SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    22 LR for small game
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
22 LR for small game Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BDMF:
Man, I dont even know where to begin! As usual, a wealth of information!

I have a Henry H001 thats going to get time in the field, and I have a Winchester 39A thats was purchased sometime in the late 1920's? Early 1930's? I'd have to check the serial number. I've got a bone stock 10/22 from the early 1980's, a Sig 522 ( too heavy, leaving it at home), and a couple of Remington bolts that I grew up with.

I looked at upgrading the 10/22 with a Fedderson barrel, overmolded stock and a Brimstone action package. For what that costs I could buy a new rifle and scope, and for some reason, I kinda like the old plain 10/22. Probably been shooting it like that for too many years.

Light weight means something, I'll be walking/sitting/fire roads in a 4 wheeler. Mostly walking, thats the part I like.

I'm going to go find a CZ455, Ruger 77/22 and an American to try on for size. The American and the Savage MKII ($169??? holy shit!) sound like they punch above their weight class, as it were. At those prices, I certainly dont have a problem getting one of each!

Mars, the video on the American was excellent, thank you! The Aguila 500fps ammo is really intriguing, I'll have to pick up a couple of boxes just for fun.

DS, thats one hell of a list, I was up most of the night digging through it.

My kids have mentioned that they're willing to sacrifice some of the time they spend on homework or chores to assist in evaluating rifle/ammo choices. Roll Eyes Yeah...Lemme see that last round of grades and we'll talk.

Anyway, instinctively I'm headed for a bolt action. No idea why, just feels right.

That being said, does anybody have an opinion (loaded question, I know...) about optics?


For light weight.

CZ's 455 in synthetic black stock with treaded barrel and a 2moa red dot. Hard to beat this combo. If you need some magnification, leopould's 4x rimfire scope is fantastic.

If you want light weight and semi auto, CZ's 512 and the same optic combo. I am becoming a fan of small red 2moa red dots on 22lr for quick shooting.

I have both, the 455 currently has my night vision set up, thanks to marzy's recomendation.
The 512 currently has a bsa sweet 22lr 3-9 on it. I sold the 4x leupold when i sold my built up 10/22. I wish i had not.


I will take some pictures of both tomorrow.
 
Posts: 5434 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for an American compact, threaded. I have a little hole in the wall gun shop that I like to buy from. I've told them to pick up the RAR and let me know when the first Tikka comes in.

I have a Clearidge 3-9x32 on my 522. I'm thinking 2 more of those should be fine for what I'm doing, unless I hear better ideas ( better performance, less cost).

I know that Tikka says they will have the T1x on the shelves in April, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I need to get my hands on a CZ. I've waanted one for years, never could seem to pick one up.
 
Posts: 132 | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't had my hands on one of the new Tikka's yet, but I'd put the CZ 455 or 452 above anything else so far in that price range.
 
Posts: 668 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Yup. I have a 455 Varmint and feel no need or desire to sample anything else, even though I have several other 22LR rifles that perform pretty well in their right.

We have the Tikka on order but frankly my CZ has been so good that I can't imagine how the Finn will be significantly better.
 
Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
CZ 455 varmint. It is a Heavy barrel, no sights, grooved for scope. Triggers on the 452 and 455 can be easily adjusted. Both great rifles. I can consistently hit a gong at 200 yds (off a bench). Very nice quality for the money.
 
Posts: 1533 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BDMF:
I'm looking for an American compact, threaded. I have a little hole in the wall gun shop that I like to buy from. I've told them to pick up the RAR and let me know when the first Tikka comes in.

I have a Clearidge 3-9x32 on my 522. I'm thinking 2 more of those should be fine for what I'm doing, unless I hear better ideas ( better performance, less cost).

I know that Tikka says they will have the T1x on the shelves in April, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I need to get my hands on a CZ. I've waanted one for years, never could seem to pick one up.


I’m also keeping an eye out for a stainless/threaded American rimfire, they can be had on gunbroker for about 300 bucks so I may just order one. As for scopes, I’m a huge fan of the leupold vx1 rimfire 2-7x28. I have one sitting around just waiting for a rifle to go on and the other is on my 77/22. It’s held it’s zero for like 2 years now of fairly heavy use. Leupold makes a fixed 4 power version as well which is nice.
 
Posts: 4906 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage B22 with a suppressor on it.
This thing is CRAZY quiet with subsonic rounds.






This is where my signature goes.
 
Posts: 987 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
This thing is CRAZY quiet with subsonic rounds.

Every 22lr firearm -- regardless of barrel length and action type -- is quiet with subsonic ammo and a suppressor.
 
Posts: 6071 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
my 2 cz's






 
Posts: 5434 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

We have the Tikka on order but frankly my CZ has been so good that I can't imagine how the Finn will be significantly better.


I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts when the Tikka comes in.

DS: DAMN! How is that 455 set up? Both the optic and the pack?
 
Posts: 132 | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BDMF:
quote:

We have the Tikka on order but frankly my CZ has been so good that I can't imagine how the Finn will be significantly better.


I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts when the Tikka comes in.

DS: DAMN! How is that 455 set up? Both the optic and the pack?


With my aac pilot, super nice. It is a bit heavy, not really a walking around gun. But great on seated night time predator control. With a 10x swfa scope i can shoot twigs of branches at 50 yds. With a 2 moa red dot you can pack it for squirells and chipmunks all day
 
Posts: 5434 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
$500 will get you a very nice CZ 452, keep looking.
 
Posts: 994 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:
Originally posted by BDMF:
quote:

We have the Tikka on order but frankly my CZ has been so good that I can't imagine how the Finn will be significantly better.


I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts when the Tikka comes in.

DS: DAMN! How is that 455 set up? Both the optic and the pack?


With my aac pilot, super nice. It is a bit heavy, not really a walking around gun. But great on seated night time predator control. With a 10x swfa scope i can shoot twigs of branches at 50 yds. With a 2 moa red dot you can pack it for squirells and chipmunks all day


That’s badass.
 
Posts: 4906 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I've been popping rats at 50 yards with ease with the RAR and the 19mm 1.25-5X thermal. I rid myself of the battery pack by going to Kentli 3000mah LiPo rechargable batteries. They will run all night long with no problem, plus the hour drive home when I forget to turn it off. LOL



____________________________

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
 
Posts: 31311 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I'm always changing out my .22 game guns, but last year I stumbled into this and it's proven quite perfect! Henry octagon 24" threaded version with a can. Plenty accurate, super quiet and kind of a cool mix of old school lever gun, but with a can.
 
Posts: 451 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
I'm always changing out my .22 game guns, but last year I stumbled into this and it's proven quite perfect! Henry octagon 24" threaded version with a can. Plenty accurate, super quiet and kind of a cool mix of old school lever gun, but with a can.


Where in Alaska are you?
 
Posts: 4906 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
I'm always changing out my .22 game guns, but last year I stumbled into this and it's proven quite perfect! Henry octagon 24" threaded version with a can. Plenty accurate, super quiet and kind of a cool mix of old school lever gun, but with a can.


Where in Alaska are you?

Anchorage mostly..
 
Posts: 451 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
I'm always changing out my .22 game guns, but last year I stumbled into this and it's proven quite perfect! Henry octagon 24" threaded version with a can. Plenty accurate, super quiet and kind of a cool mix of old school lever gun, but with a can.


Where in Alaska are you?

Anchorage mostly..


Ahh, I’m moving to dillingham in a few months, you wouldn’t by chance want to hold on to a few guns for the summer while I rehab my ankle down in Arizona wild you?
 
Posts: 4906 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    22 LR for small game

© SIGforum 2019