SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Speaking of AR15s, Old Bushmaster Question?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of AR15s, Old Bushmaster Question? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I have two Ban Era A2 Bushmaster AR15s back from the ABCR's of what AR should you purchase days. (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, Rock River)

Anyway I was doing some cleaning recently and found both my Bushmasters have Mag Patricle inspected barrels? Did all the old Bushmasters have this? I never paid it any mind and just happened to be looking at the barrel markings the other day and it caught my eye for some reason.

Anyway I thought that was kinda cool.

Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall from their old marketing material that their chrome lined barrels were MP inspected. I have an old 20" from them in the safe, but it's been shortened to 18" and turned down under the handguards. I'll see if any markings survived.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a ban era 20" A2 Bushmaster,but I believe that the barrel is not chrome-lined.I will drag it out tonight and see what markings it bears.

Posts: 75 | Registered: August 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Yes, the barrels were chrome lined and MP tested.
During the early ban years Bushmaster was considered one of the better AR style rifles, although there were those who would piss and moan because Bushmaster claimed they were mil-spec (usually by the grossly non-spec Colt fan boys).
Their bastardized 10 round reduced capacity mags did suck, however.

How they compare to today's offerings I could not say.
My 1995, which has since had a complete front sight w/bayo lug added and the barrel threaded, has never failed but I certainly do not use it to the extent some forum members use their rifles.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Where are the markings, and what do they look like?

I have a pre-Remington Windham-made 14.5" Bushmaster that is my go-to gun. It has never malfunctioned in any way through a couple of thousand rounds.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:

During the early ban years Bushmaster was considered one of the better AR style rifles, although there were those who would piss and moan because Bushmaster claimed they were mil-spec (usually by the grossly non-spec Colt fan boys).

This. I still have my preban A2 that I got in the late 80s. This was at the time the "mil-spec" Colts still had the large front double headed receiver screw, the cut off bolt carrier rear, and may not have even had the full mag release fence. I remember my Bushy A2 looked a lot more like the real GI version than what Colt was pumping out at the time.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
This. I still have my preban A2 that I got in the late 80s. This was at the time the "mil-spec" Colts still had the large front double headed receiver screw, the cut off bolt carrier rear, and may not have even had the full mag release fence. I remember my Bushy A2 looked a lot more like the real GI version than what Colt was pumping out at the time.

Colts also had that block in the lower receiver that had not been milled out and the pins were sized differently front and rear.

Regards, Steve

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Where are the markings, and what do they look like?

I have a pre-Remington Windham-made 14.5" Bushmaster that is my go-to gun. It has never malfunctioned in any way through a couple of thousand rounds.

Mine is a 20", A2 configuration and the markings, which appear to be stamped, are on the top of the barrel Between the front sight and the flash suppressor.

Remington never owned them, they were bought by the Freedom Group (Cerebus) around 2006 (i.e. post ban).
Remington is another holding of Cerebus' that was purchased a year or so later.

Regards, Steve

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Windham era Bushmasters were generally MP tested and chrome-lined with the exception of their stainless bbl'd guns.

Not sure about the Illion and newer Alabama guns (frankly, when they got bought by Remington, I lost interest).

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is a LE / Gov't only marked ban era A2 carbine with a 14.5 and a factory permanently installed Izzy flash hider. Not neutered so a bayonet fits on the Izzy hider just fine.
Chrome lined MPI 1/9.
I don't treat it so great and have shot it a great deal. It has been extremely reliable and is a great rifle.
It was new old stock I bought the day after the end of the ban to celebrate.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post