: 270 | Location: Ft Lauderdale | Registered: October 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
But man those mounts have been problematic. I watched my buddy launch his Omega downrange

Was your buddy using an adapter to adapter, to use the Trifecta mount when that happen ?? Or was it from the factory ASR mount that it happen on ?

What I notice on the Trifecta is that you have to keep the muzzle device and the adapter clean. I use a nylon brush on both and then lightly oiled up engagement points on the adapter. After each session at the range and haven't had anymore problems since.

As to the problem your having now, use a rubber mallet to tap all round the adapter to break up the the build up. Mount the SCAR up to a vise, so you can have both hands free. Then use a strap wrench (or monkey fist it) to break it free.

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamfisted:
Make sure the MAAD mount is securely tightened in the Saker and don't over tighten it onto the host. I only had that happen once a few years ago when I got my first Saker/MAAD can. Hasn't happened again in about a hundred on/off cycles. When removing the Saker from the host, grab the MAAD and not the Saker body itself. It's a good mount system, just takes some getting use to.

-Mike
Thank you and to all above for your patience and help with a suppressor noob.

Call off the dogs; I "fixed" the suppressor. Using the included wrenches (whaddaya know... there ARE two wrenches in the box LOL) I was able to get the MAAD attachement off the brake and back together with the can... installed and removed a couple times, lubed it, shot it, removed it. Everything is cool now. I spoke to a couple other knowledgeable people and they like the MAAD mounts better than the ASR replacement, so I'm sticking with this system. Mods you can lock this if you want.

Picture of dkv
posted Hide Post
I've had this happen.
Lots of oil, a strap wrench, and some muscle.
I moved to the ASR system; I wish I had known that Silencerco would foot the bill.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Connecticut Shoreline | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:

OP let us know what they say. I have several mounts that I might have to switch out. Which is a shame because I don't think I'll have enough clearance with the locking ring mounts given my handguard lengths.
Yeah a couple guys on the FN forum have the same concern; the ASR won't fit under their handguards on their shorty rifles. I'm keeping the trifecta/MAAD system. It was just a problem of me not being familiar enough with the equipment. Thanks again for your help.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkv:
I've had this happen.
Lots of oil, a strap wrench, and some muscle.
I moved to the ASR system; I wish I had known that Silencerco would foot the bill.
If you kept your receipts you might talk them into a refund. Just an idea.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I too had some concerns with this type of setup (mine is a Saker 556K and Trifecta MAAD mount), but after learning to reset the mount (ensuring the teeth in the MAAD are completely unlocked - you use the side of the wrench to completely unlock the mount when it's dismounted), tighten the suppressor on correctly (but don't crank the everlivingshitoutofit), and dismount it as mentioned above, I have had no issues with it.

Also if it get 'stuck' on the rifle, a couple of light raps on the suppressor (muzzle end) with a rubber mallet can help get the teeth unstuck.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
quote:
But man those mounts have been problematic. I watched my buddy launch his Omega downrange

Was your buddy using an adapter to adapter, to use the Trifecta mount when that happen ?? Or was it from the factory ASR mount that it happen on ?

What I notice on the Trifecta is that you have to keep the muzzle device and the adapter clean. I use a nylon brush on both and then lightly oiled up engagement points on the adapter. After each session at the range and haven't had anymore problems since.

As to the problem your having now, use a rubber mallet to tap all round the adapter to break up the the build up. Mount the SCAR up to a vise, so you can have both hands free. Then use a strap wrench (or monkey fist it) to break it free.

Factory ASR mount.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post